• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting to where i want to go

Sil

Processor Phenom ii X4 40
Motherboard GA-MA785GM-US2H
Cooling Hyper 212+ p/p
Memory G.Skill 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 460 / Sapphire HD 6950
Display(s) Asus VH247
Case Case, what case, me see no case
Power Supply Antec 650 New TP
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores 17k Vantage 1k Heaven x
Hey all, i really want to get into bios disassembly and modification, programing in some sort of C language.

and eventually start to make my own apps, i realize this wont happen today or tomorrow, but i would like to start today, or tomorrow, and by next year have some good knowledge under my belt.

i would like to set some goals, and my first goal is to properly disassemble vga bios, and start to learn to understand what i am looking at.

i have experience in disassembling gm p4 ecu rom's, and creating definition files using addresses found in disassembly, which allowed a program(i did not make) to change the values in a rom file to make the ecu do what i wanted.

i guess i just want to take past experiences and be able to apply them, in greater depth and understanding to the vga bios world, so in the future i can do "what i want to do" via a program (that i wrote) to my vga bios :p and perhaps motherboard, etc.

dont really want to go to school for this, as i dont plan on making a career out of it. at least i dont see that happening, but i guess that depends how far i go, if i like it and whatnot.

so what would be a good place to start, i tried learning c+ couple years ago but that failed due to lack of proper guides on the net (outdated), and program compiler versions. it really was discouraging :shadedshu

so i think i would like to focus on disassembly :)

if anyone links to guides older than 2010, i'll shoot you lol

Sil

Processor Phenom ii X4 40
Motherboard GA-MA785GM-US2H
Cooling Hyper 212+ p/p
Memory G.Skill 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 460 / Sapphire HD 6950
Display(s) Asus VH247
Case Case, what case, me see no case
Power Supply Antec 650 New TP
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores 17k Vantage 1k Heaven x
thank you, i did read an older article that im guessing that article was referring to, about the newer parser not being open sourced, which turned me off, but i bookmarked that, and ill def check it out, and do research and reading.
im in the process of moving out of country, so i wont be able to get into it hardcore, but i have time to read :)
so i will check that out and see how far i can get.

umm, are there any courses on low lvl driver programing? and what would they be called, and what would the prerequisite be, if im going to start i may as well start at the bottom and work my way up. not going to take a course, but would like to know what to start researching.