• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ghetto Mods

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Forgot this thread:

20V solar panel to an MPTT controller to charge a battery i found in abandoned building that had a large amount of plant growing lamps, totally not a suspicious location at all

View attachment 292745

The solar panel charges the MPTT controller, which then charges the battery that absolutely needed to be topped up with distilled water despite being "maintenance free" - but it was too slow so i of course used the jumpstarter for my car and wire from a Cat6 cable to force-feed more juice into it

In the black box is my old UPS battery, and i absolutely intend to mix and match all these batteries into one bigger juicebox for fun explosions when i go camping again
I got a rack just like that this weekend as in your photo. I disliked a bit how the verticals stacked on top of each other somewhat imperfectly without some beefier part to reinforce the join. Did your vertical pieces come as a single piece or two pieces that have to be stacked/joined by the horizonal bars at the midsection?
(I'm going to getto mod my rack to alleviate my concern maybe post pictures later this week.)

Last edited:
Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Forgot this thread:

20V solar panel to an MPTT controller to charge a battery i found in abandoned building that had a large amount of plant growing lamps, totally not a suspicious location at all

View attachment 292745

The solar panel charges the MPTT controller, which then charges the battery that absolutely needed to be topped up with distilled water despite being "maintenance free" - but it was too slow so i of course used the jumpstarter for my car and wire from a Cat6 cable to force-feed more juice into it

In the black box is my old UPS battery, and i absolutely intend to mix and match all these batteries into one bigger juicebox for fun explosions when i go camping again
Ah, urban exploration?
Did you grab the lamps as well or were they scavenged before you got there?

I sneak into abandoned factories or apartment buildings whenever I can too, they're going to be demolished at some point anyway so... I look for specific parts though, anything electrical is good, most lowlifes get the wiring to sell it as copper but leave the switches and sockets behind for me. They don't know about ballasts, thankfully, so fluorescent fittings are mainly left alone. If the place was abandoned <1990s there's a good chance to find porcelain/bakelite or 'glowing' (they glow in the dark, got banned due to someone claiming they caused cancer) sockets and switches which I like and use at home, I find modern plastic ones to look... cheap, even if they're not.

Old cars and trucks have good stuff in them sometimes, batteries, plates and tyres are long gone but headlamps and other lights can sometimes be found, my favourite are the round headlamps but I won't turn down any free halogen or incandescents.
Not sure how legal is what I'm telling you but as I said the buildings will be blown to pieces and the cars scrapped at some point.

By the way, I make sure there are no hobos or criminals on the run before going in, or at least negotiate with them, I gave a few cans of food to a guy once to gain access to the basement where he was staying in, cool guy thankfully, told me stories about how he used to be a carpenter but had an accident and lost 3 fingers, couldn't work anymore, his wife left him and he had his house taken by the State.

Can lead-acid batteries at least survive more charge-discharge cycles than a lithium-ion battery? Even though lead-acid batteries are full of H2S04 acid I've never known anyone to get burned by battery acid -- or catch fire for that matter. It seems to be commonplace for lithium-ion batteries to catch fire -- at least in the Battlebots arena.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Can lead-acid batteries at least survive more charge-discharge cycles than a lithium-ion battery? Even though lead-acid batteries are full of H2S04 acid I've never known anyone to get burned by battery acid -- or catch fire for that matter. It seems to be commonplace for lithium-ion batteries to catch fire -- at least in the Battlebots arena.
Yep, if they are deep cycle. The trouble is, they have terrible capacity to weight ratio, but excellent discharge amperage capacity. Aka great for running large motors for very short times, like starter motors.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
they glow in the dark, got banned due to someone claiming they caused cancer
They do emit rads at a level well above what is today considered "safe", and rads are strongly corelated to cancer, but you do you. In the states we had some food grade glassware with similar properties... obviously banned for similar reasons. IIRC either Radon or certain Uranium isotopes are utilized to keep the glow going.

It's because Lithium is highly reactive. NiMH is a nice compromise if you want a lighter weight "safe" alternative. In consumer form, I am a big fan of the eneloop line of batteries.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
They do emit rads at a level well above what is today considered "safe", and rads are strongly corelated to cancer, but you do you. In the states we had some food grade glassware with similar properties... obviously banned for similar reasons. IIRC either Radon or certain Uranium isotopes are utilized to keep the glow going.
I highly doubt those are radioactive. Old "glow-in-the-dark" toys/souvenirs and especially light switches were made out of plastic with added luminophores(just like today). Misconception is caused by a simple fact that people kept referring to those as "phosphorus" or "uranium" thing, even though it had neither in it. The actual uranium novelty items are very hard to find, cause most of them are 60+y.o. by now and there weren't that many of them made in the first place.

Can lead-acid batteries at least survive more charge-discharge cycles than a lithium-ion battery?
It depends on how they're built and formulated. Car batteries, no. They are meant to be kept charged up. Discharging them completely or nearly so will degrade them quickly. However...
Yep, if they are deep cycle.
...Marine deep cycle types work a bit different. They are designed for a steady discharge and can be completely discharged without harm. The charge/discharge cycle lifespan depends on the formulation of and construction methods. The more refined types can get upto 1500 cycles before beginning to show signs of wear, which is better than lithium ion. The down side is that...
they have terrible capacity to weight ratio
...they're VERY massive and expensive.

It's because Lithium is highly reactive. NiMH is a nice compromise if you want a lighter weight "safe" alternative. In consumer form, I am a big fan of the eneloop line of batteries.
This. I much prefer NiMH batteries to Li-Ion or LiPo types because NiMH is greatly safer and more friendly to the environment. Energy density is about 10% to 20% less depending on formulation, but that is easily offset by making the battery and device it's intended for a bit physically larger(a compromise I am happy to accept). NiMH also has a higher number of charge/discharge cycles, so lifespan balances out. (EDIT: left key word out)

Last edited:
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Storage A lot
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
You think? they appear to be mildly transparent resin with something that makes them glow, like the glowing stars for kids rooms.

I highly doubt those are radioactive. Old "glow-in-the-dark" toys/souvenirs and especially light switches were made out of plastic with added luminophores(just like today). Misconception is caused by a simple fact that people kept referring to those as "phosphorus" or "uranium" thing, even though it had neither in it. The actual uranium novelty items are very hard to find, cause most of them are 60+y.o. by now and there weren't that many of them made in the first place.
Well they look plastic, but to me they could be made out of a hard resin similar to bakelite that shatters in pieces if you hit it with a hammer as opposed to actual plastic polymers that crack in two or bend, it's also heat resistant so for high wattage appliances they're better than new ones that might melt if the plug gets too hot.
Nowadays you can get switches with a little LED or neon lamp but I dunno, red glow in particular isn't my style, I mean it's fine for multiplugs or appliance switches but it's not something I'd use for the house, also if the LED or neon burns you can't replace it...
Stay safe mate.

Attachments

• 100Pcs-Pack-Luminous-Stars-Wall-Stickers-Home-Glow-In-The-Dark-Stars-For-Kids-Baby-Room-211050...jpg
    100Pcs-Pack-Luminous-Stars-Wall-Stickers-Home-Glow-In-The-Dark-Stars-For-Kids-Baby-Room-211050...jpg
    84 KB · Views: 34
When I was kid you could buy glow-in-the-dark (radioactive?) paint, but I haven't seen that stuff for sale in decades.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I had a mid 80s Rolex GMT Pepsi, the dial had Tritium in it..

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
When I was kid you could buy glow-in-the-dark (radioactive?) paint, but I haven't seen that stuff for sale in decades.
A lot of the stuff was still available on industrial and hobbyist DIY markets a lot longer than the consumer glassware types which indeed is hard to find past the 1960s. The way you tell if it's dangerous is if the glow needs to be "charged" with light or it always glows. The dangerous stuff always glows.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
They sure don't make things like they used to :(

:laugh:

A lot of the stuff was still available on industrial and hobbyist DIY markets a lot longer than the consumer glassware types which indeed is hard to find past the 1960s. The way you tell if it's dangerous is if the glow needs to be "charged" with light or it always glows. The dangerous stuff always glows.
My father, who was a chemist, confiscated my glow-in-the-dark paint. It needed to be charged by light.

I read an article about the women who painted the tritium dials on wrist watches began developing cancer on their tongues -- it was discovered some of them were licking the brushes used to paint the tritium.
That's nothing though, I read a more recent event where some hunters in Russia came across some Radioisotope thermoelectric generators that had been used in some sort of relay station and had just been dumped into the forest. They found out they were warm and so used them at their campground as heaters. Most, if not all, of the hunters developed severe radiation burns that killed them.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
I read an article about the women who painted the tritium dials on wrist watches began developing cancer on their tongues -- it was discovered some of them were licking the brushes used to paint the tritium.
There is a film "Radium Girls". So it's radium, but let's not get further into it, it's off topic anyway.

Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Storage A lot
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
My old "laptop"

Also, another of my old laptops but with desktop GPU connected via ExpressCard

Early 00s computer desks were wild. Want a standalone tray for the mouse? you've got it. a recessed space to put your case in? say no more

System Name Detox sleeper
Processor Intel i9-7980XE@4,5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock x299 Taichi XE (custom bios with ecc reg support, old microcode)
Cooling Custom water: Alphacool XT45 1080 + 9xArctic P12, EK-D5 pump combo, EK Velocity D-RGB block
Memory 8x16Gb Hynix DJR ECC REG 3200@4000
Video Card(s) Intel Arc A770 LE 16Gb + CMP 100-210 (Tesla V100 16Gb)
Storage Samsung PM9A1 1Tb + PM981 512Gb + Kingston HyperX 480Gb + Samsung Evo 860 500Gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W (30" 2560x1600)
Case Chieftec 1E0-500A-CT04 + AMD Sempron sticker + Titan fan controller
Audio Device(s) Genius Cavimanus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex 750w Platinum
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard Dell Oem + Focus Fk2000 plus
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Custom cooling for Radeon Pro V540
20230427_182711.jpg
20230427_173714.jpg

Motherboard Asrock x299 Taichi XE (custom bios with ecc reg support, old microcode)
Cooling Custom water: Alphacool XT45 1080 + 9xArctic P12, EK-D5 pump combo, EK Velocity D-RGB block
Storage Samsung PM9A1 1Tb + PM981 512Gb + Kingston HyperX 480Gb + Samsung Evo 860 500Gb
Mouse Logitech G400

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Mouse Logitech G400
How does it work man?!
It is two arctic p12 pressure optimized fan sandwitched to push the air inside the box. This card is designed to work in a server not for desktop.

Attachments

• 20230427_092137.jpg
    20230427_092137.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 20230427_092210.jpg
    20230427_092210.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
It is two arctic p12 pressure optimized fan sandwitched to push the air inside the box. This card is designed to work in a server not for desktop.
No I meant temps, how are your temps? ;)