• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ghetto Mods

Have you got an oscilloscope?

I'd look at the inductor waveforms, and then the gates on all the mosfets.

See if there's a gate resistor that's cracked, or open.

The 4 phases on that chip should be 90 degrees from each other, and it uses 2 mosfets per phase, but the 4 mosfets on the lower side won't run as hot, IMHO.

See how the mosfets are connected to the chip on P23 of the PDF file above.

Half the mosfets being cool may not be an issue; on the P5wd2 premium I'm working on, the lower mosfets aren't heatsinked, but I'm adding small ones.

If you hit the current limit for the switching, it will turn off the phase early; you can go too much capacitance.

Take a look at Table 10 in the pdf; see what kind of current limit it's running.

If the cables get hot from the PSU, you can buy pins and wire and make your own cables; they have pins that handle 16AWG wire, but each pin is only rated 9A.
That's why there are multiple wires per voltage. Most PSU's use 18awg cable.
Solder another connector on the bottom of the board, on a short pigtail, if you need more current than the pins can handle. :)

Here's a link to all the different power supply cables, pinouts, ans Pin numbers:

These pins are for 16awg wire:
Molex 39-00-0168 Fem WM3115-ND at digikey

Yes, I have a scopemeter. I will attach it sometime time during the week to see if all is ok. It can also be a faulty controller which I was not aware of as I got the motherboard off Ebay 2 years ago. I have spare controllers here if I need to change it.

The motherboard was operating more or less the same before i changed the MOSFETS, this why i think it's a controller fault.

Last edited:
System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
Compare the current sensing resistors to each other; there's apparently 2 per driver set, and if one of those has opened or changed value, it will alter that phase.

Since all the phases are feeding the same output line, they should all look pretty much the same; If I read it correctly, that chip uses VFO for regulation, changing the frequency to add power.

There's 68k of those chips at a place in hong kong, but I have bad luck ordering stuff from such places.
The last time I ordered anything from china, I got the parts, but the card was cancelled in 10 minutes for fraud other than the real transaction, lol.

Compare the current sensing resistors to each other; there's apparently 2 per driver set, and if one of those has opened or changed value, it will alter that phase.

Since all the phases are feeding the same output line, they should all look pretty much the same; If I read it correctly, that chip uses VFO for regulation, changing the frequency to add power.

There's 68k of those chips at a place in hong kong, but I have bad luck ordering stuff from such places.
The last time I ordered anything from china, I got the parts, but the card was cancelled in 10 minutes for fraud other than the real transaction, lol.

Resistors were binned before I installed them. It maybe possible I may of overheat one or two, but all checks show all resistors are ok. I will wait until I get the scopemeter in there to check. Performance has gone up in undervolt/overclocking so it maybe ok.

I get some of my parts from dead motherboards (de-soldering), then solder them to working motherboards to check all is ok. I already tested two controllers which I know is working.

MOSFETS get roasting hot with extreme undervolting 1.225v (2.6GHz), near shutdown temperature, but any fan across it will keep it cool, but still very hot.

Since you like PDF Docs here are the MOSFETS, (check-out the switching speed) & I know it's not for this application but it works. https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Infineon-Technologies/IPD70N03S4L-04?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1/Wi5ISJmYFIFJTw4HQ4M3X3E4=

Last edited:
System Name BorgX79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Win7x64
:)

Those are pretty heavy duty; they shouldn't fail due to overcurrent.

The thing to watch when you replace mosfets is the gate capacitance, and the gate charge; you want them to be close (less than 2x) of the original mosfet's rating.

Otherwise, you need to change the gate resistors, and up the size of the bootstrap capacitor.

The bootstrap supplies the higher voltage for the high side mosfets, above supply voltage, and if they run out of charge the mosfets only turn partially on, melting them, lol.

(I built a fan controller last year, and the biggest power draw at startup was the bootstrap circuit. The gate capacitance on the 300A mosfets was 12nF, tho. :)
I milled a stock copper base intel Heatsink to miss the source and gate pins, and soldered one mosfet to a heatsink, connected in a bridge setup.
Doesn't even need a fan, it's total overkill.)

I like pdf's; once an Engineer, always an engineer. I've built a bunch of this kind of stuff; the magnetics are the hard part.

If you saturate the magnetics, it's all over; it'll pass 12V to the load. :D That's pretty spectacular.
That's the bummer with a buck converter.

That's cool if you have other converter chips; those aren't too hard to remove/replace.
Kapton tape shielding all the stuff around it, and a focused heat gun is what I use, mostly.

If it's too close to other stuff, cutting all the pins off flush with the case and pulling them off the board with the tip of an iron works, but the chip is wasted. :(

:)

Those are pretty heavy duty; they shouldn't fail due to overcurrent.

The thing to watch when you replace mosfets is the gate capacitance, and the gate charge; you want them to be close (less than 2x) of the original mosfet's rating.

Otherwise, you need to change the gate resistors, and up the size of the bootstrap capacitor.

The bootstrap supplies the higher voltage for the high side mosfets, above supply voltage, and if they run out of charge the mosfets only turn partially on, melting them, lol.

(I built a fan controller last year, and the biggest power draw at startup was the bootstrap circuit. The gate capacitance on the 300A mosfets was 12nF, tho. :)
I milled a stock copper base intel Heatsink to miss the source and gate pins, and soldered one mosfet to a heatsink, connected in a bridge setup.
Doesn't even need a fan, it's total overkill.)

I like pdf's; once an Engineer, always an engineer. I've built a bunch of this kind of stuff; the magnetics are the hard part.

If you saturate the magnetics, it's all over; it'll pass 12V to the load. :D That's pretty spectacular.
That's the bummer with a buck converter.

That's cool if you have other converter chips; those aren't too hard to remove/replace.
Kapton tape shielding all the stuff around it, and a focused heat gun is what I use, mostly.

If it's too close to other stuff, cutting all the pins off flush with the case and pulling them off the board with the tip of an iron works, but the chip is wasted. :(

I'm very good with soldering this is why even 0402 resistors is easy to change.
I used Kapton tape once, & I hate it. I use steak pie foil which you can get from the chip shop. One side of the foil is silver & the other side is gold in colour. Face the gold colour of the foil facing the infrared lamp to reflex the heat. I'v been doing this for years even on my R9 Nano here on TPU.

It must be cheaper than Kapton tape & you get to eat the pie too. The foil works best for me, & it's quicker too. Even near the PCI-e slot, zero heat damage, not even a hint of damage or dis-colour. A single layer of foil is all that is needed, but if I am unsure, I add a second foil to the area I want to protect. The foil I have here must be over 6 years old & still going strong. You need around four of them, so you need to buy four pies.

Last edited:
System Name BorgX79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Win7x64
"steak pie foil" must be a UK thing; I can't find anything but aluminum foil coming up in a search.

Got a link? I'm all for new stuff. :)

Damn; now I'm wanting fish and chips, with a side of Guiness, lol.

"steak pie foil" must be a UK thing; I can't find anything but aluminum foil coming up in a search.

I found this out by looking at the lamp on my Aoyue BGA 9000A after a few months of using it. It uses a gold colour reflector behind the lamp. I think you will find all infrared workstation has this. I got mine from my local chip shop. Look at the pie if it's silver in colour it will still work but not as good as the gold one. The foil absorb the heat spreading it, but the gold ones reflex some heat back.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758

1573488906628.png

That's it. Always face the gold side facing the lamp or pre-heater & bend the foil around the area you want to protect. You can also use the foil at the preheater end to block heat. This is how I stop BGA R9 Nano chip from de-soldering when removing the capacitors, which are very near the chip.

in-short you can also use it to block off heat from the pre-heater also. So you don't have to heat the complete bottom of the PCB. Tear the foil in half if you don't have enough or if you are working on something very small.

When blocking heat from the pre-heater I place the foil on the pre-heater itself, not on the PCB. So part the pre-heater is blocked off with foil.

Last edited:
System Name BorgX79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Win7x64
Ok, I understand.

The provided MSI support arm was useless due to flexing of case structure (just a little, enough to make it useless.)
So I digged in my nest and found something (its an old time invoice-pin plus an audio adapter):
DSC_0110 5.JPG

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Got a shitty mouse with a cable so stiff you could dig a hole with it? Easy solution, fold it hard putting sharp kinks in it in a zig-zag pattern. This eliminates almost all stiffness and drag, cable gives way instead of pushing the mouse.

View attachment 136254
Damn, that's pretty genious to be honest. :D

OK; I ended up using the big iron, a heat gun as a preheater, and my biggest soldapult solder sucker, and I cleared about half the holes.

"Thermal Armor" indeed, lol.

I've used the method you mention, but with multilayer boards you run the risk of pulling the barrels out of the via holes.

If the connection to the interstitial layers goes bad, the board is dead.

At least these don't use the "Shadow Process" to make vias, those would be gone already.
Isn't the Thermal Armor just a plastic shroud? At least with Z87 Sabertooth it was.

System Name BorgX79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Win7x64
You may be right; there was a label that mentioned thermal armor on the back side of the PCB, but I think I'm talking about this:

"Stack Cool 2
Stack Cool 2 is a fan-less and zero-noise cooling solution. It effectively transfers heat generated by the critical components to the other side of the specially designed PCB (printed circuit board) for effective heat dissipation. "

Either "Words" work for me, lol.

The reality of it was a thick plane layer with no thermal reliefs at the pads, making them almost impossible to get out.

I cut the plastic "detents" that keep you from putting a socket 771 in this bad boy, I still need to apply the "Adapter" to the Xeon chip.

Then I have to find my HS compound; I found the 20yo jar of the white stuff; It's still good, lol.
I won't be using that. :)

I removed and lapped all the other heat sinks on the PCB; they're like tiny mirrors.

I'm putting 2 kilos of Thermatake heat pipe heatsink on the xeon. :) Tower 112

It's already lapped; I hate to lap all the info off the Xeon, but...

System Name Madness
Processor 6700k delidded 5.0ghz from silicone lottery
Motherboard Msi z270 m5
Cooling xspc cpu block , ek pump/res , alphacool 360 rad , ek fc x2 , monsoon fittings
Memory corsair dominator platinum16gb with light bar kit
Video Card(s) Msi 1070 seahawk x2
Storage adata sp550 256gb , seagate 1tb
Display(s) hp 24' monitors x3
Case Phanteks enthoo evolve tempered glass
Audio Device(s) Samsung 5.1 surround system
Power Supply xfx 1250w pro series , custom cables
Mouse Logitech g403
Keyboard Logitech g11 ,painted white and black
So this is an older mod I did . But ghetto non the less.

I got a cool-it aio second hand that only came with an intel mount and I wanted to put it in an amd rig. (it stayed through a couple upgrades all the way from a 790 board , to a 970 fx build)
So whats the only thing laying around thats the same dimensions as an amd mount? An amd back plate of course . the pics show what happened next . This is probably the quickest mod ive ever done .please ignore the dirty copper XD .

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_195128.jpg
    IMG_20160817_195128.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20160817_195445.jpg
    IMG_20160817_195445.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20160815_170111.jpg
    IMG_20160815_170111.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 258
D

Deleted member 185158

6950 with heat issues, overclocking near impossible.
Removed the stock cooler and found bad coverage. Some burnt.
Used old Swiftech CPU waterblock. Drilled a couple of holes and mounted to the card.
OC increase ability 200%.

20191112_170843.jpg20191112_212950.jpg

System Name Madness
Motherboard Msi z270 m5
Cooling xspc cpu block , ek pump/res , alphacool 360 rad , ek fc x2 , monsoon fittings
Mouse Logitech g403
6950 with heat issues, overclocking near impossible.
Removed the stock cooler and found bad coverage. Some burnt.
Used old Swiftech CPU waterblock. Drilled a couple of holes and mounted to the card.
OC increase ability 200%.
ha! two 6950s in a row , I painted the red on mine blue . have you tried unlocking the card to a 6970 yet? I still have an actual 6970 water block from ek on my display shelf with the cards

D

Deleted member 185158

ha! two 6950s in a row , I painted the red on mine blue . have you tried unlocking the card to a 6970 yet? I still have an actual 6970 water block from ek on my display shelf with the cards

I did try to unlock it, GPU-Z reports 1408 shaders so it doesn't take hold.
The Max O.C. increase did hold, where I can top out memory at 1600mhz which is useful.

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
System Name Madness
Motherboard Msi z270 m5
Mouse Logitech g403
I did try to unlock it, GPU-Z reports 1408 shaders so it doesn't take hold.
The Max O.C. increase did hold, where I can top out memory at 1600mhz which is useful.
thats a bummer , I"ve had 3 6950s and they all unlocked no problem.

D

Deleted member 185158

thats a bummer , I"ve had 3 6950s and they all unlocked no problem.

It could be that GPU-Z just doesn't read it correctly??
Not sure if one could even tell the difference with 140? shaders (roughly) extra.

I'll try to get a better picture of the waterblock. That one is crappy.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
PhotoCollage_1574562472467.jpg

Just bought mousepad online and the stupid seller packed it in small box and squeeze the mousepad into it and create unfixable dent, than throwing it into bin i use it as doormat