1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte 6850OC no voltage tweak need help

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by nVmatrix, Dec 31, 2010.

1. nVmatrix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I am alittle upset... I ordered a Giga 6850OC with the idea that it would have a better core and what not... but what I have found is that you can't change the damn voltage due to them using a different voltage regulator on the OC's!!!! What a crock of crap! So I was wondering if its possible to change the voltage in the BIOS and just flash the damn thing... was wanting to change it to 1.3 to 1.35v if I can... any help would be great.

2. Jamborhgini313

Jamborhgini313 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unlock it to a 6970

Oh my bad I thought you had a 6950 ahahaha

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. nVmatrix New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol... if I could. But some how I dont thing a 6850 will unlock to a 6970

it cool... lol. I just what more voltage... your talking flashing to a whole new card... that would be sweet.

4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    No need to be rude (not talking to OP).

So where did you find this out? You havent yet tried yourself? Just got two Sapphire's that won't adjust in Afterburner; had to get Trixxx.

5. nVmatrix New Member

Thanks Received:

I did some digging around (google) and seen in some other forums that others were staying that the GV-R685D5-1GD uses a different regulator than the GV-R685OC-1GD.... I have tried both AB and trixx and there is no voltage option. Was pissed! Thats why I was asking about bios flashing with a modded voltage... I havent flashed a card since the 6800Ultra days but was hoping it can be done... I get 935mhz on the core with 1.15v so I know this card would fly with some extra juice.

6. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Well as far as I know as is the case with 5850s for example if it can't adjust via software util that is because it doesn't have adjustable voltage via I2C register and thus a bios can't do it either. It is a physical limitation of the voltage regulator. That's why the reference 5850s so preferred. One of the ways the AIBs kept cost down on their custom models in addition to diff pcb and cooler was a cheaper voltage regulator. This apparently not such an issue on 6850s, in fact no reference models even released in NA, and yours is the first I've heard of that can't adjust. That said, they certainly may exist and perhaps you found one. Hopefully not, if you can't cancel the order...

7. nVmatrix New Member

Thanks Received:

Sounds about right. I have been trying to flash the BIOS using RBE/winflash, it allows the changes and the flash but when I reboot ATI drivers wont load right and it gives me a whacked out read in GPU-Z...(480 cores, 4 ROPS) . Well that sucks the only options are to keep it and just deal with it or send it back and pay for a re-stocking fee and all that crap:banghead: Dont know what to do....

Just to make sure I tried every voltage from 1.35v down to 1.16v they all cause the drivers to act like they dont know the card.. but as soon as I put 1.15v back in they work.

Went over to Newegg and looked at the pics of the two cards.. totally different PCB layout. Wish I would have noticed that before. Restock is 15%($30) plus the pain of an RMA...

8. nVmatrix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well after messing with the card and reading up on some crossfire reviews and talking with Newegg about RMA($30 restock/ $12 shipping + price of another card) I am thinking I will just keep the card and get another 6850 to CF the two. After running some more stress test and games I have found that the card is good for 915mhz core and 1180mhz(4720) on the memory before error correcting kicks in. with the stock voltage of 1.15v figure if I get two of them in CF at 900 to 915mhz it should kick some a$$

9. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yep

10. Danspy

Thanks Received:
    Get MSI afterburner Beta 5 and the Voltage Tweak works til 1.3 Volt,s

Regards