• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Bios over PowerColor Bios?

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
What benefit are you hoping to gain?

gr0by

a newer bios version.
I have problems with my video card that can not be solved with a new driver.
I get blue screens and so far nobody could help me with my problem

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Depends, you need to check each Bios first in RBE to ensure that memory timings etc are the same. I know the Powercolor is a non reference card, and that will add complications especially if the Gigabyte Bios is for a Reference design, you really do need to know if the memory chips, voltages and timings are the same otherwise you may well have some problems on your hands.

I assume you have tried to remedy your existing issues within it's own Bios through RBE?

bngchucky

'Tatty One' does make a good point in his post above in that flashing a non reference card can be potentially lethal.
It's a shame you didn't inform us of your System Specs as this would have been enormously helpful to those of us Geeky enough us to potentially help you out.
Anyways.
I feel the most logical thing for you to do is download and flash your card with its original\default BIOS just incase the current BIOS is the culprit (whether caused by over fiddling or just bad luck it matters not).
Give that a try because from my experience using a newer BIOS from the same or different manufacturer is more than likely going to achieve no gains whatsoever over your cards original\default BIOS and you also have the possibilty of bricking your card as a real and present danger.
I always find the best and simplest way to fix any PC problem is by returning to the 'Default Settings' as supplied by the manufacturer (in this instance by BIOS flashing).
You must also keep in mind that it may not even be the card at fault and that you have infact a compatibility\gremlin or other problem lurking about.
I gather this card is a recent purchase so i wonder if you followed the golden rule when purchasing new components and asked yourself, 'How will this new hardware interact with all the other components in the System'.
The only way to find that out pre purchase is to research, research and more research.

I offer you all my System Specs as an example of a quality, well rounded, well thought out Gaming Rig that has never run out of headroom and won't need updating anytime soon.

Motherboard -------Gigabyte P55-UD5
CPU----------------Intel i7 860 (oc'd to 3.2)
CPU Fan------------Zalman CNPS9900A LED
RAM----------------4Gb Corsair Dominator GT CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 1600mhz (7-7-7-20)
Video Card----------PowerColor Reference 5870 (oc'd to 875\1250)
Hard Drives---------1x OCZ RevoDrive PCI-Express SSD 50GB (recent addition)
--------------------4x Seagate 500Gb ST3500418AS (RAID 0 Twin Drives Multi Partition Config)
PSU----------------CoolerMaster R5-550-PCAR-E3
Mouse--------------Razer Mamba
Keyboard-----------Microsoft Cheapo
Case---------------CoolerMaster Elite 335
Monitor------------ Samsung 27" P2770HD (recent addition)
OS-----------------Windows 7 Ultimate

This System has never Crashed, CPU has never gone over 45c, 5870 has never gone over 65c, it idles on 630mb of RAM, RAM temps are so low as to be insignificant, and to top it all off i can play any current game (Crysis included) on High Settings without stuttering, (mainly BC2 though, 115+ fps, all high settings, 1920x1080 res, no AA or AF, no Bloom, Catalyst on High Quality MipMaps).
Keep in mind that i am also an Advanced System\Registry Modifier as i prefer my PC's not to go off into their own little realm of menial tasks and to concerntrate on what i'm doing, lol.

Well I'll end this little speech with a Thank You to those that bothered to read it. :)