• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 vs MSI MPower

Arrin

i'll be getting a 2500k to stick in it, i'm guessing the smart decision is to go with a Z77 board just due to it being newer but i'm still uncertain

cadaveca

My name is Dave
System Name Gamer
Processor Intel i7-6700K (ES)
Motherboard MSI Aegis TI
Cooling Custom Dragon Cooler
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2133 MHz C13
Video Card(s) 2x MSI GAMING GTX 980
Storage 2x Intel 600P
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case MSI Aegis Ti
Mouse MSI Interceptor DS B1
Keyboard MSI DS4200 GAMING Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
From just fit and feel, the Gigabyte board is a much higher-quality board. It literally weighs twice as much as the MPower.

My review is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/G1_Sniper2/

However, the MPower board is very sturdy as well. It should also be much more affordable, since it does not include the Creative sound card or the specialty LAN.

Review here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z77_MPower/

I did score the MPower board a bit higher than the Gigabyte, but that's because they are really targeted at different audiences; the Gigabyte for gamers, and the MPower for OC'ers. Each has slightly different needs, so clearly design is going to be a bit different.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
From just fit and feel, the Gigabyte board is a much higher-quality board. It literally weighs twice as much as the MPower.

My review is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/G1_Sniper2/

However, the MPower board is very sturdy as well. It should also be much more affordable, since it does not include the Creative sound card or the specialty LAN.

Review here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z77_MPower/

I did score the MPower board a bit higher than the Gigabyte, but that's because they are really targeted at different audiences; the Gigabyte for gamers, and the MPower for OC'ers. Each has slightly different needs, so clearly design is going to be a bit different.
My sentiments exactly on the 2/ The Sniper really is a good board but do not under estimate the MPower. I ran both boards....

CPU performance will be pretty much equal on both boards. The question you want to ask is: Do you need the extra's on the Sniper and the higher cost. If no, go with the Mpower. I run it in a system now and no problems... Whatever choice you make, both are good boards...

Dave, I think both boards taget a similiar audience with the MPower being cheaper to some extent.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
System Name Gamer
Motherboard MSI Aegis TI
Storage 2x Intel 600P
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case MSI Aegis Ti
Software Windows 10 Home
Dave, I think both boards taget a similiar audience with the MPower being cheaper to some extent.
The Sniper2 and all G.1 Killer boards are high-end gaming oriented, hence the audio and LAN. They are not as memory clocking friendly as Gigabyte's clocking boards, like the Z77X-UP7.

Meanwhile, the MPower is pure OC, where the GD65 is more targeted at gamers.

That said, prices are quite different, with the SNiper2 costing near double the Mpower, so definitely in a different class.

But, I get what you mean. It's just that the Sniper board has none of the OC features like buttons onboard and such...it needs a case. The MPower you can run in it's box. :p The MPower also seemingly has a larger VRM capacity.

Really, a hard call between the two. Myself, I'd take the Gigabyte, if money was no object, but if it is, then the MPower is likely far cheaper. I am not a fan of MSI BIOS layouts, however.

Arrin

now the main reason i'm asking is because i can pick up a USED Gigabyte board for an almost identical price as the MPower, so is it worth it to go with a second hand motherboard or just buy a brand new MPower?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
System Name Gamer
Motherboard MSI Aegis TI
Storage 2x Intel 600P
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case MSI Aegis Ti
Software Windows 10 Home
now the main reason i'm asking is because i can pick up a USED Gigabyte board for an almost identical price as the MPower, so is it worth it to go with a second hand motherboard or just buy a brand new MPower?
For me, the audio and LAN are worth it, but I also like having a warranty. Same price, one new, one used, I'd take the new one.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt