• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 vs MSI MPower

Arrin

i'll be getting a 2500k to stick in it, i'm guessing the smart decision is to go with a Z77 board just due to it being newer but i'm still uncertain

cadaveca

My name is Dave
From just fit and feel, the Gigabyte board is a much higher-quality board. It literally weighs twice as much as the MPower.

My review is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/G1_Sniper2/

However, the MPower board is very sturdy as well. It should also be much more affordable, since it does not include the Creative sound card or the specialty LAN.

Review here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z77_MPower/

I did score the MPower board a bit higher than the Gigabyte, but that's because they are really targeted at different audiences; the Gigabyte for gamers, and the MPower for OC'ers. Each has slightly different needs, so clearly design is going to be a bit different.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
From just fit and feel, the Gigabyte board is a much higher-quality board. It literally weighs twice as much as the MPower.

My review is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/G1_Sniper2/

However, the MPower board is very sturdy as well. It should also be much more affordable, since it does not include the Creative sound card or the specialty LAN.

Review here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z77_MPower/

I did score the MPower board a bit higher than the Gigabyte, but that's because they are really targeted at different audiences; the Gigabyte for gamers, and the MPower for OC'ers. Each has slightly different needs, so clearly design is going to be a bit different.

My sentiments exactly on the 2/ The Sniper really is a good board but do not under estimate the MPower. I ran both boards....

CPU performance will be pretty much equal on both boards. The question you want to ask is: Do you need the extra's on the Sniper and the higher cost. If no, go with the Mpower. I run it in a system now and no problems... Whatever choice you make, both are good boards...

Dave, I think both boards taget a similiar audience with the MPower being cheaper to some extent.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Dave, I think both boards taget a similiar audience with the MPower being cheaper to some extent.

The Sniper2 and all G.1 Killer boards are high-end gaming oriented, hence the audio and LAN. They are not as memory clocking friendly as Gigabyte's clocking boards, like the Z77X-UP7.

Meanwhile, the MPower is pure OC, where the GD65 is more targeted at gamers.

That said, prices are quite different, with the SNiper2 costing near double the Mpower, so definitely in a different class.

But, I get what you mean. It's just that the Sniper board has none of the OC features like buttons onboard and such...it needs a case. The MPower you can run in it's box. :p The MPower also seemingly has a larger VRM capacity.

Really, a hard call between the two. Myself, I'd take the Gigabyte, if money was no object, but if it is, then the MPower is likely far cheaper. I am not a fan of MSI BIOS layouts, however.

Arrin

now the main reason i'm asking is because i can pick up a USED Gigabyte board for an almost identical price as the MPower, so is it worth it to go with a second hand motherboard or just buy a brand new MPower?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
now the main reason i'm asking is because i can pick up a USED Gigabyte board for an almost identical price as the MPower, so is it worth it to go with a second hand motherboard or just buy a brand new MPower?

For me, the audio and LAN are worth it, but I also like having a warranty. Same price, one new, one used, I'd take the new one.

Arrin

For me, the audio and LAN are worth it, but I also like having a warranty. Same price, one new, one used, I'd take the new one.

alright, thanks to the both of you for your input! Mpower it is :toast:

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt