• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H BIOS versions

NathanFake

Processor AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120
Memory 4 x DDR2 1GB 800MHz, SuperTalent, CL5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD4850, 512MB DDR3
Storage Seagate ST3250410AS, 250 GB 16MB + 2x Seagate ST3500418AS, 500 GB 16MB
Display(s) Samsung SM 931BW + TV Sony KDL-32U2000 LCD
Case Thermaltake Bach VX mid tower
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
Software Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x86
in F5 Vista fails to wake up from S3 (Sleep) :(

F4V and/or older S3 works perfectly... i'm back to F4V ;)

edit:

yesterday i've upgraded my cpu to phenom ii x3 720 and now s3 works with F5 bios...

with x2 7750, F5 bios, failed to wake up...

so my formal issue maybe phanom i (agena / kuma) realated...

F5 CAN unlock 4th core on X3, without cold boot problem ;)

just set ACC to Auto and EC Firmware to Hybrid

Last edited:
System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
in F5 Vista fails to wake up from S3 (Sleep) :(

F4V and/or older S3 works perfectly... i'm back to F4V ;)

edit:

yesterday i've upgraded my cpu to phenom ii x3 720 and now s3 works with F5 bios...

with x2 7750, F5 bios, failed to wake up...

so my formal issue maybe phanom i (agena / kuma) realated...

F5 CAN unlock 4th core on X3, without cold boot problem ;)

just set ACC to Auto and EC Firmware to Hybrid

I have had problems with waking up from S3 with EVERY bios version, the desktop would come up, but in less than half a minute, the system freezed. But now with F5, it works. With earlier releases, I've been forced to use S1.

The "maturing" progress has been slow indeed, but there has been quite many improvements.

Elendil

Best BIOS to overclock

Hello guys, I would really like to have some help from you, I want to overclock my Phenom 985BE with this mobo and I can't seem to find to the right one, I can overclock the CPU until 2800mhz whitout problems, but that's about it, can go anywhere beyond that, I'm not sure if it is me that I can overclock it that well or if is the BIOS, but the solution seems to elude me, currently I'm using F5 to check it out. Any help is welcome, regards.

Bodycount

Just a quick note. Be careful about installing your ram. I didn't know about the 800Mhz limitation if you used three or more ram slots. So I installed 1 gig sticks in 3 slots and clocked it at 1066Mhz.

It ran fine for a day then gave me blue screen errors. I thought the ram was bad so I tried memtest86 on each stick which came out good. But if I tried it on all three at once, it failed at 21%.

Well I pulled the third stick out, and my system still was blue screening. Took me two weeks to figure out my slot 1 and 2 were fried. I installed 1 gig sticks in slot 3 and 4 and now my system is finally stable. I can never use slot 1 and 2 again :(

I wonder how much slower my system is that I'm using slot 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. In the book it says if you use two sticks only that you should install them in 1 and 2.

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Processor AMD Phenom II 940 OC'd @ 3.6 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4h
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler, 4x 120MM fans
Memory OCz GOLD 4x 2GB @ 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Dual Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3
Storage 1x 750 GB WD SATA, Twin 250GB WD SATA RAID 0
Display(s) ACER 19" @ 1440x900
Case Customized Cooler Master CM-690 (More Customization coming)
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply RAIDMAX 630W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (the "Steve Ballmer Signature Edition", Kubuntu
Just a quick note. Be careful about installing your ram. I didn't know about the 800Mhz limitation if you used three or more ram slots. So I installed 1 gig sticks in 3 slots and clocked it at 1066Mhz.

It ran fine for a day then gave me blue screen errors. I thought the ram was bad so I tried memtest86 on each stick which came out good. But if I tried it on all three at once, it failed at 21%.

Well I pulled the third stick out, and my system still was blue screening. Took me two weeks to figure out my slot 1 and 2 were fried. I installed 1 gig sticks in slot 3 and 4 and now my system is finally stable. I can never use slot 1 and 2 again :(

I wonder how much slower my system is that I'm using slot 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. In the book it says if you use two sticks only that you should install them in 1 and 2.

Not sure if you read back far enough to see my overclock. I found that the BIOS is a limiting factor on my memory. It doesn't like me setting the Memory Multi to 5.33, so i left it at 4.00 and changed bumped the HT Ref Clock up to 267....and Voila!!...4x2GB @ 1068mhz. I had to drop a couple other things down a bit. For example, the CPU i Dropped down to 13.5 which still gave me a 3.604Ghz CPU. I dropped the Hypertransport clock and the NB Multi went from 9 to 8 to ensure stability. For some reason Gigabyte doesn't want to believe that this board will handle 4 sticks @1066...tsk tsk...maybe F6 would fix it (yeah right) You may want to try my little trick if you have a good enough CPU cooler...or...you could drop the Multi down further.

Bodycount

Not sure if you read back far enough to see my overclock. I found that the BIOS is a limiting factor on my memory. It doesn't like me setting the Memory Multi to 5.33, so i left it at 4.00 and changed bumped the HT Ref Clock up to 267....and Voila!!...4x2GB @ 1068mhz. I had to drop a couple other things down a bit. For example, the CPU i Dropped down to 13.5 which still gave me a 3.604Ghz CPU. I dropped the Hypertransport clock and the NB Multi went from 9 to 8 to ensure stability. For some reason Gigabyte doesn't want to believe that this board will handle 4 sticks @1066...tsk tsk...maybe F6 would fix it (yeah right) You may want to try my little trick if you have a good enough CPU cooler...or...you could drop the Multi down further.

Is F6 out yet? I downloaded F5 and installed that. tried to unlock my 4th core but that didn't work so well lol

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Not Yet....I just wish they would fix the BIOS so that I wouldnt have to overclock to get the correct speed for my RAM.

Jaco175

Hello

I´m going to get on of these boards, but before, noob were, i really could use your help.
I have 4x1GB DDR2 800 ram, is there a problem installing all 4 sticks?

I will use it with a X3 720BE, nor very interest in unlocking the extra core, but i would like to to oc just a bit, until 3.2 at most.

Will i have any know issues with this board using the ram and doing oc?

Thank you.

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Hello

I´m going to get on of these boards, but before, noob were, i really could use your help.
I have 4x1GB DDR2 800 ram, is there a problem installing all 4 sticks?

I will use it with a X3 720BE, nor very interest in unlocking the extra core, but i would like to to oc just a bit, until 3.2 at most.

Will i have any know issues with this board using the ram and doing oc?

Thank you.

This Board will work great then. It works well at DDR2 800 with 4 sticks. I just wanted more. I wanted the full 1066 that AM2+ can handle. It just isn't supposed to handle it with 2 sticks per channel...which is the reason i upped the HT Ref Clock....if i could have been satisfied at DDR2 800 I could have left the HT Ref Clock alone and simply upped the CPU multiplier instead. That just wasnt enough for me. You shouldn't have any trouble overclocking your processor with this board. Just remember that for each .5 you bump the Multiplier you are bumping the Processor 100mHz. You should be able to set your Multi to 16 and get your 3.2Ghz.

Have Fun....If you have a decent aftermarket CPU cooler, you may be able to push that processor a little further. Perhaps 3.4Ghz :respect: ....or more. :cool: :rockout:

gadjo23

I managed to get 4x1 KHX 8500 DDR2 sticks to work AT 1066 with F4and F5 bios.
Cpu used is a Phenom 940 1.20V@3000.

First time I did put in the ram I had a black screen,no boot at all.
After clearing cmos it could run at 800Mhz , +0.15V was set in bios and running 1066Mhz was possible.
I could bring the auto memory timings to SPD values (except a few of them).

I have to say I am maybe lucky here ,cause not all folks can do this.
It runs really stable (occt and gaming ,wat ever),for months now.

There was a typical thing when I did put my mobo into an other case.
It would not boot again and it was harder to get the mem settings back.
I had to reflash the F5 bios ,and only then was able to restore my 5.33 divider again.
So there is i guess some sort of bios `corruption` thing.

Troubled

System Name Fred2
I wish any revision of BIOS would have worked with my 4x2GB setup to run at 1066. Every time i set the multiplier to 5.33 i would be able to pass post, but never load windows or even pass memtest86+. With the HT Ref Overclocked I am able to run it at effectively the same speed anyway.

gadjo23

Hey Throubled
For a more complete story.
I had to jump into bios several times ,all power off incluis PSU mobo connection .
Connected cmos jumper pins and put out battery,i spent lots off hours with it...repeting,trying.
I did put off NB Azalia en the `speedup thing` in bios for ram , CPU and graficks.
Also no ACC cause CPU does not need it.

I have a feeling it is not AMD IMC (because jou can manage OC your HTT) and still reach 1066, but the biosit is like playing Russian Roulette..

When there is a good boot with 4 sticks, bios have to be `auto`it should set timings very loose and 400 divider.
From this point I managed to set better timings bumb up Volts and reached 1066.

Troubled

System Name Fred2
I think the problem effected non Phenom II series AM2+ processors, gigabyte took the problem and made it a problem with the motherboard too. The integrated memory controller in the Phenom II 940 is capable of 4 sticks @ 1066...and has been done on many other boards. I called Gigabyte before they tried to blame it on the chip...even when i told them that it runs just fine with the HT Ref overclocked. The problem is in the BIOS I am sure....but they will not admit it.

I had already bumped the Volts to the correct voltage as recommended by OCz. But still no 5.33 multi.....oh well...

I have recently changed my clocks a little bit...not too much...

Now i am Running 260 on the HT Ref

14x CPU Multi ~3640Mhz
9x NB Multi ~ 2340Mhz
4x DDR Multi ~ 1040mhz

Still 100% Stable...got a slighly better OC on the Processor. Without changing the temps at all. I was Highly impressed. And to think there is some kid on Youtube talking about Reasons not to buy AMD. He actually said that the Phenom II x4 would run at 250F on WATER while he is showing off his little Core2 Duo at 2.66Ghz. I had to laugh...and then show out with my Phenom II 940. I wonder what my Phenom II would run at if i turned 2 cores off and underclocked it to 2.66 Ghz. Check it out on Youtube...the name of the video is More Reasons not to buy AMD.

Bodycount

well my GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard has finally died. It's not stable for any length of time now no matter what ram I use.

In fact just to be sure it was the motherboard and not the ram, I took out my wifes 2 gigs of DDR2 ram and installed it in my board. It wouldn't even boot. So I installed it back into my wifes computer and now her computer won't boot. So long story short, the board killed my wifes ram so now we are down two computers haha.

I'm sending the ram back to the manufacture because it does have a lifetime warranty and hopefully they replace it. The Kingston ram in my computer works but it's the motherboard that's causing the blue screens. My wifes ram is G.Skill. Kingston HyperX > G.Skill ??

Went to newegg and found myself this:

Newegg Link

Hopefully it's a good replacement for my old board. And it's cheaper too.

e6600

out of all the threads the bot had to target, it had to be this one :(
i was very hopeful that another ds4h bios update was near.. im sure another bios update for regor/propus would give us a bit more headroom

Troubled

System Name Fred2
well my GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard has finally died. It's not stable for any length of time now no matter what ram I use.

In fact just to be sure it was the motherboard and not the ram, I took out my wifes 2 gigs of DDR2 ram and installed it in my board. It wouldn't even boot. So I installed it back into my wifes computer and now her computer won't boot. So long story short, the board killed my wifes ram so now we are down two computers haha.

I'm sending the ram back to the manufacture because it does have a lifetime warranty and hopefully they replace it. The Kingston ram in my computer works but it's the motherboard that's causing the blue screens. My wifes ram is G.Skill. Kingston HyperX > G.Skill ??

Went to newegg and found myself this:

Newegg Link

Hopefully it's a good replacement for my old board. And it's cheaper too.

And that is exactly why the wife doesn't like me messing with her computer (even though i built the D*** thing.) I don't know what i would do with only 2 computers running...i would probably cry because I would have to fix 4 computers...*Sigh*...

I am hoping that Gigabyte will release a BIOS update that will simply allow my RAM to work at the speeds it is supposed to without too much hassle. My DS4h is still running strong...even with the overclock i have prescribed for it. There for a while i would not let a BioStar motherboard anywhere near my case....but that is the BioStar of old...as of late it seems that they have shaped up to be a decent motherboard manufacturer.

As for a replacement for your DS4h it seems to be a comparable motherboard, the DS4h does have the advantage with the onboard video memory being GDDR3, while the biostar only has GDDR2. Now you could also look into the GA-MA790GP-UD4H which is only $99 after MIR at the egg. It is almost identical to the DS4h (the only thing i can see that is different is the location of the SATA ports, and the color of the Heatpipe)

Bodycount

And that is exactly why the wife doesn't like me messing with her computer (even though i built the D*** thing.) I don't know what i would do with only 2 computers running...i would probably cry because I would have to fix 4 computers...*Sigh*...

She's making me take home my work laptop every day now so she has something to use at night for college school work and general web surfing. So it's not all that bad. Once they send me replacement ram, her computer will be back up and working.

As for a replacement for your DS4h it seems to be a comparable motherboard, the DS4h does have the advantage with the onboard video memory being GDDR3, while the biostar only has GDDR2. Now you could also look into the GA-MA790GP-UD4H which is only $99 after MIR at the egg. It is almost identical to the DS4h (the only thing i can see that is different is the location of the SATA ports, and the color of the Heatpipe)

Well since I don't use the onboard video, the GDDR2 difference doesn't even bother me. I have a Geforce 9800GT installed. I wish I could use that 128meg of video ram as additional system ram though. It's just being wasted.

Noob@work

Processor Phenom2 x940
Motherboard MA790GP-DS4H
Cooling TT-V1
Memory Dominator 4gb 2x2gb ddr2 pc2-8500
Video Card(s) Pos 8400
Power Supply hx520 Modular
Hi, I've been having major problems, hopefully this forum can help me out. My friends thot it would be funny to visit malicious sites while i was away from the computer, and showing me stupid pron sites. After formating my computer, and not formating my 2nd hd, or external, I am still getting BSOD errors constantly. I can provide codes if anyone can help? It has been getting worse.

Stop: 0x00000024
NTFS sys.address b7e3b405

stop: 0x0000008e

Keefa

It's been a while since the last update on the BIOS front but they've released F6 now. Yay!

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Hi, I've been having major problems, hopefully this forum can help me out. My friends thot it would be funny to visit malicious sites while i was away from the computer, and showing me stupid pron sites. After formating my computer, and not formating my 2nd hd, or external, I am still getting BSOD errors constantly. I can provide codes if anyone can help? It has been getting worse.

Stop: 0x00000024
NTFS sys.address b7e3b405

stop: 0x0000008e

Well Hello again Noob!

Is there anything in particular that triggers the BSoD? That may help us...

It seems that Windows is the cause of this one. Either that or your Hard drive itself is Failing. I am assuming you have your documents backed up onto your second hard drive already so that will save you a step. The first thing i would do is try the cheapest thing i can do. IN this case...reinstall Windows again fresh. It is not entirely uncommon to have problems with Windows even directly after reformatting. Make sure when you format your computer, you chose the standard "Format the partition using the NTFS File System" Not the Quick option. Also, Check to make sure that you have the newest drivers for everything... After you have done that see if you can cause a BSoD again. If you can still cause the BSoD you may be looking at a hardware issue. Possibly the hard drive.

Troubled

System Name Fred2
It's been a while since the last update on the BIOS front but they've released F6 now. Yay!

Any major changes?

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Well since I don't use the onboard video, the GDDR2 difference doesn't even bother me. I have a Geforce 9800GT installed. I wish I could use that 128meg of video ram as additional system ram though. It's just being wasted.

Me too...that would be nice. Not that having 8GB of ram isn't enough for now...

Bodycount

Me too...that would be nice. Not that having 8GB of ram isn't enough for now...

I sent my wifes G.Skill ram back and my Kingston HyperX back. I just got the G.Skill replacement today. Cost me $4 in shipping to get that fixed. Hopefully Kingston sends my HyperX ram back by next week.

My new board kicks butt. BIOS options are more robust than the gigabyte had. More options for overclocking.

Troubled

System Name Fred2
I sent my wifes G.Skill ram back and my Kingston HyperX back. I just got the G.Skill replacement today. Cost me $4 in shipping to get that fixed. Hopefully Kingston sends my HyperX ram back by next week.

My new board kicks butt. BIOS options are more robust than the gigabyte had. More options for overclocking.

Cool...I am getting ready to install Windows 7 the full version. Just came in the mail today. Supposed to be some sort of "Signature" edition...wonder what was added....