• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H BIOS versions

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Have you tried dropping the Multipliers down on the NB? When you are overclocking with the HT Link you are also overclocking the NB and the RAM too. Chances are if your board is getting too hot it is going to be the NB to blame. I had my DS4H at 267 on the HT Link, and by dropping the NB multiplier down a notch i was able to run 100% stable even through OCCT.

yup did all the way to 8, changed cpu multi to lower 12, I can hit 270, OS is stable like IE, apps etc. Haven't run OCCT at that setting but Games crash. @ 250 x 13 with NB multi @ 9 it is rock solid stable.

Ok tell me one thing, which one is actually NB voltage? Is it NB or CPU NB, there are 2 settings and don't know which really will benefit. Also there is SB voltage, is it same as HT Link voltage?

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Processor AMD Phenom II 940 OC'd @ 3.6 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4h
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler, 4x 120MM fans
Memory OCz GOLD 4x 2GB @ 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Dual Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3
Storage 1x 750 GB WD SATA, Twin 250GB WD SATA RAID 0
Display(s) ACER 19" @ 1440x900
Case Customized Cooler Master CM-690 (More Customization coming)
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply RAIDMAX 630W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (the "Steve Ballmer Signature Edition", Kubuntu
As far as the NB Voltage, I am not 100% sure exactly which one actually controls the NB Voltage, so i bumped both up by .5V. The Southbridge is mainly for your Onboard graphics, but since you are playing with overclocking i wouldn't think that you would be using the onboard graphics.

An Edit to my previous post...just realized when i went into my BIOS to take a look at the settings i had for the NB i noticed that they call it a CPU Host Clock, while there is another one for HT Link. You have to make sure that your NB Multi x CPU Host is higher than the HT Link Frequency...otherwise your NB Frequency will not be dropped at all. Was a problem I came across while i was overclocking my PII 940.

Had you gotten a Black Edition processor overclocking would have been a little easier. AMD processors generally do not like boosting the CPU Host much more than 240mhz. I have changed my configuration back to 200mhz on the CPU Host, with x18 on the CPU and x11 on the NB, with a 2.2Ghz HT Link. This leaves my RAM at 800mhz, but the Faster NB and HT Link will make up for that....while still keeping my RAM cool. (I Started having a few issues with that about 3 weeks ago)...Only problem is i dont have any space for a high quality Fan Heatsink like i want due to the overlapping of the Xigmatek HDT S1283 cooler i am using.

System Name ---
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
As far as the NB Voltage, I am not 100% sure exactly which one actually controls the NB Voltage, so i bumped both up by .5V. The Southbridge is mainly for your Onboard graphics, but since you are playing with overclocking i wouldn't think that you would be using the onboard graphics.

An Edit to my previous post...just realized when i went into my BIOS to take a look at the settings i had for the NB i noticed that they call it a CPU Host Clock, while there is another one for HT Link. You have to make sure that your NB Multi x CPU Host is higher than the HT Link Frequency...otherwise your NB Frequency will not be dropped at all. Was a problem I came across while i was overclocking my PII 940.

Had you gotten a Black Edition processor overclocking would have been a little easier. AMD processors generally do not like boosting the CPU Host much more than 240mhz. I have changed my configuration back to 200mhz on the CPU Host, with x18 on the CPU and x11 on the NB, with a 2.2Ghz HT Link. This leaves my RAM at 800mhz, but the Faster NB and HT Link will make up for that....while still keeping my RAM cool. (I Started having a few issues with that about 3 weeks ago)...Only problem is i dont have any space for a high quality Fan Heatsink like i want due to the overlapping of the Xigmatek HDT S1283 cooler i am using.

Thanks for posting your NB settings. I have set both NB multi and HT multi both at the same values (9 or 8) and can verify with CPUZ both are OCed to same value when HTT is raised.

Another thing I noticed is the board OCs only if I leave the voltage as Auto. If I change to Manual, it undervolts the Ram, but upping it will fix it. CPU volts is also undervolted. If I try to up it or correct it, save the settings the system will shut down completely, it will not boot even if I press the case power button. I have to turn off the PSU, then turn it on, then when it turns on it will wait for few seconds extra to show up a popup thing that will ask to load the default settings or last known good setting, If I say last known it will go into an endless loop like this until I say default, it saves the setting and then go back to bios to put back to Auto. And oh one more thing, when ever I turn off the PSU and turn it back on the board starts up automatically (I have disabled the auto start in the power settings but still the same).

One more thing I noticed after changing to the new Ultra X3 600W PSU with 8 pin, in windows whenever I move the mouse I can hear kind 'krrr', 'krrr' sound for the PC. No headphones or speakers connected still I can hear it and its annoying.

Should I totally remove the battery and leave it like that for a while then start over again? Reflash F6 bios or go to previous version or even F1 original bios?

And yes I have the same situation with a Black 550 cpu. It also stops around 260 HTT (with 13 CPU multi) or so but didn't test much as it didn't unlock to a Quad. Raising the multi worked perfectly.

Going to try a 45w sempron to see if the board does the same thing.

Or I am just going to return this crap and get a MSI.

System Name ---

Woo Hoo that worked. I put NB multi @9 and HT link @ 8 and upped the HTT to 254, so I am at 254 * 13. Also before doing this I pulled out the battery and let the board drain for 5 minutes, put it back and with the above setting now it allows me to change the cpu volts manually. I upped the cpu volt to 1.4 and its stable @3.3Ghz with full cache unlocked. Will try more later.

Thanks,

:toast:

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Woo Hoo that worked. I put NB multi @9 and HT link @ 8 and upped the HTT to 254, so I am at 254 * 13. Also before doing this I pulled out the battery and let the board drain for 5 minutes, put it back and with the above setting now it allows me to change the cpu volts manually. I upped the cpu volt to 1.4 and its stable @3.3Ghz with full cache unlocked. Will try more later.

Thanks,

The UD4H Has a Multiplier for the HT Link? Or is that something new with the F6 BIOS? My DS4H has always had a Frequency which never really made much sense to me anyway. Anywho... I am glad to hear that you were able to get a stable 3.3Ghz OC. Not bad coming from 2.6ghz.

System Name ---
The UD4H Has a Multiplier for the HT Link? Or is that something new with the F6 BIOS? My DS4H has always had a Frequency which never really made much sense to me anyway. Anywho... I am glad to hear that you were able to get a stable 3.3Ghz OC. Not bad coming from 2.6ghz.

The HT Link goes like 200, 400, 600,.....2400. So I selected 1.6 which is 8 multi.:D

Still the shutdown, power off and power on PSU auto start of machine issue is not resolved. The moment I touch any settings in M-I-T then this issue starts, but will have to do more investigation.

But those Gigabyte Tech support Ba*****s don't be in office for the required time. I went home early to get hold of a tech support (around 4:45 pm PST), called the number and it said no one is available office hours are 8:30 am to 5:30 pm PST LOL. Biostar never did this to me, I think they also work similar hours and it so happened I called just 5 min before close time and someone answered me and was on the phone for 10 min until the problem was resolved. And Gigabyte's tech line is always busy during the day, so that means there are lazy people sitting there not wanting to pick up the phone or Gigabyte has lot of problems and customers are beating them up :laugh:

Troubled

System Name Fred2
The HT Link goes like 200, 400, 600,.....2400. So I selected 1.6 which is 8 multi.:D

Still the shutdown, power off and power on PSU auto start of machine issue is not resolved. The moment I touch any settings in M-I-T then this issue starts, but will have to do more investigation.

But those Gigabyte Tech support Ba*****s don't be in office for the required time. I went home early to get hold of a tech support (around 4:45 pm PST), called the number and it said no one is available office hours are 8:30 am to 5:30 pm PST LOL. Biostar never did this to me, I think they also work similar hours and it so happened I called just 5 min before close time and someone answered me and was on the phone for 10 min until the problem was resolved. And Gigabyte's tech line is always busy during the day, so that means there are lazy people sitting there not wanting to pick up the phone or Gigabyte has lot of problems and customers are beating them up :laugh:

I'll see if i can recreate the power on with PSU issue on my own motherboard, Have you tried a different PSU on the board? Dell's Desktops were bad about that same thing, especially the dimension 2000-4000 series, and i have had different power supplies fix the issue in the past. I haven't had this issue with my motherboard at all. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Gigabyte's tech support seemed a joke to me when i called them the one time. They couldn't answer the question of why some people were able to use DDR2 1066 on 4 sticks with the same processor and motherboard while I couldn't.

sideeffect

I have the UD4H version and it does that too with F6 bios. Hmm have to check with Older bioses, running with PII 810 tho, so then its not a C3 stepping issue. And the board is having issues clocking past 260HTT, I slowly squezed upto 256HTT. Any voltage settings have no effect on the OC afterwards. Can you post your max HTT on your board.

Hi My max was 250 HT speed 100% stable on the f5 bios with my Phenom 2 920. The board would start to have issues after that.

I had to replace my CMOS battery after I changed the Ram Divider and had the no boot issue. Since then I havn't had the issue again so maybe the bug has been wiped out. I didn't properly clear the CMOS after the flash so that might have been the reason.

Domyre

Hy, i'm a happy owner of this board, but i find that the layout is not the best one because the ram slots are too close to the socket and if you have ram's with a cooling sistem (like my corsair xms2 dhx) i have some problems with the cooling fan of the cpu because if the fan is too big i can't use some ram slots, so i have mounted a zalman 9500 that is a good fan but it's a bit loud, so i'd like to know what kind of fan do you use and if it covers the ram slots. thank you for replies and don't look at my bad englisch because i'm italian!

Troubled

System Name Fred2
Hy, i'm a happy owner of this board, but i find that the layout is not the best one because the ram slots are too close to the socket and if you have ram's with a cooling sistem (like my corsair xms2 dhx) i have some problems with the cooling fan of the cpu because if the fan is too big i can't use some ram slots, so i have mounted a zalman 9500 that is a good fan but it's a bit loud, so i'd like to know what kind of fan do you use and if it covers the ram slots. thank you for replies and don't look at my bad englisch because i'm italian!

I too have the same situation that you do...with the exception of the noise. I have a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 on my Phenom II 940. It is a very quiet cooler even at max RPM, but still covers the First RAM Slot completely and the 2nd Slot partially. It is not a big issue to me as i have standard sized cooling on my RAM (though i wish i could find a better cooling solution that will fit with my CPU Cooler) This is a problem you will find with most large CPU Coolers. The ability to simply Turn the cooler 90 Degrees would solve my problem completely...but i havent found one to do that either...

Through simply browsing around online i came across this cooler ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler. It has a very high rating with the customers that have purchased from the site i looked at (I use Newegg.com but they only ship to US) Also the Thermaltake CLP0538 appears to be a pretty decent CPU Cooler that may allow for your RAM to fit (granted it may be a snug fit but still...it may work)

Your English is not terrible. I have seen many people in the US that were born here that don't speak English as well as you. I hope i have helped...

Rizzle

System Name x3 pwnage
Processor Phenom II 720be @ 3.6ghz | 2.7ghz NB
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790Gp DS4H
Cooling Sunbeam CCF 120mm
Memory 4gb G.skill PI @ 1100mhz cl5
Video Card(s) Asus Radeon 5870 @ 1010/1250
Storage 400Gb Total
Display(s) 22" ViewSonic 1680*1050
Case Antec Nine Hundred Modded
Power Supply Ultra 750W
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit
I have this mobo ..need some help with overclocking and unlocking my 4th core on my 720be

specs:

Bios Ver. F6
720be @ 3.6
Gigabyte ga-ma790gp ds4h
4gb G.Skill 1100mhz
Sumbeam CCF 120mm COoler
400w corsair psu

I have tried by flashing with FaceWizard to F3i/F5/F3 bios to unlock my 4th core on my 0904EPMW stepping 720be but no luck ..im guessing i need the f3h bios to unlock cuz thats what i see most people using ..is there anyone who can send me a link to this bios or email it to me?? and mayb a bit of assistance with unlocking and overclocking my chip

System Name ---
I have the UD4H version and using F6 bios. It helped me unlock 2 8xx series cpus' extra 2 MB cache. I tried the core unlock with a 550BE but no luck. I tried all the bios posted but still the same. I guess the cores are really bad. So if it doesn't boot then possible chances of the core bad is high.

Rizzle

System Name x3 pwnage
Storage 400Gb Total
Power Supply Ultra 750W
I have the UD4H version and using F6 bios. It helped me unlock 2 8xx series cpus' extra 2 MB cache. I tried the core unlock with a 550BE but no luck. I tried all the bios posted but still the same. I guess the cores are really bad. So if it doesn't boot then possible chances of the core bad is high.

my pc boots with F6/F3/F3i Bios when Acc is on auto an EC set to hybrid but 4th core not detected in windows ie task manager/core temp/cpu-z/everest etc, did the msconfig thing and it is un-checked so if a 4th core is there it should pick it up ...althought with F3 & F3i bios it took some time with Acc on auto and EC set to hybrid for it to post and with F5 bios Acc on auto and EC on Hybrid it doesnt post at all , but with Acc on auto and EC disabled it boots and with EC on hybrid and Acc on the stock setting (cant remember if its disabled or what) it boots

Ive already oc'd to 3.6ghz, tryna get 3.7 stable but it keeps failing after about 10 mins of prime. I really want to unlock my chip so any help i can get would be nice :respect:

Troubled

System Name Fred2
I have this mobo ..need some help with overclocking and unlocking my 4th core on my 720be

specs:

Bios Ver. F6
720be @ 3.6
Gigabyte ga-ma790gp ds4h
4gb G.Skill 1100mhz
Sumbeam CCF 120mm COoler
400w corsair psu

I have tried by flashing with FaceWizard to F3i/F5/F3 bios to unlock my 4th core on my 0904EPMW stepping 720be but no luck ..im guessing i need the f3h bios to unlock cuz thats what i see most people using ..is there anyone who can send me a link to this bios or email it to me?? and mayb a bit of assistance with unlocking and overclocking my chip

You should first work to unlock the 4th core, then worry about trying to overclock. The reason it is marketed as a triple core is because that 4th core is not as stable as the other 3 and will not overclock as well as the others. There is no guarantee that you will be able to unlock the 4th core successfully at all. It is simply luck of the draw. I had this happen with my brother in law's 720BE. Could overclock the fool out of the 3 cores...but the 4th core wasn't stable at lower than stock clock speeds. Also, backing down the speed on your RAM may help a little bit with your overclock. 3.6ghz is a respectable overclock, don't push too hard for 3.7ghz...it just not be in your cards.

Rizzle

System Name x3 pwnage
Storage 400Gb Total
Power Supply Ultra 750W
You should first work to unlock the 4th core, then worry about trying to overclock. The reason it is marketed as a triple core is because that 4th core is not as stable as the other 3 and will not overclock as well as the others. There is no guarantee that you will be able to unlock the 4th core successfully at all. It is simply luck of the draw. I had this happen with my brother in law's 720BE. Could overclock the fool out of the 3 cores...but the 4th core wasn't stable at lower than stock clock speeds. Also, backing down the speed on your RAM may help a little bit with your overclock. 3.6ghz is a respectable overclock, don't push too hard for 3.7ghz...it just not be in your cards.

well so far with the F6/F5/F3/F4v bios im unable to unlock the 4th core, either it boots into windows and the 4th core not detected or it doesnt post at all after Acc is put to auto and EC set to hybrid ...I really wanna try the 4th core and see how stable it is and maybe try to overclock but it wont pick it up in Windows soo im guessing this would rule out that the 4th core is bad and cannot be unlocked? OR are there any other bios versions you recommend for unlocking? wanted to find F3h but cant download it anywhere

Troubled

System Name Fred2
well so far with the F6/F5/F3/F4v bios im unable to unlock the 4th core, either it boots into windows and the 4th core not detected or it doesnt post at all after Acc is put to auto and EC set to hybrid ...I really wanna try the 4th core and see how stable it is and maybe try to overclock but it wont pick it up in Windows soo im guessing this would rule out that the 4th core is bad and cannot be unlocked? OR are there any other bios versions you recommend for unlocking? wanted to find F3h but cant download it anywhere

Sounds to me like your 4th core is just bad. That processor is still pretty powerful even with only 3 cores...just overclock the fool out of it.

System Name ---

When you enable ACC and set EC to hybrid and save, does your board totally shuts off power and come back on?

When it boots what does the CPU information say? Somthing like B50 for the CPU name/code instead of 720BE?

Rizzle

System Name x3 pwnage
Storage 400Gb Total
Power Supply Ultra 750W
When you enable ACC and set EC to hybrid and save, does your board totally shuts off power and come back on?

When it boots what does the CPU information say? Somthing like B50 for the CPU name/code instead of 720BE?

yea whenever acc on auto and Ec on hybrid it shuts off and power back on itself, it does this whenever its changing something after u set Acc to auto and EC to hybrid a msg saying something like "Updating your EC hardware" something like that and whenever i do get it to boot with Acc on auto and Ec on hybrid it see the same 720BE for cpu code in cpu - z

damn i really wanted to unlock my 4th core :(

delly47

Sounds to me like your 4th core is just bad. That processor is still pretty powerful even with only 3 cores...just overclock the fool out of it.

troubled,
i would like to know your voltages and bios settings.
i have a similar build (phenom II x2 550 be), can unlock and boot into windows,
but i have some problems in windows with programs crashing.
i have win 7 x64
for example winamp wouldnt play songs, but when i turned off cool and quiet it seemed to fix it.
windows update just will not run under x4 unlock.
thanks.

System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
Heh, glad to see this thread is still active :toast:

Sorry to all that I burned my DS4H and got UD4H for replace... Looks like I should still update this thread... :eek:

System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
It has 2oz Copper PCB (Ultra Durable 3), different colored heatsinks (dark anodised), possibly a little beefier pwm section and 4 of the sata ports are angled, on the edge. But other than that it should be the same board... Maybe someone could test F7a BIOS on DS4H...

EDIT: Hmm, just checked Gigabytes site, there is 3 different 790GP models, DS4H, UD3H and UD4H. UD's have angled sata ports, other than that they all share the same layout.

Last edited:

Troubled

System Name Fred2
troubled,
i would like to know your voltages and bios settings.
i have a similar build (phenom II x2 550 be), can unlock and boot into windows,
but i have some problems in windows with programs crashing.
i have win 7 x64
for example winamp wouldnt play songs, but when i turned off cool and quiet it seemed to fix it.
windows update just will not run under x4 unlock.
thanks.

I do not have the Rig with the 720BE in my house. It is my brother-in-law's computer, and i locked him out of the BIOS so he doesn't go in there messing with it. He lives a few hours drive from me...

If you having stability issues with those cores unlocked at a stock speed, it seems you may have unusable 3rd and 4th cores. But you could try underclocking it a notch or two. Bump your multiplier down to 14 and try it there. This will give you a Quad Core at 2.8Ghz (or a Phenom II 920 X4) 3.1Ghz is a lot to ask of a faulty core.

Troubled

System Name Fred2
in wat is the ud4h different from the ds4h?

Nothin Much as far as the actual components. The only different as far as capability is the UD4H is supposed to be able to handle DDR2 1200. Other than that there is no compatibility difference.

F7a (or an updated version) will probably be released for the DS4h in a little while. It seems as though Gigabyte has all but forgotten about the DS4h....last BIOS update (F6) was in September 2009, 1 Day before the same revision was released for the UD4H.