• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-X99-SOC-CHAMPION just died but what should i get to replace it?

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
ok so yesterday morning i woke up at 1.30 am and switched the pc on and it worked perfectly,
and i switched it off at the wall after shutting it down, then i get up at 7 am, switch the plug on and nothing, no lights on the motherboard zilch

so i check the power lead, and it's ok
(so i start panicking)

then i check to see if any of the power supply leads have come loose from the motherboard (they haven't)

then i change the power supply , (as i bought two corsair ax850's )
still nothing, other than the power light flicks on once for a split second and the lights on the kraken x61 all in one cpu cooler do the same
(it's now i start sweating)

so i do the usual and pull all the pciex cards out
still nothing :confused:

so i reset the bios
and that does nothing :fear:

then i take the battery out
still nothing :eek:

then i take my DDR4 memory out, and yep still zilch :shadedshu: :wtf: :banghead:
so i gather i have another dead gigabyte board :twitch::cry:

their was one thing that happened some months ago, that the bios went a bit wappy (it wouldn't let me change the boot order then the screen went orange with no text/boot, but as the board had 2 bios chips i switched to the other and it's been ok

oh and i've never overclocked my processor or my memory

i bought the board back in november 2015 so i can't send it back to scan who i bought it from, and now they don't sell them any more , so i hope that it has more than a 1 year manufacturers warranty on

anyways how long is an rma likely to take?

who here still has an X99 motherboard that is still going strong?
and what do you guys recommend getting in the mean time?

so at the mo i'm back to using my old GA-X58A-UD7 with an old pata hard drive and win7 :twitch:

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
- If you never OCed, why get the SOC Champion? :s

- i'd recommend the one i have in my sig, but something tells me you don't want to hear about another Giga board right now (am the opposite, have had multiple brands to compare with, same platform and i stand by my choice), so get an ASRock?

edit: they have a SOC equivalent too: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99 OC Formula3.1/index.asp
The only downside with ASRock is that they still have some Asus genes left in them. Convoluted UEFI UIs for no reason. Extra buttons for the cool kids to click-click and feel 'extreme'. If you don't mind the "more for no reason" mentality, they are a solid alternative.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
One of the higher end Asus boards. GB seems to have fallen out of the higher quality arena imo and still not 100% sold ok asrock. Considering Asus and asrock are both owned by pegatron I somewhat doubt they would allow to truly top end products out on the market at the same time.

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
One of the higher end Asus boards
Considering Asus and asrock are both owned by pegatron I somewhat doubt they would allow to truly top end products out on the market at the same time

You just nailed it. Because no matter what or how, people -still- get Asus. And will continue to. Pegatron has no reason to shoot itself in one foot :)

edit: on topic, which Asus boards are considered high end? The RVE10 sure, which else?

Processor i7 5820K
Motherboard MSI X99S SLI PLUS
Cooling Corsair H110i GT /w 2 Noctua iPPC NF A-14
Memory 32GB @ 2666 MHz Crucial
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + 2x Kingston V300 120 GB
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve ATX TG Galaxy Silver
Audio Device(s) Aune X1s (Dac) + Drop THX AAA 789
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Xtrfy M4 RGB
Keyboard Logitech G513
I have an X99S SLI PLUS motherboard from MSI and it's still going strong, I'm able to overclock my i7 5820k to 4.6 at 1,3v.

If I were you I would look after some of the newer X99 motherboards.
Your x99 board was high-end board, maybe the Asus X99 deluxe/pro II would suit you or the Asrock X99 Taichi.

Read some reviews from TPU or sites like this one, and then base your purchase upon that.

Good luck with your future board ;)

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
Nooo, not the Deluxe II, no.

Had that piece of shit, couldn't OC for its life, could not drive NVMes at 3.0x4 (and as it turned out, it wasn't a defect, it's just.. what it is).
Do not get that.

edit: it's what i had before trashing it and getting the one in my sig.

(see, that's what i meant about Asus. No matter what, lol)

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
try again sometime just need to remove the static electricity from motherboard

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
Just realized.. i know of 'a' Mad Max, also not a stranger to emulating. Mangos team. You wouldn't be him by any chance?

Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Display(s) compaq mv720
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
- If you never OCed, why get the SOC Champion? :s

- i'd recommend the one i have in my sig, but something tells me you don't want to hear about another Giga board right now (am the opposite, have had multiple brands to compare with, same platform and i stand by my choice), so get an ASRock?

edit: they have a SOC equivalent too: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99 OC Formula3.1/index.asp
The only downside with ASRock is that they still have some Asus genes left in them. Convoluted UEFI UIs for no reason. Extra buttons for the cool kids to click-click and feel 'extreme'. If you don't mind the "more for no reason" mentality, they are a solid alternative.

i'm using a gigabyte right now :p (admittedly it was rma'd along with my psu within the first 11months of purchase)
my ideology was if it was built for oc'ing it should make for a solid board that should last

don't get me wrong i love it and would, if i had to, get another, but as everyone knows X99's will be phased out, and i paid £799 just for the processor :kookoo: so i have to stick with what i've got for quite a while (unless i win the lottery :laugh: )

One of the higher end Asus boards. GB seems to have fallen out of the higher quality arena imo and still not 100% sold ok asrock. Considering Asus and asrock are both owned by pegatron I somewhat doubt they would allow to truly top end products out on the market at the same time.

i was originally thinking about getting an Asus but as said i got the soc thinking it would last :banghead: i was just looking and saw this MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon Intel X99 E-ATX RGB LED Motherboard £535.99 or 670.34 US Dollars :twitch: i might give that one a miss :laugh:

Just realized.. i know of 'a' Mad Max, also not a stranger to emulating. Mangos team. You wouldn't be him by any chance?
no that's not me (but i am an emulation fan)

Last edited by a moderator:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
i was originally thinking about getting an Asus but as said i got the soc thinking it would last :banghead: i was just looking and saw this MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon Intel X99 E-ATX RGB LED Motherboard £535.99 or 670.34 US Dollars :twitch: i might give that one a miss :laugh:

I am using an MSI X99 SLi plus at work and have had zero issues from it even running an overclocked 5960X@4.5-4.6 the past many months. They seem to last just fine, for perspective I have a dead GB X99 SOC so my opinion on them isn't very good.

Display(s) compaq mv720
Audio Device(s) onboard
hm, i got in contact with gigabyte and they said get in contact with scan along with a list of things to try, and i start a rma :shadedshu:
then after leaving the pc disconnected a day and taking the cmos battery out for 10 mins, i thought maybe the pump had failed so i unplugged it from the 12 volt sata connection and then reattached it, then i plugged the pc back into the mains and the lights come on :wtf: :confused:

anyway i didn't press the power switch and removed the mains plug and plugged everything back in except my harddrives as they worked on my old pc so i knew they were ok, and now the pc works:wtf:

i've just recorded a program off of the tv and it's still going

only thing i haven't tried is my expansion card with my samsung 950 pro m.2 ssd in, as the motherboard still wouldn't boot without it plugged in

i'm seriously confused as to what the heck went wrong, but apparently it's still under warranty so it must have a 2 year warranty

i will get another motherboard as a spare before they stop being made so keep the suggestions rolling, :D
because although my old x58 still works, it is as slow as fxxx, i was thinking of getting another hyper m.2 X4 mini along with a Samsung SM951 (edit apparently they don't sell them anymore at scan :ohwell: ) but whether that would work on that board is debatable

so has anyone else experienced something like this ?

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700X 8-Core 3.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Display(s) Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K FreeSync Gaming Monitor
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB C-Type Blackout Edition (Non TG)
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Power Supply Seasonic AirTouch 850w 80 Plus Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Professional 64bit
I am a little late to the party, but I wanted to give me 2 cents. My buddy has the ASRock X99 Taichi and he absolutely loves it. I have had ASRock's in the past and I have never had issues with either them or Asus.

There are 4 top gaming / enthusiast motherboard manufacturers in the world and these include: ASRock, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte. In terms of build quality, I always see good things from both Asus and ASROCK- both companies are known for packing loads of features into a board at a reasonable price. I cannot speak for Gigabyte or MSI because I have never had one of their boards, though I hear they can be pretty solid. Anything out of this group is not worth buying.