• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC 2GB & Battlefield 3 performance

lowc

Hello there.
I have question regarding graphic card (my is Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 660 OC 2GB non-ti) and performance with Battlefield 3 (other games like Crysis 2, Max payne 3, black ops 2 performance is quite good). Far Cry 3 is getting me some headackes also with fps between 40-60 on med-high settings.
I don't understand why everyone with this graphic card (watched on youtube) have better performance on ULTRA settings when playing multiplayer then me on 1920x1080 and everything set on LOW and OFF.
With this settings I can barely keep +60 fps in certain maps, but my graphic card should run this on Ultra with 60fps+.
Is it problem with my PC (other hw components) perhaps?
It surely must be.. maybe CPU or RAM in degrading my performance, dunno that's why I'm asking you guys.
I tried almost everyting.. Overclocking the card even more (10+ Power, 70MHz+ to core gpu and 350MHz+ to memory) but I couldn't tell any major difference perhaps few FPS. And I must mention then sometimes overclock works well and sometimes it crashes my video driver the second I go into game (when map loading starts) so I have to reset my OC settings and play on stock ones.
The interesting thing is that Geforce Experience program wants to optimize my Battlefield 3 settings to ULTRA (then i'm getting 20-50fps-depends on map) from my current LOW settings. And for example on the other hand it also says that my computer doesn't meet minimum requirements for Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 and want's to optimize everything to low and 1024x768 which is very strange because I can play both on MED settings and 1080p "quite good".
My system specs are:
HP Workstation xw4600
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz,12 MB L2
8GB DDR2 (4x2GB) 800MHz ECC
1TB WD Caviar BLACK SATA III
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC 2GB
650W Power supply unit

Because it is HP workstation motherboard it does not allow me to install/plug my GTX graphic card to 16x PCI-E slot and I have it in 4x PCI-E slot to be able to boot up (bottleneck because of this is as far as I read on forums is barely visible maybe 2-3FPS -> I checked test&reviews).

What/where do you think my problem is? CPU or RAM too slow for this game, or perhaps something else?
What would u suggest replacing/modifying?
Perhaps new motherboard like Asus Rampage Formula 775 and manual overclock q9550 to higher frequency - which I read isn't simple by far.
2 Youtube videos with great performance of my graphic card:
GTX 660 (non Ti) Battlefield 3 1080p Ultra MP - Yo...
Battlefield 3: Armored Kill - Death Valley Test FP...
I only wish that I would have this kind of performance :\

Thanks for any help/advise you can provide to me.
Best regards,
lowc

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
Hello there.
I have question regarding graphic card (my is Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 660 OC 2GB non-ti) and performance with Battlefield 3 (other games like Crysis 2, Max payne 3, black ops 2 performance is quite good). Far Cry 3 is getting me some headackes also with fps between 40-60 on med-high settings.
I don't understand why everyone with this graphic card (watched on youtube) have better performance on ULTRA settings when playing multiplayer then me on 1920x1080 and everything set on LOW and OFF.
With this settings I can barely keep +60 fps in certain maps, but my graphic card should run this on Ultra with 60fps+.
Is it problem with my PC (other hw components) perhaps?
It surely must be.. maybe CPU or RAM in degrading my performance, dunno that's why I'm asking you guys.
I tried almost everyting.. Overclocking the card even more (10+ Power, 70MHz+ to core gpu and 350MHz+ to memory) but I couldn't tell any major difference perhaps few FPS. And I must mention then sometimes overclock works well and sometimes it crashes my video driver the second I go into game (when map loading starts) so I have to reset my OC settings and play on stock ones.
The interesting thing is that Geforce Experience program wants to optimize my Battlefield 3 settings to ULTRA (then i'm getting 20-50fps-depends on map) from my current LOW settings. And for example on the other hand it also says that my computer doesn't meet minimum requirements for Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 and want's to optimize everything to low and 1024x768 which is very strange because I can play both on MED settings and 1080p "quite good".
My system specs are:
HP Workstation xw4600
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz,12 MB L2
8GB DDR2 (4x2GB) 800MHz ECC
1TB WD Caviar BLACK SATA III
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC 2GB
650W Power supply unit

Because it is HP workstation motherboard it does not allow me to install/plug my GTX graphic card to 16x PCI-E slot and I have it in 4x PCI-E slot to be able to boot up (bottleneck because of this is as far as I read on forums is barely visible maybe 2-3FPS -> I checked test&reviews).

What/where do you think my problem is? CPU or RAM too slow for this game, or perhaps something else?
What would u suggest replacing/modifying?
Perhaps new motherboard like Asus Rampage Formula 775 and manual overclock q9550 to higher frequency - which I read isn't simple by far.
2 Youtube videos with great performance of my graphic card:
GTX 660 (non Ti) Battlefield 3 1080p Ultra MP - Yo...
Battlefield 3: Armored Kill - Death Valley Test FP...
I only wish that I would have this kind of performance :\

Thanks for any help/advise you can provide to me.
Best regards,
lowc

Overclocking a Q9550 is extremely easy. I had mine at 4GHz on a P5Q-Deluxe. All I adjusted was FSB and core voltage.

lowc

[solved]

I solved my issue with replacing motherboard, CPU and RAM :)
Now it works brilliant! Around 100fps on Ultra and HIGH.
I replaced q9550 with intel i5 and ddr2 800 with ddr3 1333mhz which was bottlenecking my gtx 660 performance :)
Good that it didn't cost me nothing because I had this other PC on stand by.
ty all

xSylice

The Specs?

I solved my issue with replacing motherboard, CPU and RAM :)
Now it works brilliant! Around 100fps on Ultra and HIGH.
I replaced q9550 with intel i5 and ddr2 800 with ddr3 1333mhz which was bottlenecking my gtx 660 performance :)
Good that it didn't cost me nothing because I had this other PC on stand by.
ty all

And would you please mind telling us what the Intel i5 is?

I have an Intel i5-3570 (QuadCore) @ 3.4ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Gigabyte OC Edition

And according to other websites (Game-Debate) I'm only meant to get 30-35 fps on Ultra?

And also, what settings might you have it set to entirely, as I do not have Battlefield 3 on this pc and cannot test it, but I shall soon.

lowc

Amm sry Fps were lower in Multiplayer.. I tested before in sp. In MP I'm playing textures on high all other to Med, msaa off, txaa high, AA 16x and SSAO and im having 90-150fps..