• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8 GB

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Gigabyte's RTX 2080 Gaming OC is a customized, overclocked variant of the RTX 2080. It runs at a boost clock of 1815 MHz, which is 15 MHz higher than the Founders Edition. Gigabyte has also released a new BIOS that increases the card's power limit. We ran all our tests with the stock and new BIOS.

Show full review

Last edited:
When I see all this reviews and I think: does it cost just a few bucks more than a 1080? No? Not interested!
I think i've never been so not interested in GPU reviews since this series.

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
in conclusion in negatives: "High non-gaming power consumption (fixable, says NVIDIA)" - how is part about "fixable" working out so far? not enough time, huh? when it is time to drop that "fixable"?

Processor Intel Coffee Lake, Core i9 9900K 3.6GHz box
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-A
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4 3000MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Windforce OC 8GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage SSD Samsung 970 EVO 500GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280
Display(s) DELL Gaming S2716DG 27 inch 2K 1ms Black G-Sync 144Hz
Case NZXT H440 Matte Black Green New Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-9
Power Supply Corsair RMi Series RM1000i 1000W, 80 PLUS Gold
Mouse Logitech G604 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Rapidfire Cherry MX Speed
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
I was thinking that it would be nice to see a graph with gpu usage percentage over time and gpu frequency, since it dynamically scales because of the boost and also maybe TDP percentage?
I am making this request because I saw that my card is advertised at (1800mhz OC and 1785mhz gaming) and the observed frequencies where 1920 in benchmarks and 1860-1890 in games(that is gpu frequency). Using GPU-Z tool for these measurements.

I am having some issues with a few games on my rtx 2080 that they average around 50% gpu usage and less than 50% cpu usage. Maybe someone has a clue where to start looking for solutions?

Congrats for people who do not want to buy or already own one of the rtx cards because of whatever reasons. That information is redundant and simply expressing frustration should be moderated out (just a personal POV). I am tired of these people, please go away or do something else with your time. Nvidia will not read your comments and take it into consideration for the next releases.It's a business and businesses survival is based on money. You are only wasting other peoples time by having to scroll through junk.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Chart on the "temperature & clocks" page, near the end

in conclusion in negatives: "High non-gaming power consumption (fixable, says NVIDIA)" - how is part about "fixable" working out so far? not enough time, huh? when it is time to drop that "fixable"?
updated charts and text, thanks for reminding

Good review. What can be taken away from it is that this card is over-priced and under-performing when compared to offerings from competitors.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
No, simply no. Three Fan GPU never again (especially from GB). I'll stick to two fans max- lower noise, same job basically. At least for me.

ppn

The Gpu was designed for 10nm later to be refreshed on 8nm anyways. This release will repeat the history of GTX 280 and GTX 285 - the latter being 249$ cheaper.

The shroud disassembly for cleaning and replacement fans is very difficult when I tried not to remove the heatsink on my 670, same cooler. Had to use 90°angled screwdrivers.

Last edited:
@W1zzard

Just out of curiosity, why such a discrepancy between the number of cards tested (Nvidia versus AMD).
AMD's AIBs don't send you samples, is that it?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Damn, that Wolfenstein II Vulkan performance remains bonkers.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
'' It runs at a boost clock of 1815 MHz, which is 15 MHz higher than the Founders Edition;'

lol... like Pascal's remember when like you get one of these OC'ed aftermarket cards and you got like 60- 90 + [or something worth the cost ] MHz ? like a reference to a classy for example . so now it just like 17 ..lol.. so here what you get is an logoed branded shroud in the end over the reference founders cards ..

and then the founders has a 2 fan aftermarket type cooler now too boot .....lol.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Processor I7 4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97 Pro
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Platinum 16GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage PNY SSD 960 x2
Display(s) ASUS 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 450D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Glorious Model O w/DreamCables paracord
Keyboard Ducky Sine 5 YOTG
Software Win 10 Pro
WOW its being sold for $829 at newegg - that's expensive. What happened where that used to be the flagship prices for Ti's? And now we can't get anything better than an xx80....sad times. Guess I'll wait and see what AMD brings in 2019.

What happened where that used to be the flagship prices for Ti's?
It's not with Tis we should be comparing with but the flagships of a handful of years ago.
Take 2012. The flagship GTX 680 was $500 and the GTX 690 (dual 680s, remember?) was $999.
Did inflation... of course not. Not even putting together inflation, raw materials scarcity (which is a lie), manufacturing limitations (another lie), tariffs (which didn't bite yet) would we come close to such discrepancy.
I'd never buy under the indecent robbery the current tech market is. And I put some of the blame on who does.

Screenshot_2018-10-10_10-16-55.png

I imagine the reason we don't see as many AMDs reviews include...

a) Less manufacturer's models available.
b) Sales are 5:1
c) Many vendor's don't want detailed reviews

Most GFX card reviews consist of"

-Wording from manufacturer's press release
-A handful of Game benchmarks
-A "Gee its great" conclusion.

Vendors may not want to send samples to sites like TPU, Bitech, Guru3D who do detailed tear downs and report PCB components, PCB Cooling, temp and sound measurements because their product doesn't measure up well against the competition. I have noticed of late that certain manufacturer's and model lines are no longer being sent out. A good example is EVGA SC line.

The aforementioned sites all note the major fail that was the EVGA SC 970 whereby 1/3 the heat sink missed the GPU. We saw the fail for the 1060 - 1080 SC and FTW likes where they cheaped out and skiped the thermal pads which would have prevented the cards from going up in smoke. While it was perhaps well known that since the 5xx series, the SC line almost always used a reference PCB, it wasn't generally addressed in most reviews. So since the 9xx series, I have noticed a scarcity of reviews being done on these cards.

I notice that TPU only has the Reference Vega 56 or 64 ... I have no way of knowing why MSI and Sapphire decided to follow past practice and submit samples ... playing devil's advocate, I can imagine one reason might be that there is a general perception that AIB cards are superior to Reference cards and, if the AIB card doesn't provide that, well maybe it's best not to help that info get out there.

In short, there are various answers to your question, some obvious, some just supposition ... but I gotta think, if a card was sent to TPU, sooner lor later it's going to get published on the site.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@W1zzard

Just out of curiosity, why such a discrepancy between the number of cards tested (Nvidia versus AMD).
AMD's AIBs don't send you samples, is that it?
There have not exactly been a plethora of AMD releases. I think W1z has actually done pretty well in covering AMD.

Could there be more? Sure, like anything by Sapphire, but there’s been a good cross section besides that.

FYI: the 1080ti is not so cheap anymore for the third party versions. Therefore, in my opinion, it would be more sensible to buy a newer product than buy old. Even if the RTX features are used right away you're still getting newer parts and a card that has extra features. And to add to that these cards are great for Developers who can afford to buy a Titan V for $3,000. The RTX 2080ti is less than half the price of it and it's faster. This is what I don't hear people talking about. Just too much complaining about price. RTX 2080 and the 2080ti perform very well and that's all that matters. They do their job. I do love the articles though. I think for the most part you're being fair and not really taking advantage of feeding the naysayers too much as a lot of tech sites and YouTube channelers are doing. Keep up the good work. And by the way if people really really want one of these cards cheaper than what they are then they have to look. And that takes work. I just happened to stumble across the gigabyte windforce 2080ti for $1064. And yes it's legitimate because I have to go pick it up personally. So that's a good deal for me. I've never owned a flagship product ever from any company. I am a 4K gamer and also a virtual reality gamer so this cards should do me well for quite some time. I'll probably doing a YouTube video showing off the parts to my new computer. Hopefully do a building video also although I don't have a lot of time these days. Cheers.

I was thinking that it would be nice to see a graph with gpu usage percentage over time and gpu frequency, since it dynamically scales because of the boost and also maybe TDP percentage?
I am making this request because I saw that my card is advertised at (1800mhz OC and 1785mhz gaming) and the observed frequencies where 1920 in benchmarks and 1860-1890 in games(that is gpu frequency). Using GPU-Z tool for these measurements.

I am having some issues with a few games on my rtx 2080 that they average around 50% gpu usage and less than 50% cpu usage. Maybe someone has a clue where to start looking for solutions?

Congrats for people who do not want to buy or already own one of the rtx cards because of whatever reasons. That information is redundant and simply expressing frustration should be moderated out (just a personal POV). I am tired of these people, please go away or do something else with your time. Nvidia will not read your comments and take it into consideration for the next releases.It's a business and businesses survival is based on money. You are only wasting other peoples time by having to scroll through junk.
Well at least I'm not the only one that's tired of the complainers. And yes thanks for requesting charts. I usually don't have time to read full articles anymore so I just kind of skim through. This site seems to be pretty fair and doing assessments rather than feeding naysayers. I look forward to doing my own benchmarks when I get my card. The ones that the text cites and YouTubers use are not really accurate for me because I want to know how my card performs when I'm streaming when I'm gaming for a long time when I'm doing VR or if I'm just doing multiple things in general. It's all nice to have test done on a fresh clean build but that's not really realistic for most people. We all know how sluggish Windows gets overtime. But that's just how I feel. So when I post my benchmarks I'm selling the frames per second in the results while I'm doing things and recording at the same time. A lot of people don't like that but that's how I make my determination of whether a video card is doing its job or not. Not to say that I don't think enthusiast for doing their test and posting them for us. I see that more as entertainment though. Take it easy.

No, there's the price as well, and if the price isn't right (and it is not) the product is flawed.
I don't think that the RTX series cards are high-priced. If it was just a pascal refresh then I would be a little upset but Nvidia decided they wanted to pack more into their cards, add DDR 6, and also make them more powerful which they are. And just because something is high-priced doesn't make it flawed. It may make it unfortunate for people who don't have a lot of money but that doesn't make it bad product. Apple has a flawed product that is overpriced. that would be an example of what you're actually talking about.