• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Gives Public Apology for "Made in China" Mocking After Company Shares Plummet by $550 Million

No it has not. None of those nations ever ruled the entire island. The Japanese came the closest, but never conquered some parts of the island thanks the local tribes.
And please, don't try to teach me about the nation I live in. I might not be Taiwanese, but I've spent a large chunk of my life here.
Why so serious? I mean I couldn't give a fug but history has been written and there's no getting away from the facts.

No it has not. None of those nations ever ruled the entire island. The Japanese came the closest, but never conquered some parts of the island thanks the local tribes.
And please, don't try to teach me about the nation I live in. I might not be Taiwanese, but I've spent a large chunk of my life here.
The PRC has a matter of fact, never set foot in Taiwan.
The only reason the KMT succeeded in landing here was because the Japanese had left the island without any means of defending itself and the local government at the time didn't have a single ally, as the US forgot about Taiwan, until a certain dictator needed somewhere to flee from the communists.
Blame Britannica and Wiki then.

I wonder what happened to the Gigabyte employee that made the insulting remark about Chinese Manufacturing quality? They not only costed the investors a huge drop in market share but probably cost the company a good bit of future revenue and profits.
Has the employee be named? If the Chinese consumers aren't buying their products then it may hit them in the pocket but the rest of the globe is still there for sales.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Has the employee be named? If the Chinese consumers aren't buying their products then it may hit them in the pocket but the rest of the globe is still there for sales.

If they have been named I couldn't find it in my brief search.

If they have been named I couldn't find it in my brief search.
Same result here. No doubt he'll be assigned to tea making duties for the forseeable future having lost Gigabyte all that money.
Or shot...

Reactions: 64K
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I wonder what happened to the Gigabyte employee that made the insulting remark about Chinese Manufacturing quality? They not only costed the investors a huge drop in market share but probably cost the company a good bit of future revenue and profits.
And gained the company a great deal of free press.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I always wondered if it was a matter of forgetfulness or intentionally used as a gift for a potential puppet
A bit of both I'd say. There was a reason behind the liberation from the Japanese after all, even though the Chinese civil war ended after WWII. Taiwan was it's own nation again for a short while, but not really recognised by anyone that mattered, kind of like now. That seems to be slowly changing though, as Taiwan is progressing in a way that prevents Western nations from ignoring the island. That and TSMC...

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Same result here. No doubt he'll be assigned to tea making duties for the forseeable future having lost Gigabyte all that money.
Or shot...
Don't take the part that says "wiping away around $550 million worth of market cap" literally; those same millions were made out of thin air in the last ~40 days, apparently since Giga-Byte issued their annual report (which is not public yet). The stock price is still higher than ever before, except for that last month, and is rising. I presume that those who have access to the report have seen a lot of good news in it.

Will China stop buying Gigabyte products? Maybe but if the boycott lasts, it will be because the actual action of moving manufacturing out of China, not because of one carefully-worded, precision-timed blog post by an employee at a carefully chosen low or mid level, followed by a swift and carefully-worded apology.

Low quality post by Hargema
Gigabyte should put their money where their mouth is first. Move ALL production out of china and to some other country before boasting about others using the chinese for labor.

I mean that's the entire point of social credit, the government can use it to cancel any citizens that cross them. Cancel them in both the literal and figurative sense.

We got prisons in the West too.

Don't take the part that says "wiping away around $550 million worth of market cap" literally; those same millions were made out of thin air in the last ~40 days, apparently since Giga-Byte issued their annual report (which is not public yet). The stock price is still higher than ever before, except for that last month, and is rising. I presume that those who have access to the report have seen a lot of good news in it.

Will China stop buying Gigabyte products? Maybe but if the boycott lasts, it will be because the actual action of moving manufacturing out of China, not because of one carefully-worded, precision-timed blog post by an employee at a carefully chosen low or mid level, followed by a swift and carefully-worded apology.
I know how it all works my friend. ;)
Too big to fail. Free money. Behind the scenes it's business as usual.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Dude, stop spread PRC propaganda. This is EXACTLY how the PRC is justifying what they're doing. Oh look, the white man did this in the past, so we have the right to do it as well and no-one can tell us we're wrong. :rolleyes:
I dunno, we do have a lot of shit to sort out over here. This doesn't make what China's doing right, it makes us both wrong.

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Out of all companies it's Giga pulling this bullshit. They really are in no position to say that, when their RMA is lowest tier and they still make their stuff in China. Also some of their boards ended up being e-waste and their PSUs go boom-boom.

Out of all companies it's Giga pulling this bullshit. They really are in no position to say that, when their RMA is lowest tier and they still make their stuff in China. Also some of their boards ended up being e-waste and their PSUs go boom-boom.
Yeah. Should be in the worst typo in history category. Sounds politically motivated IMO but let's not go there.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Yeah. Should be in the worst typo in history category. Sounds politically motivated IMO but let's not go there.
Regarding your post about "too big too fail", is Gigabyte big? I always had an impression that they are basically a small fry in the game or some kind of subsidiary of conglomerate, like Palit and PNY. I never thought that they are actually big or rich, therefore explains why lots of their stuff is cheaper than competition's (particularly in motherboard and GPU market) and often just some random rebrands (PSU market). They skimp on RMA to drive costs down.

Regarding your post about "too big too fail", is Gigabyte big? I always had an impression that they are basically a small fry in the game or some kind of subsidiary of conglomerate, like Palit and PNY. I never thought that they are actually big or rich, therefore explains why lots of their stuff is cheaper than competition's (particularly in motherboard and GPU market) and often just some random rebrands (PSU market). They skimp on RMA to drive costs down.
They are, Huge in fact with their tentacles all over the tech world and revenues topping almost $70 billion in 2019.

About their RMA skimping. Aren't they all at it when it suits them?

System Name Mr. Obsolete| Ms. Old
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K | Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Asus Maximus VIII Gene
Cooling DeepCool GAMMAXX 120 | Coolermaster i7C
Memory Kingston HyperX 1866 16GB (8x2) | Kingston HyperX 2400 16GB (8x2)
Video Card(s) Asus TUF GTX 1650 Super | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1050Ti
Storage Intel 330 180GB + WD Blue 1TB | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) ASUS VZ239HE | ASUS VZ239HR
Case Silverstone SG13B | Silverstone PS15B
Audio Device(s) On-Board Realtek ALC898 + Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 | ROG SupremeFX 2015 + Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3
Power Supply FSP SFX PRO 450 | Seasonic S12-III 500
Software Windows 10 Home
What goes around comes around.

Don't shoot yourselves in the foot.

Probably their "management" are composed now of trigger happy entitled young ones.

Funny because gigabyte is also mainly made in china, and not even the good made in china. I always had trouble with their motherboards. If you look at capacitors and other stuffs quality across all motherboards and GPU brands you'll notice that gigabyte always goes for the cheapest while advertising "military grade" stuff.

Funny because gigabyte is also mainly made in china, and not even the good made in china. I always had trouble with their motherboards. If you look at capacitors and other stuffs quality across all motherboards and GPU brands you'll notice that gigabyte always goes for the cheapest while advertising "military grade" stuff.
msi asus use "military"
gigabyte uses "ultra duable"/"server grade"

i dont think gigabyte cheaps out on caps on all mobos.
gigabyte use japnese ncc 10k caps and Japanese fp10k caps and poscaps on mid to high range mobo at least on recent high end intel platform.

the mit mkt shit is related to aorus series notebook only.
and yes, gigabyte has factories in china and taiwan as well, so gigabyte has all the data to compare them in terms of quality.
but honestly I don't think gigabyte was intended to attack mic. it seemed gigabyte just wanted to make fun of other brands who have no owned factory to make notebooks only.
it is said that having its own factory is always better than choosing oem / being fabless.

Last edited:
System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
it is said that having its own factory is always better than choosing oem / being fabless.
"Real men build fabs" - Jerry Sanders

"Real men build fabs" - Jerry Sanders
simple as that.
not saying this is 100% true in terms of built quality/tech/skills, but it is the tradition, I guess.

gigabyte has lots of stuffs oem like ram/case/aio/ssd etc.
what they truly aimed for were brands, not factories nor countries, and of course they must have wanted to stay out of political messes in some country like china.
i think they would still make fun of brands who choose German or japan oem.

fun fact, gigabyte aorus notebook (insisted on made in taiwan) is not the "gigabyte" we talk which is mainly responsible for mobo and gpu nowadays.
there is another subsidiary for notebook business.

and from what I have heard, gigabyte notebook is not that really good even in gaming oriented market.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
gigabyte has lots of stuffs oem like ram/case/aio/ssd etc.
what they truly aimed for were brands
I would say that they are only known for motherboards ang graphics cards, everything else has nearly zero availability and they clearly don't care about those things. The last time I heard of Gigabyte cases was from this video:

I'm pretty sure that for case like that potential market was somebody like Phil only. On website you can see that they should have some more modern cases, but I have never seen one like that for sale anywhere. The only Giga power supply I ever saw for sale was some cheapo black 500 watt unit, likely not even 80 plus certified. I saw copper SSD from them and that's it. I didn't even know that they make SSDs and memory.

Their AORUS brand is far more important for them so it seems. They pretty much want it to be a proper TUF or ROG competitor, but so far I can say that their brand hardly means anything to potential buyer. I would dare to say that Asrock's Fatal1ty brand used to mean more than AORUS does now.