1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Fan Spikes

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Tanger, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, everyone!

A couple of days ago I bought the GTX 1080. So far it delivers insane performance and works really well.
    But I think the fans are acting a little strange in certain conditions. So what do I mean by that?

When the graphics card is not in use it is in idle mode. The fans are not spinning which is normal. Then I launch a demanding game like Witcher 3 or Crysis 3. The GPU starts to warm up and when the temperature reaches 50 degrees Celsius the fans start to spin. And here is the problem. At 50c the fan speed jumps from 0% to 8% and here the spikes occur. The fan speed jumps from 0 rpm to 1300 rpm in less than a second (when this happens a strange sound comes from my PC case like the fan is rubbing against something, which is of course not).

This happens two times and when the fan speed is above 8% the fans are spinning normally according to the GPU temps without any spikes. Same thing happens when I quit the game and the fan speed reaches 8%. The fan speed drops from 450 rpm to 0 and then immediately to around 1300 rpm. This happens two times and then the fans stop spinning. It's like the speeds between 0 - 450 rpm do not exist. I have managed to capture this behavior on GPUZ. Here only one spike occurred shortly after I exited Witcher 3.

Can please someone tell me if this is normal? I am using the latest drivers (368.39) and windows 10 pro (clean install). Nothing is overclocked. I have not experienced any crashed, blue screens, freezing etc... All games are working really well, the temps under heavy load are around 68c.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• GPUZ.gif
      GPUZ.gif
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    If i remember correctly, some FE cards had the same problem. Best contact gigabyte and ask for a bios fix

rtwjunkie and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    I haven't had that problem, since that should've been fixed with the latest driver. The issue that has been described is nothing that has been around before, I suspect this is a BIOS issue as well, so get in contact with Gigabyte and see what they have to say.

4. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    My vbios version is 86.04.17.00.07. But on techpowerup i have found a newer vbios version named 86.04.17.00.66 and on official gigabyte website it says this newer version should modify fan duty. I don't exactly know what this means. Will the new bios fix this problem? That is of course a stupid question but I am scared of flashing my gpu beacuse it cost 900€ and I don't want to break it.

Link: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5915#bios

Also, are bioses posted on techpowerup official? Are they reliable?

5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Contact Gigabyte to be sure, but the fan duty description is what they would have said for whatever fan use cycles that needed fixing. Therefore, it sounds like the newer BIOS fixes it. But you should contact Gigabyte to make sure.

6. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    SAVE YOUR EXISTING BIOS FIRST if you flash. If you don't like it, flash back. TPU bioses are generally reliable, it's up to you to choose what to flash though, there's no warranty it's all on you. I thought they fixed the fan spikes with the latest driver.

peche and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  7. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    best coment so far,
    @Gigabyte-Gaming is a Gigabyte's rep here in the forum he might help,

Regards,

rtwjunkie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course I will backup my existing bios, it would be pretty insane not to do that :)

I will contact @Gigabyte-Gaming and direct him to this thread.

Thank you all for your help :)

9. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    You just did! :)

Caring1, peche and erocker say thanks.
  10. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update...

Yesterday I updated my bios to the current version but I think the problem still persist. Though it is less anoying. Could this be a driver issue?

11. Gigabyte-Gaming

Gigabyte-Gaming Gigabyte Rep

Thanks Received:
    Hi Tanger.
    Did you update to the BIOS on our website? It should fix the problem with the fans spinning too fast.

12. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I downloaded it and installed it from gigabyte website (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5915#bios). The bios update was successful, I checked with GPUZ. The problem is kind of fixed now, but from time to time it still jumps up and down especially when the fans start around 50c. Jumps from 0% to 8% (in rpm......from 0 to 1200 which is weird because 8% fan speed is around 450rpm). I don't exactly know if this is the correct way the card should work? It acts like it can't operate below 8% (below 450rpm).

13. fukuda

fukuda

Thanks Received:
    I signed up just to post in this thread. My Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 also suffers from these issues. When the fans are idle, the the RPMs spike around 50C, tweaking the fan curve in the Gigabyte software or other GPU software does not make a difference, it does this when the 'FAN STOP' LED is on as well. This is quite audible and annoying when doing general things like surfing the web and watching videos.

For regular gaming the card runs cool and fine. I am on the latest BIOS.

Attached Files:

14. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    I have the same card, but I have not noticed these issues.

OP might want to consider using something like Afterburner and create a custom fan profile. MSI's gaming app is, frankly, crap.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  15. fukuda

fukuda

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Afterburner as a work around to make the GPU silent, at 10% fan speed the fan goes into the spiking mode where the RPMs goes up and down.

20% onwards is fine, I've got it set to 20% speed from 0C to 50C and an upwards curve afterwards.

16. Gigabyte-Gaming

Thanks Received:
    Let me check with our R&D

dorsetknob and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  17. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some info....

The spikes occur much more frequently when I choose "Prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia control panel. If I choose "power optimized" it spikes only once when I start a game like Witcher 3 and only once when I close it. But in maximum performance, it spikes when I open windows explorer, chrome or any other ordinary non-3d program. I monitored this behavior with GPUZ and apparently clock speed jumps from 200mhz to 1600mhz in performance mode even if I open a simple program like chrome. So I left this setting at power optimized.

The spike also occurs the first second when I turn on my PC and a second before my PC shuts down.

I don't know if this is relevant but..............................my GPU has an 8 pin power connector. Because I don't have an 8 pin cable I plugged in 6 pin and then a 2 pin. Is this ok?

Below is a screenshot where I set power setting to prefer maximum performance. Then I started playing a non demanding .mp4 video file. Three spikes occured.

Attached Files:

• GPUZ.gif
      GPUZ.gif
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  18. fukuda

fukuda

Thanks Received:
    Are you hearing the spike when you turn on the PC? That's when the fans begin spinning, I hear that as well, then it goes into FAN STOP mode.

The 6 + 2 pin connector is fine, the card has a light on it that alerts you if irregular power is being delivered.

19. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, when I power up my PC I hear the spike and then the fan shuts itself off. Everything is really strange about this, I have never run into such issue. Otherwise, the GPU works like a charm.

20. Gigabyte-Gaming

Thanks Received:
    Our R&D is looking into it. I just told them you updated with more information.

fukuda and Tanger say thanks.
  21. J_p New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also signed up to post.

Did i miss something? Why can't the native utility for this GPU change something like the fan rpm when tweaking the curve and applying? should we have to use Afterburner to do this?

I wouldn't mind if they idled at a low rpm but this spiking this is a bit strange.

Also having this issue.
    on latest BIOS

22. fukuda

fukuda

Thanks Received:
    It seems as though the spiking occurs when the GPU is around 0% - 10% fan speed and the temperature reaches around 50C, it occurs in Afterburner and in Gigabyte's app.

I set my fan curve to minimum 20% fan speed, that fixes the problem, but the fan stays on.

23. Tanger

Tanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. For some strange reason, the fans can't spin with a speed between 0 and 450 rpm. Unfortunately, I have never owned a card with a "fan stop" functionality so I can't know for sure if this behavior is normal or not.

I don't know the reason but you'll probably have to change this with afterburner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  24. Gigabyte-Gaming

Thanks Received:
    I'm pushing for an answer from R&D !!

rtwjunkie and J_p say thanks.
  25. Nellu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem here too, happy to see i'm not the only one with this fan's problem. Like you the only way i find is to create a fan profil with all time a minimum of 20% fan speed :(