• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Introduces UEFI-Equipped 990FXA-UD5 Motherboard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
When Gigabyte ported a bulk of its socket AM3+ motherboard lineup to the modern UEFI BIOS, back in October 2012, top models that support NVIDIA SLI, such as the 990FXA-UD5 missed out, with the 990FXA-UD3 leading the pack. The company made amends launching the 990FXA-UD5 Rev 3.0, which tosses out decades-old legacy BIOS for modern AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS, backed by the company's Dual-UEFI innovation, which protects against failed BIOS updates. The 990FXA-UD5 features a 12-phase VRM to power the CPU, five PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots, supporting 3-way NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX, eight SATA 6 Gb/s ports, two eSATA 6 Gb/s ports, four USB 3.0, 8-channel HD audio, and a single gigabit Ethernet interface. It is expected to be priced around US $160.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
And I'll be using Legacy for as long as possible. This EFI crap is a nice pain in the ass.
I can't even install windows as MBR with it enabled. The drive will automatically be GPT.
Manually FDISKing doesn't work (at least not always), it freezes on formatting the partition.

On top of it, some OEMs are making it splendidly difficult to run in legacy mode. HP has a secret key (F9) on their laptops that you have to use, otherwise, it boots in EFI, regardless. The legacy option in bios does nothing (and it even says it won't use it WTF).
I don't need their driver crap, either. They can shove all of it. Oh, I almost forgot, some of them boot so fast that you can barely get into setup.

I guess it was too hard to just update the old bios to support larger drives. Wankers.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Huh? I guess you haven't tried much outside of that HP notebook of yours then, as I have none of the issues you're describing and I have multiple UEFI systems.

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Nice color scheme :). Gigabyte has made a lot of improvements in this area

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
And I'll be using Legacy for as long as possible. This EFI crap is a nice pain in the ass.
I can't even install windows as MBR with it enabled. The drive will automatically be GPT.
Manually FDISKing doesn't work (at least not always), it freezes on formatting the partition.

On top of it, some OEMs are making it splendidly difficult to run in legacy mode. HP has a secret key (F9) on their laptops that you have to use, otherwise, it boots in EFI, regardless. The legacy option in bios does nothing (and it even says it won't use it WTF).
I don't need their driver crap, either. They can shove all of it. Oh, I almost forgot, some of them boot so fast that you can barely get into setup.

I guess it was too hard to just update the old bios to support larger drives. Wankers.

Why would you ever want to use MBR over GPT? Why would you ever want to use BIOS over UEFI? Do you just like living in the past?

And yes, it would be too difficult to update a nearly 30 year old piece of software to work with modern hardware and software requirements. In no way shape or form is BIOS better than UEFI. It boots slower, it's easier to corrupt, it's more janky to update and it doesn't properly utilize modern, multi-core hardware or fast-boot technologies.