• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Launches World's First Fully Certified Dual Port Thunderbolt Motherboards

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today announced the latest GIGABYTE 7 series motherboards, the very first to offer fully certified dual onboard Thunderbolt ports. Capable of connecting up to 12 devices plus 3 digital displays simultaneously, with breathtaking data transfer speeds that can transfer 1 TB of data in only five minutes, GIGABYTE Thunderbolt motherboards offer the fastest connection interface ever on the desktop PC.

GIGABYTE Thunderbolt motherboards allow users to daisy chain up to 12 devices simultaneously via an incredible bi-directional 10 Gbps data pipeline that includes both PCIe and DisplayPort traffic. GIGABYTE Thunderbolt motherboards redefine desktop PC connectivity to make it far easier to connect multiple high speed storage devices and HD displays to your PC than ever before.

"It's easy to see how our unique dual port Thunderbolt implementation simply offers more," commented Henry Kao, Vice President of GIGABYTE Motherboard Business Unit. "We're the only motherboard vendor currently offering DIY PC builders the absolute maximum in terms of device connectivity."

"Thunderbolt technology represents a leap in performance and simplicity for media creators and entertainment enthusiasts," says Jason Ziller, Intel's director of Thunderbolt marketing. "We are pleased to be working with GIGABYTE as they bring the first dual Thunderbolt port motherboard to market. It's a great example of what Thunderbolt makes possible."

GIGABYTE Dual Thunderbolt motherboards open up a wealth of new possibilities regarding high-performance storage devices. GIGABYTE has worked closely with several leading device partners, including Promise Technology, LaCie, BlackMagic, Western Digital, Seagate, Elgato, CalDigit and cable manufacturer Sumitomo:

"Working with GIGABYTE has been very exciting," said Kosta Panagos, Director of Creative Marketing, at CalDigit. "GIGABYTE's new line of Intel 7 series motherboards featuring dual Thunderbolt ports, will usher in a new era of flexibility to the PC platform. It is also a perfect match with CalDigit's new T1 and T2 Thunderbolt drives which provide professional level performance on all platforms at consumer prices, a feat that was previously unattainable, thanks to GIGABYTE and Thunderbolt technology."

GIGABYTE's new dual port Thunderbolt motherboards are an exciting innovation, giving incredible performance and are perfect for video and film professionals using Thunderbolt and the PC," said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. "Customers using our wide range of Thunderbolt devices will now be able to choose to work in whatever format they need, giving them the flexibility to build whatever production and post production workflow they need."

"In line with GIGABYTE and its dual on board Thunderbolt ports, WD's My Book Thunderbolt Duo offers dual Thunderbolt ports for amazing creative flexibility while allowing daisy-chaining of up to six My Book Thunderbolt Duo drives or other high performance peripherals for fast and efficient workflow," said Craig Davis, Director Sales & Marketing, Retail Division, Western Digital Asia Pacific & Japan Region.

"Thunderbolt technology is a fantastic way to deliver both data and display via one interface. It provides unparalleled performance and plenty of flexibility," said Leo Paskin, Product Marketing Manager at Seagate. "With the ability to daisy chain up to 12 devices on GIGABYTE's new dual port Thunderbolt motherboards, you can turn a desktop PC into a central device hub by plugging in a single cable!"

"As the first Intel certified cable vendor, Sumitomo is delighted to see GIGABYTE bring the first dual port Thunderbolt motherboard to market, creating the ultimate connectivity for desktop PCs," commented Motoi Matsuo. "These new Thunderbolt motherboards are also the perfect fit for Sumitomo's exclusive high speed 20m optical cables."

"Thanks to their dual Thunderbolt ports, Gigabyte's new 7 series motherboards deliver unbeatable flexibility", says Adam Steinberg, Vice President Marketing at Elgato. "The unique dual port feature enables users to combine multiple portable Thunderbolt devices like the powerful Elgato Thunderbolt SSD."

"LaCie is pleased to see GIGABYTE announce Thunderbolt technology on their lasted motherboards," said Erwan Girard, Professional Business Unit Manager, LaCie. "The time is now for demanding PC users, especially digital content creators, to experience the unprecedented speeds and advantages enabled by Thunderbolt Technology. The desire for computers and peripherals to keep up with their work flow is a concern of the past."

Dual Thunderbolt - Fast, Flexible and Simple Connectivity for your Motherboard

GIGABYTE Thunderbolt motherboards are the first to be certified by Intel featuring dual Thunderbolt ports directly on the motherboard back panel I/O, with each Thunderbolt port supporting a maximum data transfer speeds with simultaneous bi-directional data transfer at speeds of up to 10 Gbps - this means you can transfer a full HD 1080p movie in under 30 seconds.

GIGABYTE's dual port Thunderbolt implementation ensures the absolute maximum potential connectivity, with support to connect up to 12 individual devices simultaneously, with each port offering full 10 Gbps bandwidth.

Thunderbolt combines both DisplayPort and PCI Express protocols over a single cable so that users can connect a multitude of device types in tandem with HD streaming video and 8-channel audio, simultaneously in one specially developed cable. Users can also enjoy improved flexibility by 'daisy-chaining' several devices while still enjoying low latency and industry-leading data transfer speeds.

GIGABYTE Thunderbolt Motherboards Models

Dual Thunderbolt Ports are featured on the following GIGABYTE motherboard models:

Ultra Durable 5

The GIGABYTE Z77X-UP5 TH and Z77X-UP4 TH both employ award winning GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 5 technology that includes high current capable components for the CPU power zone including IR3550 PowIRstage ICs from International Rectifier, 2X Copper PCB and high current Ferrite Core Chokes rated up to 60A, which together are able to deliver up to 60°C cooler temperatures than traditional motherboards. Featured on a range of new motherboards based the Intel X79 and Z77 Express Chipsets, GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 5 technology is the next evolution in quality motherboard design.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
If others don't start doing the same, it's all for naught. Then we need something to actually use Thunderbolt for.

I can't say I'm interested until Thunderbolt switches to fiber optic.

Jacez44

System Name White Phoenix
Processor Intel i7-2600k @ 5.1Ghz (1.525v)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-UD7
Cooling Thermalright TRUE
Memory G.SKill 16GB DDR3-2000 CL9
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 680 2GB
Storage Crucial M4 256GB w/12TB NAS
Display(s) 2007FP / 3007WFP / 2007FP
Case White Antec p190
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Silverstone 1000w [Single Rail]
Software Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Can I ask - what's the point of Thunderbolt?

If you create a USB 4.0, you'll have backwards compatibility with practically every device ever created.

I thought the days of Firewire and the like are over. Back when Firewire was popular, it was far better. Now, the difference between 5Gbps or higher seems a poor reason to create a completely new system that has no compatibility with any device on the market..

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
USB is reaching it's physical limitations (was 4 pin, now it's 8 pin). USB needs to be replaced at some point.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

If you create a USB 4.0, you'll have backwards compatibility with practically every device ever created.

I thought the days of Firewire and the like are over. Back when Firewire was popular, it was far better. Now, the difference between 5Gbps or higher seems a poor reason to create a completely new system that has no compatibility with any device on the market..

It'll be awesome for laptop docking stations.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
The licenser's of pcie had something up their sleeve too

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Intel owns Thunderbolt and PCI Express. DisplayPort is a royalty-free VESA standard. Intel is a member of VESA.

convenience, connect multiple devices(storage, displays, etc.) using a single cable. also reduces the cable clutter on the desktop. :rockout:

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home

I still prefer Firewire over USB. Dunno why but Firewire devices I've owned always worked better than USB. Printers/scanners are another thing but storage and networking. Sure USB got fast and was great but I kept having some issue or another with them. Usually data transmission would be rather bursty, or with networking devices they'd have a lot of connection issues.

My Firewire devices I could plug in and have no issue. Just seemed like the connection was designed with consistent data transfer. Nice n stable with fewer oddities.

Maybe it was just early USB devices and early USB2 chips. My more recent Passport drive and my last iPod both ran decently on USB2/3.

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory 8GB G.skill ARES
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980Ti SC
Storage Samsung 830 256gb
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02
Power Supply Corsair RM 1000
Software Windows 8.1
USB is reaching it's physical limitations (was 4 pin, now it's 8 pin). USB needs to be replaced at some point.

It is, but I just hope one day that thunderbolt devices doesn't cost 3x the motherboard

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I still prefer Firewire over USB. Dunno why but Firewire devices I've owned always worked better than USB. Printers/scanners are another thing but storage and networking. Sure USB got fast and was great but I kept having some issue or another with them. Usually data transmission would be rather bursty, or with networking devices they'd have a lot of connection issues.

My Firewire devices I could plug in and have no issue. Just seemed like the connection was designed with consistent data transfer. Nice n stable with fewer oddities.

Maybe it was just early USB devices and early USB2 chips. My more recent Passport drive and my last iPod both ran decently on USB2/3.
USB has a pool of bandwidth whereas IEEE1394 has dedicated bandwidth. If you plug two high-bandwidth devices into USB, they'll fight over the bandwidth where they wouldn't in IEEE1394.

Thunderbolt has a pool of bandwidth like USB, but if I am following that picture right, it has two pools (one per connector) of 20 Gb. Much higher than USB3's 5 Gb and a lot higher than USB2's 480 Mb.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
so if I hardwire my house, I should use thunderbolt and not cat6?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
No, Thunderbolt isn't a networking interface. It's for running devices off of a single computer. Thunderbolt cables have a maximum length of 3 meters (10 feet) for copper--very short.

Thunderbolt has a pool of bandwidth like USB, but if I am following that picture right, it has two pools (one per connector) of 20 Gb. Much higher than USB3's 5 Gb and a lot higher than USB2's 480 Mb.

You're not correct.
Thunderbolt lanes are like this:

10Gb is for DATA
10Gb is for Video, 2560x1600 requires 7Gbps

so... only 10Gb for data (which is twice that of USB 3.0)

What I'm more interested in is where they're getting their bandwidth from. they either need to tap off PCI Express lanes from the CPU (reducing graphics performance (NO SLI!) or utilize PCI Express lanes from the PCH which are, honestly, already in short supply on Z77 (DMI 2.0 is 4x PCI Express 2.0 or 20GB/s)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Well, almost all the machines I administer at work are Macs and for all of those that have ThunderBolt, I would love to re-image those machines using TB. Firewire 800 is quick but TB could have a machine imaged in a matter of minutes, rather than half an hour.

so if I hardwire my house, I should use thunderbolt and not cat6?

That is what CAT7 is for, but be warned, 10Gbps switches and NICs cost a lot.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is what CAT7 is for, but be warned, 10Gbps switches and NICs cost a lot.

Cat7 cost a lot too (almost €4/metre). I mean if you're building a new house sure go for it but otherwise? For most people it's just not worth it. And Cat6 can handle 10Gbps too, right? Cat7 is more reliable at those speeds though but still not worth the massive extra cost. (imo)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Cat7 cost a lot too (almost %u20AC4/metre). I mean if you're building a new house sure go for it but otherwise? For most people it's just not worth it. And Cat6 can handle 10Gbps too, right? Cat7 is more reliable at those speeds though but still not worth the massive extra cost. (imo)

CAT7 can be run at longer lengths than CAT6 at those kinds of speeds. It also has added protection from cross talk in hostile environments. So it really depends on what you're planning on doing, now and in the future.

Marketing. It's what Razer does with it's strange gaming devices (Netbook, etc) - just show the world, what Gigabyte is ABLE to do with modern technics. Polishing the image.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Marketing. It's what Razer does with it's strange gaming devices (Netbook, etc) - just show the world, what Gigabyte is ABLE to do with modern technics. Polishing the image.

Thunderbolt is not marketing. We just haven't seen many things that actually uses it to it's capabilities. This is a good start though.

I wish Gigabyte would hurry up and release a Z77 Mini ITX board. Them being the only ones with a boosted USB power spec baked into the motherboard (as opposed to the software, a lot of the time just limited to Apple products) make their offerings the only ones I really bother to look at unfortunately.

Better yet, they could make such a product and INCLUDE Dual thunderbolt capability running off of 8x PCI-e 3.0!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I wish Gigabyte would hurry up and release a Z77 Mini ITX board. Them being the only ones with a boosted USB power spec baked into the motherboard (as opposed to the software, a lot of the time just limited to Apple products) make their offerings the only ones I really bother to look at unfortunately.

Better yet, they could make such a product and INCLUDE Dual thunderbolt capability running off of 8x PCI-e 3.0!

Does Gigabyte even do ITX boards?

EDIT: Hey they do! But yeah that would be great.

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Thnx for the tip Christian! Nice to see Gigabyte stepping things up, I'm really fed up with Asus' lack of support and non existant CS.

Thunderbolt looks promising :)

Any N/A members looking for bulk cables check partsexpress.com or monoprice.com, they carry just about everything and have great CS! Have dealt with both places.

Sorry for the O/T :eek:

:toast:

They had an H55 Mini-ITX board which was actually quite beloved to the SFF community at the time of the release (The competitor's product had a tendency to fail, some ICs were blocking some CPU brackets), and an H61 (but unfortunately no Z68 for no good reason) board which felt more like a big step backwards from something so good.

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??

I would LOVE to see this! Currently in the market for an iTX and only choices are Asus/Asrock, z77 based anyways....

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

IF there was such a thing as a PCI Express 3.0 Thunderbolt controller...

Gigabyte's 7-series mini-ITX boards should be announced next month.