• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gigabyte oc vs 4h 5h line?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Ya'll can go back and forth all you want, however, where most people are overclocking to, an 8 phase with the lower end IOR bits will be plenty.

Don't make something out of nothing. Now, if you guys were going sub ambient, perhaps at that point would my concern raise from none. BUt 4-4.5GHz.. I would happily use that board and it would be happy being used. :)

Z87X-OC is marketed for heavy overclockers that are looking for benchmarks/screenshots to win competitions rather than long-term stable overclocks (ie Gaming)
If its stable at 6GHz+ its stable at 4.4GHz...;)

Last edited:

kpoeticg

Ya'll can go back and forth all you want, however, where most people are overclocking to, an 8 phase with the lower end IOR bits will be plenty.

Don't make something out of nothing. Now, if you guys were going sub ambient, perhaps at that point would my concern raise from none. BUt 4-4.5GHz.. I would happily use that board and it would be happy being used. :)

If its stable at 6GHz+ its stable at 4.4GHz...;)

I wasn't saying that as a negative point. Just from what they said at Computex and everything I've read about the board, the Z87X-OC just seems to be produced for Overclockers. That board in particular was designed by their in house OC Guru for the sole purpose of overclocking. So basically it was designed from start to finish by a person looking to make the best board he could think of for Pro OC'ers to win competitions with. Then Gigabyte took that board and added all the extra features that people look for in a high end board and released it as the OC-Force

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Based on what I am seeing it looks like the Z87X-OC is not good design and will end up failing before the Force will. Force has double the number of higher amperage rated true "OC" (per IR manufacturer guidlines) 3550 part. With the low rated higher spec choke the power has better digital distribution of cleaner power for pushing cpu. The Force is a much more cleaner power design and the "OC" with 3553M is has a much higher potential to put out low quality power.

The Z87X-OC is marketed as being budget no thrill get to the point over clocking mother board yet uses the same CPU power IR3553M part found in the much cheaper priced Z87 being used in the UD3H. I could have spent less money and got a UD4H with double the amount of IR3553 power(16) for CPU. This IR3553M part is recommended to be used in server motherboard not over clocked gaming mother boards.

Sorry but I coudn't find some of the reviews that lead me to believe the CPU VRM IR were IR3550. Vortez still shows some nice art work for the "OC" series that show IR3550.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/gigabyte_z87x_oc_review,5.html

I really thought the "OC" series featured this IR 3550 VRM for the CPU power.

No theory here. Just sharing what I have found. To me it seems Gigabyte was trying to offer a "OC" series MB with the Z87X-OC but cheapened out on parts to make the most money possible from hyping it up and marketing.

To the enthusiast it makes no sense to buy this MB because its obvious the main VRM power output desing was cheapened out. I know this now but when I ordered it I didn't realize the IR's being used were cheapened out.

I'm not seeing other results with high CPU over clocks for ambient temp cooling with the Z87X-OC either. My delidded bare die mounted 4770k requires 1.4v withis mother board to clear a pass of the pre configured tests of the new Linpack with AVX2 and temps are in the low to mid 90C so I really don't have much head room left.

In that VOrtez review link that I posted they had a much better quality 4770k that required much less voltage and wasn't delided and they could only get to 4.7GHZ.

If I had cleaner cooler power from VRM I think my CPU would do better.

Couldn't a bios update fix the power? It's all digital so I think there is room for BIOS improvement but right now things don't seem right for my over clocks on ambient temps and I am not seeing many people results with ambient temp cooling and most people seem more interested in RAM speed. I am more interested in MAX CPU over clocks.

These chips run hot and your probably talking 100-200MHz. Thats it