• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Offers Another Free Thunderbolt 3 Upgrade

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards is proud to announce today, a new collection of GIGABYTE Motherboards that have been certified for Intel's Thunderbolt 3 technology. GIGABYTE is the leader in developing this technology as many devices in the market were created using GIGABYTE Motherboards as the golden sample.

Shortly after its release of the new Designare and ultra gaming motherboards GIGABYTE is announcing that many of these newly released boards have Thunderbolt 3 technology available to the users. Updating the BIOS and a simple software upgrade is all that is required of users to enable this feature. With a 40 Gb/s bandwidth, along with its ability to transmit data, video, audio, and power all in one cable, Thunderbolt technology is highly sought after for its rapid transfer speeds and ability to simplify cables around the computer. Users are able to daisy-chain up to six devices per port with an additional monitor at the end.

Thunderbolt 3 utilizes a Type-C connector, this reversible connector is also capable of supporting the USB 3.1 protocol for future devices.

In addition, GIGABYTE is also officially debuting the world's first front panel Thunderbolt 3 drive bay. This bay can be installed in a 5.25" expansion slot and has support for Power Delivery 2.0, up to 100 watts. Users will also get the benefit of having USB 3.1 support in both Type-A as well as Type-C connections.

Lastly, for users whose motherboards do not support Thunderbolt 3 natively, GIGABYTE is also releasing an add-on card, the GC-ALPINE RIDGE. This card is compatible with many GIGABYTE motherboards that have an onboard thunderbolt connector enabling the board to support thunderbolt functionality.

All of these features and products will be available to the public by the beginning of September 2016, for more information on how to get your motherboard Thunderbolt enabled please check on the GIGABYTE website.

GIGABYTE Motherboards already certified with Thunderbolt 3
  • GA-X99P-SLI
  • GA-Z170X-Gaming G1
  • GA-Z170X-Gaming GT
  • GA-Z170X-Gaming 7/-EK
  • GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
  • GA-X170-Extreme ECC

New Models with Thunderbolt 3
  • GA-X99-Designare EX
  • GA-Z170X-Designare
  • GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming
  • GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra
  • GA-X170-WS ECC
  • GA-H170-Designare

Thunderbolt 3 Accessories
  • GP-TBT3 Bay
  • GC-ALPINE RIDGE

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Seems like Gigabytes choice of USB 3.1 controller on their new motherboards has been a cost saver for users.

Any news of z170n-gaming 5 support? Apparently it's Last firmware supports tb3... Still Don't have any accesory to try the unofficial functionality

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Highly sought after... Oy.

When will TB die? How many devices use it?

Almost feels like Intel keeps pushing this, but, for years now it hasn't gained any REAL traction.

Highly sought after... Oy.

When will TB die? How many devices use it?

Almost feels like Intel keeps pushing this, but, for years now it hasn't gained any REAL traction.
Thunderbolt is superior to piece-of-shit USB, the only problem lies with Intel and Intel's wish to extort as much money as they can from Thunderbolt's licensees. It even supports peer to peer which is pretty cool feature one that should have been supported by the USB. With peer to peer you could turn a folder on a PC into virtual drive that would show up on directly connected PC with USB connection.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Thunderbolt is superior to piece-of-shit USB, the only problem lies with Intel and Intel's wish to extort as much money as they can from Thunderbolt's licensees. It even supports peer to peer which is pretty cool feature one that should have been supported by the USB. With peer to peer you could turn a folder on a PC into virtual drive that would show up on directly connected PC with USB connection.

USB is hardly shit, much like Beta, HD-DVD, and other standards, the market has spoken. I find USB failures to be the fault of cheap accessories and cheap people who buy them.

Better or not, it isn't here... nor does it seem it will be? They have been trying for YEARS for market saturation and it hasn't come close to happening.

USB is hardly shit, much like Beta, HD-DVD, and other standards, the market has spoken. I find USB failures to be the fault of cheap accessories and cheap people who buy them.
Take USB 3.0 power delivey, standard power delivery (what most devices use) is only 4.5W. That is such a joke, they could at least implement 15W or something similar which would let external 3.5" HDD operate without additional power supply. Things like this just shouldn't have happened and now we have the new almighty name USB 3.1 Gen1 which further confuses things and this change in name happened recently and not in the distant past. They keep making these mistakes which aren't excusable in this day and age. I have had trouble with USB 3.0 devices but I don't blame it on USB standard, I blame it on the manufacturer (HP has one of the worst USB 3.0 support in notebooks).

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
It has semi started taking off. Pretty much every laptop I would even buy has it now, they have some form of selection starting to exist since apple uses it. I give it about a year and we will see useful things on it.

USB 3.0 docks are basically useless because CPU needs to do work for processing the image but Thunderbolt supported DP lines which made it very useful. Only in 2016 we got USB Type-C which tries to stand up to Thunderbolt. Just detracting USB further.

LOL, random Thunderbolt facts...

Wake me up when/if its here in a couple years...