• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte P31-S3L + Transcend TS256GSSD340 - read transfers issue

Hi Guys!

I have got a problem with SSD Read transfers on my parents PC.

SSD: Transcend TS256GSSD340
Motherboard + Processor + RAM: Gigabyte P31-S3L + E7500 OC 3.5Ghz + 4GB Ram (2x2GB)

I realise that firstly this SSD is not the fastest in the world in the first place and secondly that this motherboard is based on ICH7, so doesn`t have AHCI and is limited to SATA II. But still I think that something is wrong, as Read transfers are like few times lower than Write.

- here you can find 4 photos showing AS SSD score + SMART + Device Manager + Bios settings that are available
- here I checked the drive in my PC with modern motherboard under SATA II and SATA III - as you can see transfers are perfectly fine, so the drive itself is fine IMO.

Thanks in advance for some advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody? What is the reason I get blue screen and "Inaccessable boot drive" error while booting to Windows 10 when I am changing SATA Mode from Auto to Enhanced (as per one of screenshots in first post)? Does it mean that "Enhanced" works as AHCI even when this motherboard has only got ICH7 chipset without AHCI? I know that some Asus motherboards offer AHCI even on ICH7 chipset.

Last edited:
System Name Main / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X / Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Strix B550i / B450i Aorus Pro
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad 360 / Wraith Spire
Memory Corsair LPX 2x16 3600MHz / HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE / ARC A380
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB / Sabrent Rocket 256GB
Display(s) Acer Z301c / 39" Panasonic HDTV
Case Corsair 2000D / Cougar QBX
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V379 / Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair SF600 / BeQuiet SFX Power 2 450W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Drop Sense75 with WQ Studio Morandi's
VR HMD Rift S
Software Win 11 Pro 64Bit
Enchanced mode is the one to go for, as it enables full SATA mode on the controller, if its not on, its in PATA mode, which is slower.
Your first screenshot in the second set is the speed you will be getting on SATA2

Enchanced mode is the one to go for, as it enables full SATA mode on the controller, if its not on, its in PATA mode, which is slower.
Your first screenshot in the second set is the speed you will be getting on SATA2

Thanks for the reply! Is there any way to overcome the device boot error without reinstalling Windows 10? I tried IDE to AHCI regedit method and Safe Mode method but they don`t work, still after changing to Enhanced I am getting this boot error.

System Name Main / HTPC
Mouse Logitech G900
VR HMD Rift S
Thanks for the reply! Is there any way to overcome the device boot error without reinstalling Windows 10? I tried IDE to AHCI regedit method and Safe Mode method but they don`t work, still after changing to Enhanced I am getting this boot error.
was it the same machine that you have installed windows on it with?

was it the same machine that you have installed windows on it with?

No, firstly it was Windows 7 on AMD X2 Athlon, then I updated this system to Windows 10 and then I changed the motherboard to abovementioned Gigabyte P31. All changes went smoothly, no issues, I didn't have to install new system.

System Name Main / HTPC
Mouse Logitech G900
VR HMD Rift S
No, firstly it was Windows 7 on AMD X2 Athlon, then I updated this system to Windows 10 and then I changed the motherboard to abovementioned Gigabyte P31. All changes went smoothly, no issues, I didn't have to install new system.
Yeah, thats what usually happens when you change platforms around, especially on older machines. You might want to invest your time into reinstalling it. If theres enough space on your SSD, your old installation should still stay, but all the files will move into Windows.old folder, so that you can still save em.

Yes, there is. From https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
  2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  3. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
  4. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
  5. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
  6. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  7. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  8. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
  9. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

Yeah, thats what usually happens when you change platforms around, especially on older machines. You might want to invest your time into reinstalling it. If theres enough space on your SSD, your old installation should still stay, but all the files will move into Windows.old folder, so that you can still save em.

I have got a problem to boot Windows 10 installation from USB on this motherboard so just to test Enhanced option, I installed Windows 7 on one of my spare SSDs and I plugged in the drive from the first post as a secondary one. Unfortunately seems like "Enhanced" hasn`t changed anything, still both 4k read transfers are pathetically low. I don`t get it, all write values are perfectly fine, so how is it possible that read 4k are so low :banghead: