• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE RTX 4090 Goes on Sale in Hong Kong Well Ahead of Time, But it's a Paperweight Until Drivers Release

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
At this rate, high-end GPUs of the future will ship not as add-on cards, but enclosures the size of Micro-ATX towers, with self-contained purpose-built ATX PSUs and cooling capable of dissipating 1-2 kW of thermal load. There will be an add-on card installed in your desktop that converts PCIe x16 into an x16 cable running up to this enclosure. You plug in your displays to the enclosure.

Like Jensen said, Moore's Law is dead, and so GPU power-draw will only follow an upward trend with each new generation.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
At this rate, high-end GPUs of the future will ship not as add-on cards, but enclosures the size of Micro-ATX towers, with self-contained purpose-built ATX PSUs and cooling capable of dissipating 1-2 kW of thermal load. There will be an add-on card installed in your desktop that converts PCIe x16 into an x16 cable running up to this enclosure. You plug in your displays to the enclosure.

Like Jensen said, Moore's Law is dead, and so GPU power-draw will only follow an upward trend with each new generation.

we get that there is addition power addedand performance increase goes hand in hand but it doesn't hurt to optimize the power efficiency and heat output.
Amd now says 95c is the new normal for its 7000's series, i like the high end spectrum of the technology but i dont want to sit next to a furnace lol.
I hope the manufacturers of cooling tech comes up with more powerful cooling solution.

Before you say there is custom water cooling but ill be honest custom water cooling takes quite a bit of maintenance and not to mention overall costly to get it up and running
From adding tubing, testing for leaks etc etc

Hxx

At this rate, high-end GPUs of the future will ship not as add-on cards, but enclosures the size of Micro-ATX towers, with self-contained purpose-built ATX PSUs
i want a lian li 4090 dynamic mini itx enclosure. May require a direct connection to the electrical panel because power requirement

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)

You mean like this?

They've been around for years. I know Razer makes one too; there are other companies as well.

Works fairly well. I have one of the older Sonnet eGFX models housing a Radeon RX 580 card for my Mac mini 2018. I don't play games on it, it's mostly for when I dabble with video editing (DaVinci Resolve). When not needed, it's completely powered down and I use the integrated graphics in the Core i7 CPU which sips power compared to the discrete graphics card.