• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte to implement replacement or refund program for Intel 6 series motherboards

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Looks like it's official, Gigabyte P67 motherboard owners will have to deal with the original seller for a refund or replacement, from Anandtech:

Gigabyte Announces 6-series Motherboard Replacement Program

Just half an hour ago, Gigabyte sent its replacement strategy for all of its own motherboards.

The key messages are as follows:

1) Gigabyte has stopped shipment to and recalled any unsold 6-series B2 motherboards from distributors and dealers.

2) Any Gigabyte 6-series B2 motherboards that have already been sold will be accepted back for replacement with a B3 board, regardless of condition. I asked Gigabyte if this meant that non-working boards could also be returned, Gigabyte said yes - all eligible 6-series models with B2 stepping chipsets will be accepted back.

Elligible Gigabyte 6-series Motherboards
GA-P67A-UD3 GA-P67A-UD3P GA-P67A-UD4 GA-P67A-UD5 GA-P67A-UD7
GA-H67MA-D2H GA-H67MA-UD2H GA-H67A-UD3H GA-H67M-D2 GA-H67M-UD2H
3) Gigabyte says that it should have 6-series B3 chipsets in April.

4) The replacement program will happen at the dealer/distributor level. You will have to exchange your board at the location you purchased it from.

5) Customers can either exchange their board (you'll have to wait until April for this to happen) or you can get a full refund sooner (immediately?). Gigabyte recommends going the refund route as that gives you more flexibility for what you want to do next.

6) The replacement board you get will be a brand new motherboard based on the B3 chipset. Gigabyte isn’t ready to disclose if there will be any new design features to these boards as well.

7) The cost of the product exchange will be handled by Intel and Gigabyte (presumably Intel is footing the entire bill).

April is two months away, that’s later than the end of February. I’m guessing the first recipients of B3 stepping chipsets will be large OEMs and notebook manufacturers. The component guys will likely come second. Getting replacement motherboards won’t happen on April 1st if that’s when Gigabyte gets chipsets either. This could end up being an April/May thing instead of March/April.

Sending all returns/exchanges through the distributor/retailer channels is an interesting approach. I would rather Gigabyte handle the whole thing (e.g. send us an eligible board, we’ll send you a new one) but I can understand if getting the distributors/retailers to help makes things easier.

The refund option is a nice one, although I'm not sure whether etailers will let you return your CPU as well once it has been used. I suspect that's something you'll have to take up with the vendor itself. If you plan on sticking with a Sandy Bridge system, your best bet is probably to keep using your system as is today and just exchange when the time comes.

I'm glad Gigabyte will be providing brand new motherboards for users who opt to exchange and that Gigabyte is accepting boards regardless of condition. Gigabyte hasn't yet decided what it's going to do with all of the returned boards.

Until April rolls around, the best you can do is use the 6Gbps SATA ports on your Sandy Bridge board. We’ll keep you posted as we get more of these notices from manufacturers.

Last edited:
Dang.. this is such an unexpected disaster to come out of SB motherboards. :(

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
From Gigabyte's official tech blog:

Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Intel 6 series chipset issues - Q&A
Q: What is the problem with Intel 6series chipsets?

A: As explained by Intel®, after a period of usage the SATA 2 ports 2~5 on motherboards based on Intel® 6 series B2 stepping chipsets may experience decreasing performance. This issue applies to all motherboards based on Intel 6 series chipsets from every vendor. However, it will not be an issue for systems that connect to the SATA 3 ports only. Intel® announced this issue and stated that they stand behind their products and are committed to product quality in the following online alert: “Alert for Intel® 6 Series Express Chipsets and Intel® Xeon® C200 Chipsets users” which release by Intel, Jan 31st, 2011. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm

Q: What models have been affect by this issue?

A: All GIGABYTE P67/H67/P65/PH67 chipset motherboards with B2 stepping 6 series chipsets are effected. All other GIGABYTE models based on other chipsets are not affected, and GIGABTYE continues to be committed to the highest product and service quality standards.

Q: What action should I take if I have already purchased a GIGABYTE 6 series motherboard?

A: Firstly, please determine your computer setup. No action will be needed if you only use the SATA 3 ports. If you are using the SATA2 ports, then there are possibilities that the device’s performance will decrease after a period of usage. To ensure the highest standard of customer support & services, GIGABYTE recommends that all customers who purchased GIGABYTE 6 series motherboards contact their local dealer (retail store where you purchased the motherboard) at the end of April for a motherboard exchange. GIGABYTE will provide an equivalent new motherboard replacement.

Q: What is the GIGABYTE swap policy for GIGABYTE 6series motherboards?

A: GIGABYTE will provide a replacement motherboard with the new 6 series chipset onboard at the end of April in order to reduce any inconvenience to our customers who are affected by this issue.

Q: What is the SOP for GIGABYTE 6 series motherboard exchange?

A: At the end of April please take your 6 series motherboard to the same store where you originally purchased it. If the product is not available at that time, please leave the series number and your personal contact details with the store and wait for further notice.

Q: When will the replacement be available?

A: According to Intel’s production plan, the 6 series B3 stepping chipset will be available by April, 2011. GIGABYTE will produce and ship replacement motherboards according to Intel’s chipset shipping schedule.

Q: For further information or enquiries regarding GIGABYTE 6 series motherboards, please contact your local disturber or visit the GIGABYTE website at http://www.gigabyte.com/.

I sent emails last night to both Provantage (my original seller) and Gigabyte, will let you guys know when I receive a reply from them, if you own one of these mobos I highly suggest you contact both the original seller and Gigabyte at:

http://ggts.gigabyte.com/Default.aspx

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
wait.....this isn't going to be resolved until april?

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Go gb for making headway into this april for new boards tho phew bit of a wait

System Name Always changing
Processor Always changing
Motherboard Always changing
Cooling Always changing
Memory Always changing
Video Card(s) Always changing
Storage Always changing
Display(s) Always changing
Case Always changing
Audio Device(s) Always changing
Power Supply Always changing
Mouse Always changing
Keyboard Always changing
Thank the lord my order for a sb build got canceled before this recall happened because my bank wasn't used to 3 grand purchases at newegg lol.

Got the following reply from Gigabyte:

Dear Customer,

As you may have heard, Intel has announced a potential design error in the new Intel 6 series chipsets. GIGABYTE stands behind all our products, and is committed to the highest quality product and customer support services. As an owner of a GIGABYTE 6 series motherboard, we recommend you return your product to your place of purchase for a refund. GIGABYTE is working with our vast network of distributors, and retailer/online dealers to streamline refunds with minimal inconvenience on customers end.

Thank you for choosing in GIGABYTE products

Looks like Anand was right, and GB is recommending ppl to return their mobos for a full refund, dunno if I wanna do that though, my system is stable and I see no reason to send it back yet and wait 2 months, then again, mobos based on the Z68 will be out already and I can use my old proc and mobo while I wait, keep my 2600K and use my refund money towards a Z68 mobo.

What do you guys suggest I do? :confused:

Last edited:
Returning a board right this minute doesn't make any sense unless you have a backup system. If Intel offered to pay for the cost of returned mobos and CPUs it might make a little more sense, but the worst possible thing that can happen between now and April is sata 2 ports quit working. Your computer isn't going to blow up and data on any attached disk is not going to be lost unless at the very moment a port stop working there's data being written.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Wish we could get advanced replacements.

Returning a board right this minute doesn't make any sense unless you have a backup system. If Intel offered to pay for the cost of returned mobos and CPUs it might make a little more sense, but the worst possible thing that can happen between now and April is sata 2 ports quit working. Your computer isn't going to blow up and data on any attached disk is not going to be lost unless at the very moment a port stop working there's data being written.

Yes, and I'm not even using those ports :p I have a backup CPU and mobo, but it'll be a pain in the ass building everything again, installing Win7 + games and apps and having to do it all over again in two months; if I wait til April to get the exchange, I wont mind waiting a week or so without my main PC if that means having to do the whole installation process only once...

But then again, if I save the money from my refund I could get a Z68 mobo once it's released, although I'm so happy with my new system, I really don't want to go back to my old proc :(

Wish we could get advanced replacements.

Do you mean getting a more advanced model when the time comes for an exchange? If mobo manufacturers would offer us the chance to upgrade to a newer model in a few months I would gladly accept it, I don't mind having to pay the difference and perhaps even shipping if they offered an exchange to a Z68 mobo, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. Anand made the same suggestion in his editorial yesterday.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I meant like we send them our serial number and receipt copy as proof of ownership and they send us a replacement board upfront. I don't have a spare rig to fall back on. Now the Z68 option would be nice. Say you buy a new Z68 outright, then you send in your old board and get a large refund for your new Z68.

I meant like we send them our serial number and receipt copy as proof of ownership and they send us a replacement board upfront. I don't have a spare rig to fall back on. Now the Z68 option would be nice. Say you buy a new Z68 outright, then you send in your old board and get a large refund for your new Z68.

Problem is there just aren't any backup boards as all chipsets are B2 stepping, and B3 stepping won't be available until maybe late April, so there's no point in getting defective replacement boards :( your last suggestion sounds reasonable enough to me though :)

A little update: I asked GB if I could hold to my system until replacement boards were available, since I was using it without any problems so far, and this was their reply:

Dear Customer

Since the item has been recall there will be no additional support for this product. It is strongly advise that you return the product back for credit. If you elect to keep the product you may for an exchange in the near future you may, but do note the return for credit option may not be available.

I haven't received any replies from my original seller (Provantage) even though I emailed them twice already.

I was wondering if any othe GB board owners have contacted GB and/or the board seller, and what have been your experiences so far. :confused: