• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Gigabyte X79-UD3 and Core i7-3930K Set Records with New F7 BIOS

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name Long shelf-life potato
Processor Intel Core i7-4770K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-A
Cooling Xigmatek Aegir CPU Cooler
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) 2x GeForce GTX 970 SLI
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 28-inch 4K
Case Cooler Master CM690 Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Mouse Razer Abyssus 2014
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10 Pro Creators Update
It's been a tough week or so for Gigabyte marketing. It had to admit that quite a few people had burned their motherboards, to which it offered free replacements, and isolated the problem to faulty firmware. There has been talk that this firmware cripples overclocking by throttling CPU clock speed under extreme stress. Gigabyte set out to do some myth-busting. Renowned overclocker and Gigabyte PR guy HiCookie set up a test-bench using Core i7-3930K, an "infamous" X79-UD3 motherboard running the latest version F7 BIOS, and a typical extreme-cooling bench.

Show full news post

System Name The "Oh shit we have competition"
Processor Core i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming
Cooling Custom WC & 240MM Rad
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666Mhz 16GB
Video Card(s) Palit Jetstream GTX 1080 OC 8GB
Storage 5TB HDDs + 1TB SSDs
Display(s) U2713HM + 2433T + XL2430T 144Hz
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Mouse The almighty Logitech G400
Keyboard Cougar 600K Cherry-MX Blue
Software Windows 10 Pro
No paid famous overclocker would convince me that those motherboards are just isn't as good as ASRock or Asus when it comes to overclocking

Nice try Gigabyte, Im not buying it

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I'm impressed he did it on a UD3 but he also has a fan blowing hard on the VRM. A bit difficult for people with cases.

It would be great if GB released a hybrid WC/air heatsink like they had a little way back, might just be what is needed.

Processor Intel Core i9 7900X delidded @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme
Cooling EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream PE 360, EK-CoolStream PE 240, EK-DDC Pump/X-RES 100
Memory Corsair Vengeance RED LED 32GB(8GBx4) DDR4 3400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE ( EK 1080TI Waterblock./ Backplate )
Storage Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512GB, 2x 850 Evos 1TB, WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S27B970 27" Wide PLS Monitor - 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Power Supply Cooler Master Vanguard Series 1000W
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12778735
2 core 2 threads wow :laugh:

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 1GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520
Display(s) 3x X243BW@5760x1080
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec TruePower Trio 650
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
yeah who cares about out of spec nonstandard circumstances.
sure yay its a great OC, but it still pails in comparison of the 'plug and play' style maturity and stability that Asrock and Asus UEFI patsburg boards have... I could go on for hours but cbf. so ill stop here

No paid famous overclocker would convince me that those motherboards are just isn't as good as ASRock or Asus when it comes to overclocking

Nice try Gigabyte, Im not buying it
Shamino works for ASUS and so does Andre Yang and then more, they all work for ASUS
Kingpin works for EVGA
Hicookie works for GIGABYTE

You would believe in any of the rest, but you wouldn't believe in the GB one? Seriously?

BTW there is no use in having a fan point over the VRM B/C LN2 cools the VRm from the inside out, and the circumstances aren't irregular, go over to HWBot and take a look at some of the resources these non-paid but heavily sponsored OC teams and users have.

Processor i7 3770K@4.7ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD65
Cooling Thermalright Venomous X black
Memory V-GEN 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX-560Ti
Storage Crucial M4 64GB | WD Green 1TB | Seagate 1TB | Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Viewsonic VA2013WM
Case Corsair Carbide 400R
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2ZS Platinum
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win7 x64
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=371985
Still not gonna buy it :D

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K@4.6GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR3-1866 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX960 STRIX @ 1500/1900
Storage 480GB Crucial MX200 + 2TB Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive with 128GB OCZ Synapse SSD Cache
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 1440p@120Hz
Case Corsair 650D Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm not really impressed. The VRM has been popping on people with water cooling with rather tame overclocks. I'm not surprised that the board survived when it has an LN2 pot on it, which cools the entire board around the socket, including the VRM, and he has a fan blowing right on the VRM.

But mainly, this doesn't address the throttling issue, it just kind of sidesteps it. Yes, he got records for clock speed and SuperPi, but was the CPU still throttling? What happens with all the cores enabled? Does the CPU throttle itself to the point that the overclock settings you set in the BIOS are pointless? That is what people are concerned about. It isn't about being able to set the settings in the BIOS and have them kind of work in Windows with 4 cores disabled long enough for a SuperPi run to finish, it is about achieving 24/7 clocks that aren't just numbers on the screen that aren't accurate because the board is throttling the CPU in the background under load.

I'm impressed he did it on a UD3 but he also has a fan blowing hard on the VRM. A bit difficult for people with cases.
And using LN2 is easy for people with cases?

Pretty much all the records are set by disabling as many cores as possible, standard practice for a world record run.

why would it throttle? Throttling occurs on every board at a certain point, UD3 and R4E included, loko at the forums. I have had users ask about why their R4E or UD7 or UD3 or P9P is throttling, and i tell them to put a fan over the VRM and it wont throttle, and it doesn't.

FYI fan blowing in that video is required for Ln2 OCing, not to cool anything but rather keep air moving so it doesn't condense as fast and turn into water droplets.

System Name Daily Driver
Processor 7900X 4.5GHz 10c/10t 1.15V.
Motherboard ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
Cooling MCR320 + Kuplos Kryos NEXT CPU block
Memory GSkill Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW3
Storage 512GB Patriot Hellfire, 512GB OCZ RD400, 640GB Caviar Black, 2TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Yamakasi 27" 2560x1440 IPS
Case Thermaltake P5
Power Supply EVGA 750W Supernova G2
Benchmark Scores Faster than most of you! Bet on it! :)

It would be great if GB released a hybrid WC/air heatsink like they had a little way back, might just be what is needed.
I'm not really impressed. The VRM has been popping on people with water cooling with rather tame overclocks. I'm not surprised that the board survived when it has an LN2 pot on it, which cools the entire board around the socket, including the VRM, and he has a fan blowing right on the VRM.

But mainly, this doesn't address the throttling issue, it just kind of sidesteps it. Yes, he got records for clock speed and SuperPi, but was the CPU still throttling? What happens with all the cores enabled? Does the CPU throttle itself to the point that the overclock settings you set in the BIOS are pointless? That is what people are concerned about. It isn't about being able to set the settings in the BIOS and have them kind of work in Windows with 4 cores disabled long enough for a SuperPi run to finish, it is about achieving 24/7 clocks that aren't just numbers on the screen that aren't accurate because the board is throttling the CPU in the background under load.

And using LN2 is easy for people with cases?

Pretty much all the records are set by disabling as many cores as possible, standard practice for a world record run.
I keep forgetting where I lay my head... people here just dont get it with extreme overclocking and benchmarking (and thats ok). +1 to you for answering those that arent privy to the world of extreme overclocking. :toast:

lol its ok, I mean people have to open their eyes some time right? A trip to HWbot might enlighten some people lol.

I mean I do understand where they are coming from. I mean if you goto OCN it is the same 90% are practical and 10% are extreme, for them it isn't an OC unless it is on all cores and all threads and prime95 or IBT stable, but that stability has to run for days, and they want to check your temps too just be sure. lol. Sometimes it is so different how different overclockers are, and what they deem to actually be an overclock. Of course then you can goto the benching sections and cooling sections of the same forum and 90% will be privy benchers and 10% will be those who want to learn. Personally I didn't really care for the extreme stuff, I mean yea i had a phase change until years back, but when i started doing LN2 that is when the real fun starts, you get a sense of satisfaction that someone who hasn't done it doesn't understand. You also begin to realize how much more this sport has to offer. Then you gotta learn OS optimization and software tweaks, and then you gotta learn what benchmarks like what OS and what hardware levels. Highest clock isn't always best, and that is hard to understand for many, someone with 100mhz less could kick your ass easily if you don't know what you are doing. Don't forget it isn't easy to control a CPU with a Cold Bug and a Cold boot bug, you have to pour so easily, you have to use different pots for different CPUs. You also gotta learn the secrets, like what thermal paste really works best, and it isn't artic ceramique.

After you have lost a few CPUs, and you don't know why, you thought it might have been voltage or it might have been the board, then you learn oh you aren't supposed to screw down the pot that hard. Then you are like damn i just messed up a lot of money, but you come out a bit smarter. Of course you had some fun too.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
System Name Gamer
Processor Intel i7-6700K (ES)
Motherboard MSI Aegis TI
Cooling Custom Dragon Cooler
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2133 MHz C13
Video Card(s) 2x MSI GAMING GTX 980
Storage 2x Intel 600P
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case MSI Aegis Ti
Mouse MSI Interceptor DS B1
Keyboard MSI DS4200 GAMING Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Benching the GA-X79-UD5 with F7 right NAOW!!!! ;)

Even for those not extreme, seems pretty good. Getting baseline benches, seems faster than F4.:eek:

Gonna be OC testing soon.

Very few "extreme" clockers here. Personally, it's a lot of work, and I got a decent amount of respect for the guys that do it. But in the end, I'll leave that to them. I don't have hardware to burn at all. IF I did...:roll:

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Cooling water
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
why would it throttle? Throttling occurs on every board at a certain point, UD3 and R4E included, loko at the forums. I have had users ask about why their R4E or UD7 or UD3 or P9P is throttling, and i tell them to put a fan over the VRM and it wont throttle, and it doesn't.

FYI fan blowing in that video is required for Ln2 OCing, not to cool anything but rather keep air moving so it doesn't condense as fast and turn into water droplets.
lol its ok, I mean people have to open their eyes some time right? A trip to HWbot might enlighten some people lol.

I mean I do understand where they are coming from. I mean if you goto OCN it is the same 90% are practical and 10% are extreme, for them it isn't an OC unless it is on all cores and all threads and prime95 or IBT stable, but that stability has to run for days, and they want to check your temps too just be sure. lol. Sometimes it is so different how different overclockers are, and what they deem to actually be an overclock. Of course then you can goto the benching sections and cooling sections of the same forum and 90% will be privy benchers and 10% will be those who want to learn. Personally I didn't really care for the extreme stuff, I mean yea i had a phase change until years back, but when i started doing LN2 that is when the real fun starts, you get a sense of satisfaction that someone who hasn't done it doesn't understand. You also begin to realize how much more this sport has to offer. Then you gotta learn OS optimization and software tweaks, and then you gotta learn what benchmarks like what OS and what hardware levels. Highest clock isn't always best, and that is hard to understand for many, someone with 100mhz less could kick your ass easily if you don't know what you are doing. Don't forget it isn't easy to control a CPU with a Cold Bug and a Cold boot bug, you have to pour so easily, you have to use different pots for different CPUs. You also gotta learn the secrets, like what thermal paste really works best, and it isn't artic ceramique.

After you have lost a few CPUs, and you don't know why, you thought it might have been voltage or it might have been the board, then you learn oh you aren't supposed to screw down the pot that hard. Then you are like damn i just messed up a lot of money, but you come out a bit smarter. Of course you had some fun too.
Hey thanks for the info on the LN run, I agree that I was off the mark about the fan.

I think you are off the mark by implying our complaints about this being a poor demonstration of a 'fix' are misinformed. A quick read over the source shows that it was Gigabyte who provided this info to Toms Hardware in response to the VRM troubles, so why would we not be critical that the 'proof' is not sufficient? What does a LN run prove to us?

Processor Xeon E5 1650 V4
Motherboard MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Cooling HYPER 212 EVO
Memory 64gb DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) XFX RADEON RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung PM951 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) LG 34" Ultrawide + AOC 27"
Power Supply EVGA 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Dell SK-8135
+1 to those who noticed, 4 cores disabled with hyperthreading turned off is o big whoop, you are supposed to be testing the cpu power delivery and delivering 1/3 of the power is no big whoop

cadaveca

My name is Dave
System Name Gamer
Processor Intel i7-6700K (ES)
Motherboard MSI Aegis TI
Cooling Custom Dragon Cooler
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2133 MHz C13
Video Card(s) 2x MSI GAMING GTX 980
Storage 2x Intel 600P
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case MSI Aegis Ti
Mouse MSI Interceptor DS B1
Keyboard MSI DS4200 GAMING Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
+1 to those who noticed, 4 cores disabled with hyperthreading turned off is o big whoop, you are supposed to be testing the cpu power delivery and delivering 1/3 of the power is no big whoop
Well, I tested this new BIOS. Power consumption on my board via the 8-pin has gone UP nearly 20%, and my CPU clocks 100 MHz higher than it did before.

So, this BIOS made the board consume MORE power...kinda contrary to the idea there are issues with the VRM, isn't it?

System Name bits and pieces
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
Motherboard Gigabyte H97
Cooling stock
Memory 16GB for now
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage 256GB SSD + 3x 2TB WDs (storage)
Display(s) 2x BENQ GW2250 + ViewSonic 24"
Case Cooler Master Centurion 5 :P
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD --- JBL 4412 Studio Monitors / Polk PSW505
Power Supply Antec 550W
Mouse Corsair M65 pro
Keyboard MS Sidewinder
Software Win 10 Pro x64
idc what people say. I like mah Gigabytes

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Cooling water
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
idc what people say. I like mah Gigabytes
So do I. I'm a bit disapponted in the x79 release though. The UD7 is too big to fit in my case :shadedshu so I'm lookng at a UD5. To be honest, I'm also considering an ASUS RIVE, because of good reviews and waterblock availability (and it fits in my case).

Waiting on a couple more things, a) Cadaveca's review and b) the new stepping chips in February. Then I'll decide.