• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Z170-MX vs Z270-MX Gaming 5

JackRiv

Hello, I'm new to this forum so nice to meet you all.

I'm building a CustoMac mATX based on the recommended buyer's guide here. However, I made a mistake and bought the Z170-MX Gaming 5 rather than the newer Z270-MX version.

I was wondering if I should bother trying to return the MOBO that I bought and get the newer one or it doesn't matter much in terms of performance? I spent quite a bit of $$ so I don't want to feel like I'm building something that is already old.

Also, I tried to boot the machine yesterday but the MOBO shuts down after a few seconds and it then restarts. This loop doesn't stop unless I switch off the PSU.

I'm not sure if this issue is due to the fact that the Z170MX is not compatible with the i7 CPU out-of-the-box unless I update the BIOS. However, without starting the machine I'm not even able to check what version of the BIOS I have.

So far I've attempted to start the machine with one slot of RAM only without any SATA and video card connected but the issue is still there.

Can anyone kindly help me to figure out if it's worth replacing the motherboard with the newer one and, if not, what's the best way to access/update the BIOS.

Thanks ;)

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
I have a Z270N-Gaming 5, any experience with it? Got it cheap thinking of keeping it.

JackRiv

Performance wise, no. Not worth it.

The z170 version needs f20 bios on it to work with kaby lake i7 7700k

Thanks for your reply @EarthDog.
I decided to return the Z170MX but the Z270MX seems sold out everywhere so I'm thinking to go with the Asus Rog Strix Z270G instead. Any suggestion in regards?