• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155

NHKS

enjoyed reading another MB review, as always.. board looks high quality & sophisticated,
the heat sink design looks good.. board power consumption looks good.. but the performance(cpu & data transfer) are so so..

just wanted to clarify about the SATA ports, quite a few on this board..
Marvell: 1x e-SATA III + 1x SATA III
Intel : 2x SATA III
4x SATA II with 1x mSATA shared
that means the mSATA 3Gbps controlled by Intel chipset?

I am guessing this is the first Thunderbolt board TPU has reviewed.. do we plan to benchmark it(against USB 3 or other TB boards)?

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
The review mentions at least twice that there is a FireWire port on the back panel, yet I fail to see it. Could you clarify where it is, Dave?

System Name 2600k
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 760 OC
Storage 120GB Agility 3/2TB WD Caviar Black x 2/Intel 311 (Cache Drive)
Display(s) Dell S2340M
Case Lian Li PC-8FIR (Silver)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W
Software Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
Benchmark Scores Logitech G500 | Razer Lycosa Mirror | Logitech Z-5300
I'm more interested in the mPCIe to PCIe WiFi card. I've been tempted to buy something similar on Amazon but thought they looked like junk. Intel makes the best mPCIe WiFi cards on the market and I wanted to see if it would help with a PC I have connectivity issues with. I ended up passing but now I see that Gigabyte is using the design so it can't be all bad.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
The review mentions at least twice that there is a FireWire port on the back panel, yet I fail to see it. Could you clarify where it is, Dave?

My understanding is that there is a internal connector for firewire. Not an actual port in the rear IO panel.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

In my imagination. Fixed. There is a header on the board edge though. I swear a saw one...but alas, it's USB. :p

enjoyed reading another MB review, as always.. board looks high quality & sophisticated,
the heat sink design looks good.. board power consumption looks good.. but the performance(cpu & data transfer) are so so..

just wanted to clarify about the SATA ports, quite a few on this board..
Marvell: 1x e-SATA III + 1x SATA III
Intel : 2x SATA III
4x SATA II with 1x mSATA shared
that means the mSATA 3Gbps controlled by Intel chipset?

I am guessing this is the first Thunderbolt board TPU has reviewed.. do we plan to benchmark it(against USB 3 or other TB boards)?

Yes, you'll find that all mSATA ports on boards that offer them are rrun by the Intel PCH, so Rapid Response and such can be used.

The cheapest Thunderbolt dock is just under $200, and drives are 2.5 times that. Since it needs to be measured, I will get Tunderbolt devices, but I need more board samples with Thunderbolt first.

As to overall performance, it's reasonable now. Not the best, but OK. the best result in my graphs are from X79 or boards that use modified Turbo profiles by default. The Z77X-UP5 TH has some Turbo issues, that need to be rectified with a BIOS update, and then performance should go up.

I'm more interested in the mPCIe to PCIe WiFi card. I've been tempted to buy something similar on Amazon but thought they looked like junk. Intel makes the best mPCIe WiFi cards on the market and I wanted to see if it would help with a PC I have connectivity issues with. I ended up passing but now I see that Gigabyte is using the design so it can't be all bad.

The design itself is really simple, and nearly all board makers with WiFi/Bluetooth are using very similar implementations. There are a few different WiFi/Bluetooth cards out there that they can choose from, however.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Great review as always, seems the CPU is still treating you well ;)

I see the big red sticker regarding the "4x" PCIe slot requiring an Ivy Bridge CPU... what's up with that?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Great review and love actually reading the reviews by you and the other reviewer's from TPU.

I must say though thats one hell of a cpu clock you have at such a low voltage :respect:

What stability program you use for the cpu?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Great review as always, seems the CPU is still treating you well ;)

I see the big red sticker regarding the "4x" PCIe slot requiring an Ivy Bridge CPU... what's up with that?

That PCIe slot connects directly to CPU, and SandyBridge can only address 2 devices, not three like IvyBridge. P67/Z68 boards that offer more than two slots either use some form of PLX muxer, or run the third slot via the chipset.

Because the slot connects to CPU, it's PCIe 3.0 compatible. The Z77 chipset can opnly provide PCIe 2.0.

Great review and love actually reading the reviews by you and the other reviewer's from TPU.

I must say though thats one hell of a cpu clock you have at such a low voltage :respect:

What stability program you use for the cpu?

Everything. :p

Actually, I use Prime95 for 24 hours. I know what the CPU needs to do it, which, like you say, ain't much.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I have not looked at a motherboard review in awhile. Not since I got my current motherboard. This makes me want a new one though. Not that it would do me much better though.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
That PCIe slot connects directly to CPU, and SandyBridge can only address 2 devices, not three like IvyBridge. P67/Z68 boards that offer more than two slots either use some form of PLX muxer, or run the third slot via the chipset.

Because the slot connects to CPU, it's PCIe 3.0 compatible. The Z77 chipset can opnly provide PCIe 2.0.

Everything. :p

Actually, I use Prime95 for 24 hours. I know what the CPU needs to do it, which, like you say, ain't much.
OCCT? Prime you dont think it stresses out the vrm's to much?

What temp is the cpu and Vrm's running after 24 hr test?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

dude OCCT is old news man. Prime95 blend test seems to be the best for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge stress testing.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

you bet it does. But then again, so does many distributed computing apps.

I mean really, MSI is touting this as their new "standard" for board testing for those OC boards, but I do that to every board I review, and I have yet to have one fail...even the cheapo ones.

And wouldn't you like to know if it did? ;)

Now, if a board has no vrm cooling, then sure, I might worry a bit, but not much, to be honest. Nearly 2 years of board reviews, and many years before that OC'ing, and VRM death has not been something I've ever encountered.

I punish my review samples, for sure.

CPU hits 70c on H100, 82c on NH-C14. VRM temps vary from board to board, And I don't do much more than a "finger test" :p

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
very nice review from TPU for this board, afaik gigabyte and asus always deliver very excellent quality board components, i wish in the future there will be a review for asus rog z-77 motherboard (Maximus V Gene/Formula/Extreem) or maybe the next release of asus rog crosshair v formula-Z.

thanks

cadaveca

My name is Dave
very nice review from TPU for this board, afaik gigabyte and asus always deliver very excellent quality board components, i wish in the future there will be a review for asus rog z-77 motherboard (Maximus V Gene/Formula/Extreem) or maybe the next release of asus rog crosshair v formula-Z.

thanks

Maximus V Formula this coming week.;)

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
dude OCCT is old news man. Prime95 blend test seems to be the best for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge stress testing.
News flash OCCT has been revised lol.

Its current, and blends tests for sure.

Thanks Dave.. Busy guy I see. Have fun and looking forward to seeing the Formula V tests :toast:

micek_kc

From your opinion,would you choose this board or the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WiFi ?
This may sound silly,i love everything about the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WiFi,but the colors of the heatspreaders make it so difficult to put in the case which is all black themed and that has a window(Corsair Obisdian 800d).
Is the new board really that much worse than the Wifi one,or its just a matter of fixing the problems of Bios?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
From your opinion,would you choose this board or the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WiFi ?
This may sound silly,i love everything about the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WiFi,but the colors of the heatspreaders make it so difficult to put in the case which is all black themed and that has a window(Corsair Obisdian 800d).
Is the new board really that much worse than the Wifi one,or its just a matter of fixing the problems of Bios?

There's nothing really wrong with UP5 TH. I'd use it, but 3820 or 3960X is what I got to use myself. If you like the colour, go for it.

micek_kc

There's nothing really wrong with UP5 TH. I'd use it, but 3820 or 3960X is what I got to use myself. If you like the colour, go for it.
It is probably gonna make home for a 3770K. I mean i was sceptical cause you awarded the wifi version an near perfect score,really didnt find nothing bad there,and this bios issue here seem troublesome to me :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
and this bios issue here seem troublesome to me

Ah, BIOS problems. You know, that's par for the course when a board is freshly released, and I do push things pretty far when it comes to stability testing.

The UD5H, when I tested it, was much more mature, and at the same time, was a big step up from P67 and Z68-based products, expecially considering that was when Gigabyte launched into UEFI BIOSes for SKT 1155. What a great product for Gigabyte that is!

Since then, my expectation out of all the OEMs is a bit higher, and a fair bit different. For an enthusiast class product, the UD5H does score better in benchmarks overall compared to the UP5 TH, as the UP5TH did have a bit of a performance deficit.

Now, I must be honest. Performance compares, with results as close as my reviews are, are almost silly. At the bleeding edge, yes the UD5H is faster, so it scored higher, and that is all. Gigabyte's BIOS engineer merely needs to tighten up the Turbo profile a wee bit, and the UP5 TH will match the UD5H...but there's nothing WRONG with the UP5 TH. The BIOS is the issues because that's what needs to be changed to make it perform like the UD5H, not because it's unstable or anything.

micek_kc

Ah, BIOS problems. You know, that's par for the course when a board is freshly released, and I do push things pretty far when it comes to stability testing.

The UD5H, when I tested it, was much more mature, and at the same time, was a big step up from P67 and Z68-based products, expecially considering that was when Gigabyte launched into UEFI BIOSes for SKT 1155. What a great product for Gigabyte that is!

Since then, my expectation out of all the OEMs is a bit higher, and a fair bit different. For an enthusiast class product, the UD5H does score better in benchmarks overall compared to the UP5 TH, as the UP5TH did have a bit of a performance deficit.

Now, I must be honest. Performance compares, with results as close as my reviews are, are almost silly. At the bleeding edge, yes the UD5H is faster, so it scored higher, and that is all. Gigabyte's BIOS engineer merely needs to tighten up the Turbo profile a wee bit, and the UP5 TH will match the UD5H...but there's nothing WRONG with the UP5 TH. The BIOS is the issues because that's what needs to be changed to make it perform like the UD5H, not because it's unstable or anything.

Thanks alot for detailed explination... With this considered,i think im gonna wait a bit more until Gigabyte puts out a decent bios and than im gonna get it. Keep on the good work :toast:

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
...not like you don't have anything else to do...:rolleyes:
It would be nice to see an update on the Turbo issue.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
...not like you don't have anything else to do...:rolleyes:
It would be nice to see an update on the Turbo issue.

I do have plans to revisit this product, since it includes Thunderbolt, which offers much more now, like 4K rendering.

I have to do some "meeting of the minds" with Gigabyte to arrange the other parts I need for that, but rest assured this is one board that won't leave me house any time soon. ;)

However, I also have many products here to review, and have been having issues with some dying hardware and have nearly replaced my entire test rig at this point, so I do have a slight backlog of reviews to finish first. The Haswell launch "delay" works well for me. :p

Besides, the Turbo profile was relaxed a bit compared to the hardcore OC boards, but not non-functional..just a wee bit slower.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
I'm also curious about how the BIOS updates affect the performance of a (not just this) motherboard. IIRC, they are on the beta release of F11 and you tested this board at F4.