1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Global Warming going to get us?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by SK-1, May 7, 2008.

1. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    The french are very liberal. They are the most liberal, in the entire continent.

So thank liberalism for that. :laugh:

Environmentalists have been fighting the use of coal since the early industrial age in the UK. Remember literature that came out around that time talking about black rain.

They were originally afraid of a Chernobyl like event would take place during the early developemental stages of nuclear power. That was back before the modern failsafes that are found in todays nuclear power plants. So yes, early on nuclear power wasn't as advanced or safe as it is today thanks to technology progressing. Alot of technology has come out since 1970.:laugh:

You also must not understand what drilling for oil does to the environment. If you are using well water in the area it suddenly has tasty crude oil in it.:shadedshu

Also drilling for oil on the continental shelf destroys the entire local ecosystem with crude oil which poisons all plant life and animal life.:(

I don't pull my scientific information from hollywood movies. Liberals like myself know alot about ecology from these cool things called books and scientific journals.:cool:

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Man you people go wayyyy off topic. This is not an issue of whose liberal and whose republican. Global warming or 'climate change' is not an AMERICAN issue its a WORLD issue. Of course the USA is pretty much the only developed nation NOT to accept the global warming theory. Now as a quick science lesson do you guys actually know what a scientific THEORY is. The way most of you throw around the word shows a huge lack of understanding the scientific process.

In a nutshell a theory is a collaboration of a series of FACTS. The theory only EXPLAINS what the facts seem to point to. Evolution(please don't discuss this it's just an example) for example is a THEORY due to the FACTs of what evidence is presented. ie fossil records, changes in genetics based on natural selection etc etc. Like wise the periodic table is a THEORY based on the FACTs of the various elements we can create and observe.

So when it comes to the THEORY of global warming its explaining the FACT that the earth is warming. As for how its warming theres the THEORY of man made global warming. The FACT that the earth is warming is not in scientific debate. The only thing that is in debate is HOW the earth is warming.

For the most part all of the developed nations are not arguing that global warming is a man-made issue its just debated how MUCH of it is man made. If you actually fact check a lot of the groups which are against man made global warming you will quickly find out a pattern. The makers of the great global warming swindle for example can be traced back to exxon mobil. The same media company responsible for that 'documentary' is also the one from the 70's who created the videos for the tobacco industry on how smoking doesn't cause cancer.

I would go into more depth on the subject but i know no ones minds are actually going to be changed on the matter but all i will ask is that America joins the rest of the world and atleast accepts that we play some part of this warming process. Everyone however is equally guilty for the abysmal conditions we're having on the environment and lack of actual progress being made towards green energy.

DaedalusHelios and farlex85 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I made points similar to these (or at least tried to), however you did it in a much clearer fashion.

4. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    You noted this, but then someone says, "But 'the rich' are bad!" and then everyone runs with that. People can argue if the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, if all rich people are evil, etc, but if people are going to argue that tax cuts only help the rich, then they should stay on topic.

EVERYONE got a tax cut with those cuts. "But, the rich got a bigger cut!" People can argue that one both ways too if they like, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that not "only" rich people got a cut. Drug users aside, those low-end cuts also affect a whole lot of students who aren't working full-time. Or how about stay-at-home moms (or dads) who also work part-time? They got a tax cut, too. Either all of these people who got a tax cut are secretly rich, or people who say those tax cuts only help the rich are at the least misinformed or at the worst blatantly lying.

An amsuing part of cuts like that are when people who make less than the minimum say no fair really poor people didn't get a cut. They didn't get a cut because they already don't pay any (income) taxes. Thanks to things like the EIC, they get paid to be poor and paid to have kids, actually.

I'm trying to remember when a Democrat ever championed for lowering everyone's taxes.

5. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just because there is a consensus in the world community doesn't mean that there is fact in global warming. If there was a 4 degree temperature increase in the past 200 years, I would be more inclined to believe it. The 1 degree F increase in temperatures that we saw (which was cancelled out by the 1 degree drop in temperatures last year) isn't enough to convince me or the majority of the American population that global warming is a fact. So far there has been selective picking of data (an inconvenient truth). Global cooling can be argued by selecting other just as valid data (some glaciers are getting much thicker). There is no reason to damage the American economy at the moment... :shadedshu

6. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A global rise in temperature by 1 degree F is a huge move. That is not the case, it is somewhat less than that. If the global temperature rose or fell that much in a year, we would see much more significant climate changes, catastrophe level changes.

The actual change was about .75 degrees F over about 100 years. Double check your facts before making an argument like that. :shadedshu

Last edited: May 9, 2008
    DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  7. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    what has tax to do with global warming?

8. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Economics are an inevitable issue when discussing what we as humans should do to lower gas emmissions. Got a little far off topic due to some blatently ignorant and insulting comments......

DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  9. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    There has been a .75 degree F increase over the past 100 years but a .6 degree drop over the last year.

10. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I choose not add any opinion about global warming other than it's definitely positive to see such passion about the issue on this thread. Whether you all agree with each other or not, at least you are displaying your awareness. This is not about who's right or wrong, please don't take it there guys, you're all too intelligent for that.

11. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why the earth is becoming a big round screwup, because everyone thinks nothing is going to go terribly wrong in their lifetimes. Not a bad idea if one vows not to have kids ever.

oh wait...you weren't talking about global warming/pollution/<insert gorespeek here> :eek: my bad.

but yeah, most people aren't 'eco-friendly' because they think nothing is.........(read above).

12. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No it didn't. Perhaps you are referring to a particular area, like a state, or possibly the land on the US, but I assure you a .6 degree drop did not happen in one year. .06 maybe.

Also, although you can argue all day that particular glaciers are getting thicker, overall glacial ice in the world has been dramatically decreasing, and it still is.

13. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's some good reading..<Facts>

farlex85 says thanks.
  14. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The #1 cause of global warming is from people overclocking their computer hardware. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

15. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a good read, interesting stuff. And its true, when one looks over a planetary timeline, it would be virtually impossible to make an assumption that the last 20 years have been out of the ordinary. Still, in my view, "greenhouse" gases have other negative effects besides global warming, and it is possible they are indeed causing global warming. The doomsday predictions can take it to the extreme, but conservation is still critical.

16. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Watch this, this guy brings up a Very Very Very Very Good point. Turst me. Just watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ&feature=related

He brings up a very simple solution by introducing a simple argument that I think no logical person can disagree with and if you find something wrong with it. Let both me and him know.

17. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I've seen that before. Good philosophy argument break down. That was exactly my point above. Although he lays it out much better of course. :)

18. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The ocean produces way more greenhouse gas than we do with our machines.

19. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you referring to water vapor? That argument is brought up in the comments from that video aphex posted. However, the maker of that video points out that water vapor has been part of the equation of global climate for quite some time, while the massive amounts of CO2 put into the air by humans has not.

AphexDreamer says thanks.
  20. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The gentleman in the video makes some valid points, but he does not cover the real worst-case scenario.
    What if we pour trillions of dollars into efforts to reduce climate change and the potential global warming catastophe happens anyway?
    Then you would have a global catastrophic event, and destitute economies.

If we take a "wait and see" attitude, at least the countries who are ecomonically stable can assist in mitigating the effects of the climate change for others.

21. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    so how do you guys think to stop globale warming?
    i would say stop using fosilefuel and start using nuclear fusion power

22. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good point. I can't speak for how he would argue that, you seem to have made a good argument against his grid. However, should a global climate catastrophe happen, the world economy will be down the drain regardless. At least for a little while. Really though, extremes are rarely the way to go. I would say it would be fairly blind to put all your eggs in one basket, and economic spending should not be all out balls to the walls lets stop the heat.

However, awareness and a determined effort to shift the economy itself towards favoring ecologically friendly practices is a very good idea imo. It will not destroy the economy to make "green" shifts, it will simply require change.

23. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    have you guys hever heard of Geothermal power plants

24. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    i was thinkign why is there no animater powerplant?
    i know we can make it but the say it cost allot, but why? is it the Electrisity ? is it the people we need to pay to maintain it?