• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gonna paint my Cosmos S, need some advice!

Processor Intel Core i5 750
Motherboard Maximus III Formula P55
Cooling Ultima 90i
Memory 4GB Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) PNY GTX465 @ GTX470 w/ 1280MB vRAM
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB + 2x1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) Samsung 245B
Case Black Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply Antec NeoHE 550W
Software 7 Ultimate 64bit, OSX
Hi everyone,
I bought a Cosmos S a while ago and have got some spare time atm so have decided to spray it black. I've never painted a case before so I need a bit of general advice! I have stripped the case down to the bare aluminium chassis so far, I am hoping I dont have to actually take the case apart by drilling rivets etc? I know I need a primer and some spray paint, do I have to sand the whole thing? It would be pretty hard to sand in all the corners and tight spaces... Could I just use self-etching primer and skip out the sanding? Also I'm assuming I dont have to sand the primer once it's dried, I can just spray the paint on? How many layers of paint should I do?
Thanks for the help!

EnglishLion

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
Cooling Akasa EVO 120
Memory 2 x 1Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1066Mhz 6,6,6,18
Video Card(s) GeCube ATi X1950Pro 512Mb PCIe (Accelro X2)
Storage Samsung 320Gb SATA2
Display(s) Samsung SM206BW 20" Widescreen TFT 1680x1050
Case Coolermaster Centurion 532
Audio Device(s) On board AC'97
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580W
Software Windows Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores See my OC Blog @ http://www.rowan-house.net/
It all depends on how much work you want and what level of finish you want. For the best finish you want to be certain that the metal is completely clean and dust free and sanding will help the primer go on properly.

Then between layers of paint you will improve the final finish by again sanding but make sure it's a very fine level of grit (1000+). This grit will not be available in a hardware store (eg B&Q), you will need to go to a car parts/accessories shop (eg Halfords) and it will be stocked amongst the paints!

Processor Intel Core i5 750
Motherboard Maximus III Formula P55
Cooling Ultima 90i
Memory 4GB Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) PNY GTX465 @ GTX470 w/ 1280MB vRAM
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB + 2x1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) Samsung 245B
Case Black Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply Antec NeoHE 550W
Software 7 Ultimate 64bit, OSX
It all depends on how much work you want and what level of finish you want. For the best finish you want to be certain that the metal is completely clean and dust free and sanding will help the primer go on properly.

Then between layers of paint you will improve the final finish by again sanding but make sure it's a very fine level of grit (1000+). This grit will not be available in a hardware store (eg B&Q), you will need to go to a car parts/accessories shop (eg Halfords) and it will be stocked amongst the paints!

Thanks for that, appreciated! Funnily enough I actually found 1200 grit wet&dry at B&Q a while ago when I lapped my cooler, didn't think to check Halfords...
My local hardware store sells aluminium primer but it's in a tin and I'd prefer a spray can (easier to get an even coat), do Halfords sell any good primer/paint? Do you know any good paint brands that are available in the UK?

EnglishLion

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
Cooling Akasa EVO 120
Memory 2 x 1Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1066Mhz 6,6,6,18
Video Card(s) GeCube ATi X1950Pro 512Mb PCIe (Accelro X2)
Storage Samsung 320Gb SATA2
Display(s) Samsung SM206BW 20" Widescreen TFT 1680x1050
Case Coolermaster Centurion 532
Audio Device(s) On board AC'97
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580W
Software Windows Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores See my OC Blog @ http://www.rowan-house.net/
Thanks for that, appreciated! Funnily enough I actually found 1200 grit wet&dry at B&Q a while ago when I lapped my cooler, didn't think to check Halfords...
Wow, when I looked B&Q could only offer 600 at the top and Homebase were the same!

My local hardware store sells aluminium primer but it's in a tin and I'd prefer a spray can (easier to get an even coat), do Halfords sell any good primer/paint? Do you know any good paint brands that are available in the UK?
What we do mimics in many ways what the car enthusiasts do...

Overclocking = Engine Tuning
Benchmarking = Racing
Lots of products available for modding on both sides (many featuring LEDs)
Paint to a high gloss, well polished finish.

If you need paints, primers, sand papers even polish - a car place is a good start!