• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good bye fglrx, Hello AMDGPU-PRO!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
When you go to AMD's site to download Linux drivers, it now offers AMDGPU-Pro and claims to be supported on more than just GCN 1.2 cards. Since Windows kicked the bucket on itself duing an upgrade, Linux has found a place on my SSDs instead since my Ubuntu 15.10 install (upgraded from 14.04,) was suffering pretty badly as well.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver–Release-Notes.aspx
With that said, the driver has been installed. I'll be back after a restart. :toast:

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage SSD: Team 512GB NVMe + Team 2TB SATA || HDD: 2x WD VRaptor 500GB & 2x WD Blue 4TB
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
can't wait to hear the result

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Since Windows kicked the bucket on itself duing an upgrade, Linux has found a place on my SSDs instead
I'll bet you really miss product activation. :p

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage SSD: Team 512GB NVMe + Team 2TB SATA || HDD: 2x WD VRaptor 500GB & 2x WD Blue 4TB
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
The 390 didn't take too kindly to it. Sounds like there are some bugs floating around.

well, that's a bummer

i'll give it a try on my fury this weekend

I'll bet you really miss product activation. :p

Product activation? Since Windows 8.1 (or was it 8.0 already?) you just re-install Windows, activation is done by itself with license pulled from Microsoft servers, you don't have to fiddle with keys at all anymore. Admittedly, one of best things Microsoft did with their OS in recent years. It's just so convenient, especially for OEM systems stuffed with garbage software. You can just install Windows clean and it'll activate itself automatically. Before this, you had to fiddle with keys and have the right image and it always refused to work when you needed to do that the most.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Product activation? Since Windows 8.1 (or was it 8.0 already?) you just re-install Windows, activation is done by itself with license pulled from Microsoft servers, you don't have to fiddle with keys at all anymore. Admittedly, one of best things Microsoft did with their OS in recent years. It's just so convenient, especially for OEM systems stuffed with garbage software. You can just install Windows clean and it'll activate itself automatically. Before this, you had to fiddle with keys and have the right image and it always refused to work when you needed to do that the most.
The point is it exists rather than how "convenient" it is. Linux doesn't have it which is great.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
It appears that there is a conflict between the 4.4 Linux Kernel and AMDGPU-PRO however, it do believe that run-of-the-mill AMDGPU alone is actually running on my machine. My only complaint is that there is an issue with how Linux handles DPM for the 390 which will cause the screen to go blank shortly after startup, where adding "radeon.dpm=0" to the kernel boot string seems to have resolved that issue.

Either way, I don't really game as much as I used to so, I'm in no rush. It works and it works smoothly for what I'm using it for.
The point is it exists rather than how "convenient" it is. Linux doesn't have it which is great.
At least Linux asks me when I want to install updates and will only do security patches automatically if I tell it to. :)
And that's really the one and only good thing about Linux.
I would dev on Linux over Windows or OS X any day. If I'm thinking only about gaming, it's not a very good option but, I'm not. Considering games like DOOM eat up almost 50GB by itself, I'm thinking that I'll re-install Windows when I have a bigger SSD for it because 200GB simply isn't enough. It's more than enough for Linux though. :)

Edit: Nope, AMDGPU is installed but, it's still using the Radeon driver. I guess support is disabled in the Kernel due to flaky support for cards prior to GCN 1.2. The flag can be removed but, requires recompiling the kernel. Maybe if I find the willpower to do it, I'll try later today.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
At least Linux asks me when I want to install updates and will only do security patches automatically if I tell it to. :)
Yeah, quite. I hate the way control has been wrested from us in Windows 10. :shadedshu:

Windows Update MiniTool. You can turn it into Win8.x fully manual updating with extended controls for many other things. Windows is also superior when it comes to apps, not just games. Everything in Linux is so damn clumsy and hard to install or configure it's absolutely crazy. I can fiddle with Windows as well, but it's just so much more convenient to use than Linux in every possibel aspect...

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Everything in Linux is so damn clumsy and hard to install or configure it's absolutely crazy.
When you're not given a padded room, everything will seem "clumsy or hard" until you know how to do it correctly. I'll concede that recovering from a driver issue can be brutal though but, usually the only driver I ever have to think about in Linux is the GPU. At least the RAID driver OOTB in Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 could actually drive my RAIDs at full speed unlike the default Windows one. If managing software in Windows is so easy, why isn't there an equivalent to "sudo apt install gsmartcontrol"? That's pretty damn easy. Heck, they've even replaced the old visual package interface with the "Software" application which is pretty easy to use, even for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Is there a learning curve? Of course but, when you use something often, you get used to it and it becomes not so hard to use.

Also, don't get me started on dev tools. You'll have to pry the terminal from my cold, dead, hands before I'll give it up and replace it with GUI IDE.

WHY U USE CONSOLE IN 2016! I literally get extreme allergic reaction when solution to every damn thing in Linux is "go to terminal and...". Just NO. Sure Windows can do that as well and makes it a shortcut, but the basis are user friendly GUI driven apps and installers, be it for apps or drivers. Where in Linux, oh my god, if you don't get the stuff from its internal repository, don't even bother unless you're an absolute expert in the damn thing.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
WHY U USE CONSOLE IN 2016! I literally get extreme allergic reaction when solution to every damn thing in Linux is "go to terminal and...". Just NO. Sure Windows can do that as well and makes it a shortcut, but the basis are user friendly GUI driven apps and installers, be it for apps or drivers. Where in Linux, oh my god, if you don't get the stuff from its internal repository, don't even bother unless you're an absolute expert in the damn thing.
...because I work in a terminal for my day job and have for a decade because most of what I do is either in a browser or on a linux cloud server... but please, keep shit talking stuff you don't understand because you don't use it every day. You care about games and stuff being easy, I care about my job and my career.

Take your holier than thou attitude and get out of here if you're going to behave like my 4 year old daughter.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
My mom is able to use Ubuntu w/o terminal, no issues. It really has come a long ways in the scheme of things and is east to use, install software on and even manage from GUI. So I find some of the ignorant comments above laughable at best.

If you want to do advanced actions and management, terminal or bust...no different from needing power shell in a Windows environment. Powershell is more of a pain than terminal, and while is slowly improving has a ways to go. But if you wanna get shit done right and efficiently in Linux...terminal is the way...hell in Windows CLI and Powershell are the same...you have more finite control over your OS. Not understanding sysadmin abilities doesn't make CLI and terminal useless...but it does make those that verbally hate it like above appear extremely ignorant

Hell even MS implemented terminal and Bash in Windows 10 in 2016. @RejZoR please go bash something you know more about. You've added nothing of use here.

Processor I7-6700
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling 2*120mm
Memory G.Skill D416GB 3200-14 Trident Z K2 GSK
Video Card(s) Rx480 Sapphire
Storage SSD Samsung 256GB 850 pro + bunch of TB
Case Antec
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply be quit 900W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G11
I see that the more easy things become to use, the less you understand about it.
Using computers have become easy, so why learn anything about it?

Even the darn BIOS is GUI.

Yes, it is more user friendly, and that is a good thing.
But the reverse is that CLI is just becoming obsolete except if you need it in a work environment.

So, the guy has a point.

Tell me(I am too lazy); how is the LINUX market share doing these days? kernel-type excluded(ofcourse, android)
Are numbers of heavy CLI based OS´s increasing?
Doubt it.

So it is disappearing and will become an oddity/exotic skill to have eventually; reserved for professional people.
You can´t blame him for voicing in favor of GUI and user friendliness, it´ how our world is evolving.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Anyone working in IT Sysadmin jobs know that CLI is going nowhere. There's brand new OSes and network appliances that rely heavily on CLI for advanced management and control. This is clearly something most folks won't see or know, and those that want it simple and easy should stick with the the GUI...no argument there.

Linux is gaining market share, SteamOS helped (but is faltering), Ubuntu and Mint get better with every release. Linux runs the Internet, and the bulk of DNS servers out there that everyone uses so heavily to go to www.whatever.com rather than 75.23.411.345..etc. In the world of managing what you guys want to easily use, Linux and Unix are the backbones of that. Not Windows, not OSX. Also with folks getting upset about Win10 issues, Linux is becoming more common. SteamOS, while struggling is still pushing more games to Linux. PlayOnLinux is helping to make Wine easier to use and access for gaming on Linux. More and more software vendors are pushing apps to Linux. It's getting easier and more common and has been for the last decade.

I work for a Microsoft-certified vendor and as such do a lot with Server 2012R2, powershell, advanced configurations and deployments. And for some of our more critical services, reliability required deployments, etc...we turn to Linux every time, for good reason. Might not be as important to the general end-user up front...but making brash and ignorant statements doesn't make it any less true that it is a necessity to run those services and things that the folks who want it easy so very much rely upon.

He has every right to voice his favor for GUI, just like you do...it's HOW that particular individual does it. Act like an ass, get treated like one, and that's all I'll say about that. @Nergal you do bring up some good points from your perspective and I thank you for doing so in an appropriate manner. :)

:toast:

"please go bash something you know more about. You've added nothing of use here."

Sure, after trying to use Linux for over 10 frigging years and always giving up in the end because of all the stupidity surrounding it, I surely don't know ANYTHING about it. It was always some dumb shit, mostly surrounding drivers, but also included other things.

As for Linux gaining market share, I'm listening this fairy tale for 15 years. And it's still the same crap with same lousy market share. 300 trillion distros with zero standardization. It's designed to fail.

System Name Headshot
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero ROG
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360 MPH
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 @ 3200 16-18-18-18-36
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega64 (Linux)/Gigabyte RX 6600 (Windows VM)
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Display(s) 2x Acer 1080P 144HZ
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Stack (Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC + Magni 3 AMP + Loki)
Power Supply eVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Arch Linux with Windows 10 Gaming VM
When I tried AMDGPU Pro on my R9 290 it had problems with compositing, I had to disable compositing or my desktop would not render past login. I find the opensource drivers work better than the proprietary driver for the most part, expcept in a few situation and of course if you want vulkan support. Plus the opensource driver gives you the ability to run wine-gallium-nine which is a huge performance increase in older DX9 games in wine. Playing thorugh STALKER now and playing some CoD4 multi player in wine also. Dragon Age Origins etc.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
"please go bash something you know more about. You've added nothing of use here."

Sure, after trying to use Linux for over 10 frigging years and always giving up in the end because of all the stupidity surrounding it, I surely don't know ANYTHING about it. It was always some dumb shit, mostly surrounding drivers, but also included other things.

As for Linux gaining market share, I'm listening this fairy tale for 15 years. And it's still the same crap with same lousy market share. 300 trillion distros with zero standardization. It's designed to fail.

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

You should totally stick with Windows. :toast:

If Linux was designed to fail, you wouldn't be here posting right now. :slap:

@m0nt3 and @Aquinus I have been meaning to try the Radeon PRO for my HM8850 (R7 265x iirc) in my Dell laptop...but honestly the open source driver has been so stable and I believe my GPU might not be supported. Frankly everything runs so smooth on Ubuntu 16 right now (recently upgraded)...I'm pretty damn content. The games I do play on Linux run smoother than ever, slapped Cinnamon 3 on there...everything is fast, smooth and stable.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wish BeOS had taken off. Was a fan of it's GUI and console (among other positive features). I bought versions 3, 4, and 5 Pro as support to the team :)

Anyhoo, good news on the drivers. I haven't used Linux in awhile but do have a GPU on the supported list and a spare SSD. Might try it out.

I am. Because even if Windows 10 is the worst OS in entire history, it's still 100 million light years better than Linux. And don't mix up server stuff with client. That's like comparing CNC machine with a file... And yeah, Linux is fail. "It'll overtake Windows anytime now" I hear every time they release new 500th edition of the GUI frontend and 500th edition of the Linux core. And yet it's still this clumsy trainwreck no one wants to use but the most hardcore masochists. If you like it great, but you saying it's great doesn't change the fact it just isn't.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
When I tried AMDGPU Pro on my R9 290 it had problems with compositing, I had to disable compositing or my desktop would not render past login. I find the opensource drivers work better than the proprietary driver for the most part, expcept in a few situation and of course if you want vulkan support. Plus the opensource driver gives you the ability to run wine-gallium-nine which is a huge performance increase in older DX9 games in wine. Playing thorugh STALKER now and playing some CoD4 multi player in wine also. Dragon Age Origins etc.
I feel that fglrx on 15.10 was smoother than the open source drivers for desktop compositing but, that doesn't really bother me too much since it is trying to do stuff across all 3 displays. Did you install it on 16.04 or did you use something like Mint instead? I hear that there is an issue where part of the driver isn't getting compiled on the 4.4 kernel and requires a little bit of hacking to get around whereas I think Mint is on 4.6 now.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Linux is great for the professional world, a lot of VFX studio are working on Redhat and there is the server business as well. For the comsummer though linux can give you an headache. I only have internet access by wifi. And linux can't have broadcom driver preinstalled due to gnu. Trying to get the wifi to work was a nightmare, you need to search trough countless forum post, then the package needed need dependencies, so you need to have an internet access, unless you want to search ,download and install each dependencies required by using another computer (wich is hard when the dependencies need another dependencies). So I had to install the wifi driver by using a virtual machine then cloning the virtual partition on a real one with clonezilla.

And then they was the whole mess to install amd official driver on what was at the time the lts version of ubuntu. The problem was know for a while but didn't get fixed.
Linux strenght is also it's weak point: if they could incoporate all the official drivers, it would be easy to use but then it wouldn't be linux anymore.

There is also the fact that some software are developped for a specific distribution in mind: take Maya, let's say that you want to do a full linux 3D/compositing worksation, you will be forced to use centOS, wich isn't the most user friendly. And trying to get Maya to work on ubuntu take a lot of effort, and you may run into several bug.

Only a free but not gnu/opensource fork of linux may have the chance to be easy to use for people who are not confortable with typing line in the console. Just like lots of peeps would like to make website, but can't get their mind around html/css code and can only work with a full graphic software (like Adobe muse).

Last edited:
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
Eagerly waiting for gcn1.0 support. Still, the radeonsi driver is pretty good.