1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good laptop suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Keiki, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Keiki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I'm gonna be goin to university this year (I hope) and I'm gonna be buying a latop. I'm looking for a portable/gaming laptop, that means perhaps something at least with a X1600 mobile. Also, at least an Intel Core duo. I've also been wondering if a 64 bit processor would be needed in the future because I want to keep my laptop for at least 2-3 years and want it to be relatively future compatible. Is AMD coming up with a new notebook cpu? I saw something about a dual core notebook cpu from AMD soon...

Anyways, I see that Dell has this new laptop, the XPS M1710 and it is one hell of a beast. Look at the specs : http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=2742&p=2

Any suggestions? I guess my budget is around 2000-3000 cdn. I know that the XPS M1710 is way over that, but I've been known to go over my budget in the past :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Yea The Acer Ferrari, fiberglass laptop, light, looks amazingly sweet, also graet for gaming.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. trog100

Thanks Received:
    yes buy a laptop to do laptop things on and an xbox to play games on..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Oh so true. A laptop for gaming is almost contradictery. If you want a laptop, use it for school. I agree, gaming and work should be seperate.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'll tell ya this as i have a few friends going to college next year. there are very few reasons to get a laptop for school unless you are the type that would actually type a paper in the park vs talking to people. if you are in a dorm you are better off getting a desktop...

if u are the type that that would actually type a paper in the park then the Acer Ferrari is the one for you. not to mention it looks cool.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, its sweet, and it feels like a peice of paper.

Its fast two with amd turion ooo baby :respect:

10 Year Member at TPU