1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good PC Games playable Online? (ie: BF:BC2)

Discussion in 'Games' started by n-ster, May 7, 2011.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    HAS to be available on Steam. Why Steam? Because I love Steam :) I'm serious...

Right so any game that has a good online experience? I already have BF:BC2 s I'm not interested in FPSes. Price is not a factor, but I refuse to pay monthly.

I was thinking Guild Wars looks OK but idk if I wanna play a MMORPG and its old

I'll be getting AC: Brotherhood tomorrow if that matters

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    LOL, just buy Team Fortress 2 and lose your next 3 years into it.

3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I like good visuals and I am not looking for an fps :(

4. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Don't know why it has to be steam only, you can add any non steam game that you want to your library. Works just like a game bought over steam. My vote is for Starcraft 2, I play the hell out of it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Minecraft? Maybe Darkspore but I offer that one with caution.

n-ster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    What about Portal 2

n-ster says thanks.
  7. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    GW is old, graphics are nothing spectacular, but it has so much content and no practically no grind to be competitive in PvP (after playing for one month you can be competitive with players that play for 6 years stat/equipment/skill-wise, of course, their experience will help them pwn you :laugh: )

Also, officially, GW is not a MMORPG, it's a CORPG (competitive RPG :laugh: ) - that distinction is due to everything being instanced.

Now, some of pluses of playing Guild Wars are:
    • By playing it, you can get "GW2 points" - unlock thingies for the upcoming awesome looking* MMO
      * awesome in gameplay-sense, visually it's another topic, some would say it'll look awesome, some wouldn't
    • you can play with anyone from anywhere in the world - there is only one "server"
    • it's a really big and good game with lots and lots of things to do
    • it is still updated on a regular basis
    • last but not least - no subscription

n-ster says thanks.
  8. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    Team Fortress 2, again.

As I said, you'll loose a good 3 years of your life into it.

9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I want Steam because I'm stubborn and only wanna buy from Steam :) Easier and I like supporting Steam.

Portal 2 seems weird :/ It looks boring. Minecraft is not very visually appealing lol. SC2 is great, but my cousin plays it, and everything we play together because a competition, and I wont be able to beat him xD Also, the gameplay is repetitive. This is the kind of game I would play occasional, or with my nerdier friends only.

No gun games please :p VISUALLY APPEALING is somewhat important as well (as in not too bad). I'm looking more into a 20+$ game. And as Wyv said, I'm not looking for FPS at all

Darkspore as entered my list of contenders, though it seems a bit out of my comfort zone, it makes the "Final choices" list :)

10. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    Didn't he tell us he doesn't want more FPS games? :p
    Also, not everyone likes TF2 (I for one don't find it fun at all and I've uninstalled it after playing for ~2 hours)

Portal 2 is awesome! Story is great and co-op is loads of fun. But, to each his own ;)

As for SC2, you don't have to play only it's core gameplay, there's LOADS of custom maps & mods, including (but not limited to) Tower Defence maps, DotA-wannabe maps, etc :)

n-ster says thanks.
  11. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    How about Mass Effect 2? Steam have it on sale atm i believe --- [Edit] i'm sorry, it's not online. Thought it was :banghead:

How about DOW2, i quite enjoyed the single player, but haven't tired the multiplayer yet.

12. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    DOW2 type of games I'd play SP more than MP... Looks OK though

Keep the suggestions comming :)

13. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Guild Wars Servers are dead over here in Europe,i would definitely recommend it after playing it for like 4-6 years or something if the community is strong in your region(US).
    I ain't playing it again as i completed all the main campaign and i am still upset over fact my account got hacked and i lost all my 15k armor and my near perfect weapons,getting those equipment isn't easy for normal players that don't farm. =/ Lost my weapons and armor on all my characters...I am now waiting for Guild Wars 2.

n-ster says thanks.
  14. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    f1 2010

15. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    On the small scale, it really isn't but that changes as the world progesses. Here's two shots from the TPU Minecraft server:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

n-ster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    F1 2010 is not something I'd play online.... Most Racing and sports games I'll play with friends and myself, but not online

17. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    Guild Wars has no servers. You can freely jump district when ever you want, and I've never had problems with ping when playing on North American districts.

Also, you can even play GW as a "solo RPG" if you're into that... especially now that you can have 7 heroes in your party

I'm sorry to hear that. It indeed sucks.
    Didn't support help you? I do know a guy that got hacked, but support restored all his characters with all their equipment.

18. St.Alia-Of-The-Knife New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you like building and is creative and original, Garry's Mod sure is interesting
    when i first played it i couldnt believe mankind has actually made a game like this. It actually simulates physics like real world does and you can build amazing structures, or just do random destruction (being a minge) by throwing cars and refrigerators at 100km/h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWD7n-mtU6U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQU4PcH_gkg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6iYv2gjE68

and it is availible on steam.
    Best 10$ you will ever spend:D

19. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Garry's Mod was cool back in v9, when it was still a fresh idea, and free. I bought Gmod 10 but I only played it for maybe two hours total. Plus, the online is just filled with distant and poorly coded RP servers with kids screaming into microphones. It's not something you want to play online.

Team Fortress 2, even though you don't want to play it, used to be good too, before they added a store that made it a battle of the credit cards.

if you're not looking for an FPS, that narrows it down to very few selections, and most of those have fees, or are not very popular.

Starcraft II is very good. Lots of achievements, statistics, etc. Even the single player part is worth plowing through.

Not sure what else you could play if you don't want, fees, guns, first person camera angles, or racing... AND you're looking for good visuals, which usually stem from one of those game "genres" previously mentioned, that's a pretty shallow decision in terms of what's available and what's currently "hot" on the PC game market.

20. Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Try new divinity 2 its a decent game.
    or Patrician 4 with new addon with multiplayer and coop game option.Nice graphic and strategic gameplay.If you like trade across europe.

21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    How about the Total War games, Men Of War ( latest one has coop ) and Two Worlds II ( although it's not worth the $50 there asking for it but can be a lot of fun with a friend or 2.

EDIT
    Divinity II i loved playing it part due to not being D&D based as i got sick of being hit when in fact i had moved out of the frigging way lol. Although killing the bases was pretty much the same thing over and over which made me think of Oblivion and how that was.

I did enjoy the hated game Gothic 4 which i though just needed more time like Farcry 2 ( although FPS ) did which is a pretty hated game although found some things to love about them. In fact Farcry 2 made me think it could of been more of what Ghost Recon 2 should of been. Shame about these to games as if more time was spent on them they would of been total killer games.

22. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Well what i mean was depending on the district you are in,europe,US or Asia or Africa etc some of them are dead,specially in europe last time i checked.

And i tried and they said they won't be able to recover it at all since its been several years the last time i logged in since that day i logged in to actually play again that i noticed all my equipments are gone.
    GW is more fun if you have friends playing,have a laugh,actually plan out a tactic to get to A to B or do this and that. I remember doing one of those crazy long mission in Faction Campaign which took literally 5hours+ on its own. I forgot whats it called,but you will definitely need to play with people as computers won't be good enough for it,its one of those ones where you buy this ticket that cost 5-10k i think.

23. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    World In Conflict is AMAZING online!

24. MadClown

MadClown

Thanks Received:
    Dirt 2?

25. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    OK I hated guildwars. I bought that game and every expansion because a friend talked me into it. I played it and had some max ranked players I knew when I started. They casted "meteor" and a small flaming chunk of weakness dropped from the sky.. I was not impressed with the graphics or game play so I shelved it.. Was a waste of money imo, big time.. Resident evil 5 was playable online.