• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good site or book on database management and scaling

xbonez

System Name Winter
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling
Memory 2 x 2Gb Gskill Ripjaws 1600Mhz (7-7-7-24@1.6V)
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 470 @ Stock (Zalman VF3000 cooler)
Storage 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (RAID 0)
Display(s) Hanns G 28" @ 1920x1200
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Onboard -- TosLink --> Z5500
Power Supply Corsair 850TX 850W PSU
Software Win 7 64-bit Ultimate
Ok, here's the deal. I'm working on a website right now that serves as the face for a online service. The service is going to be heavily database driven with a lot of read / write cycles and a lot of information being stored on the databases.

We're using MySQL. Currently, for the sake of setting up the website, I'm using a single database with multiple tables depending on the information being stored and purpose being served. If things go right, this service could attract a lot of traffic and our database could blow up significantly fast.

I'm really interested in setting up the database schemas right from the get go so later down the line we don't need to carry out a major overhaul of the backend resulting in downtime.

Long story short, could you please recommend me some books / websites that teach / talk about building scalable databases. I don't need the basics of DBMS or SQL. I'm looking primarily for sources that discuss the architecture of high volume databases - normalizing, sharding etc.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
any textbook on database design you can find on amazon.com should be helpful. also, go to the bookstore and look around in the computer section.

Jacko28

As Easy Rhino said most of the database systems books on amazon will cover what you need. I've got a book which I used at University, it went into alot of detail regarding subjects such as normalization and other methodoligies, it's an information systems dev book rather than purley database management but still good. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll find out what it's called.