• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good steering wheel and joystick?

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
Oh, and thanks for keeping us updated on whatever you decide to do!

You're quite welcome. I'm now torn between the two. I really like the look of fanatec better than the logitech (the porche logo does it for me haha) and it's cheaper. But on Logitech's side, they have customer loyalty, a WIRED product, and included paddle shifters. This may end up being a coin toss to come to a decision lol.

streetfighter 2

The Fanatec does have included paddle shifters, but they're plastic. Mr. Fanatec was commenting that they can be upgraded to carbon or metal (for a large premium I'm sure).

Not all games will work with a clutch and stick so an alternative shift method is mandatory.

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Mouse Logitech
it does? none of the pictures I saw had any. I know the carbon ones are $35-$40 from what I remember seeing.

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Mouse Logitech
After actually looking at a specs sheet there has been some disappointing info revealed on the fanatec side. The 160 model isn't a leather steering wheel. it doesn't even list paddles as optional, there's no vibration in the wheel (i love me some rumble) and the plastics aren't treated very well. That strongly shifted me to the logitech set now lol and since I liked the porche logo I suppose I can go on ebay and buy one for a couple of bucks and glue it on then I'll never know the difference haha.

http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm

there's the comparison spec sheet.

Edit: After doing some deeper comparisons and trying to get things evened out as much as possible between logitech and fanatech the results from me are in. The logitech unit is significantly cheaper (by about $100) The closest model fanatech has to match the details of logitech is this which comes with steel pedals, paddles, and a leather wheel instead of plastic first two and rubber wheel like the $160 version. BUT two downsides to the fana here, no shifter is included so you must buy the $50 accessory + a $2 cable. That brings your total cost of fanatech vs. logitech (pre shipping) to $370 vs $260 if keeping as many things consistent between the two as possible.

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

That comparison sheet is awesome, thanks!

On the plus side though it does seem to indicate that everything on the Carrera wheel is wired.

Personally I don't care about the grip material provided it is reasonably grippy, comfortable and doesn't wear easily. As indicated in the comparison the Carrera wheel uses a TPE rubber grip which is often associated with creep after extended use but I'm willing to bet you'd have to use it for a disturbingly long time to get there. Also I'm quite fond of using my BMX gloves while driving because it keeps the grip on the wheel in good shape and improves the friction coefficient of my hands. (Too much racing nerd eh?)

Paddles shouldn't be optional in my opinion. Some games don't work with stick/clutch so an alternative has to be present.

As for the vibration I'm unsure. I'm not even completely clear on what "Force Feedback" is... Consequently I'm going to read up on it after I get some fooding done. Ah I see:
additional vibration motors in wheel rim - no
Good thing you noticed that.

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Mouse Logitech
As I'm an incredibly impatient person I've made my decision on peripherals in many large thanks to all of you.

Steering wheel: Logitech G27
Joystick: Saitek X-52 (the not pro edition lol)
Total price: An awesome gaming experience shalt never have a price put on it