• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Android users clubhouse

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
What is a cool case maker that makes cases like the Iphone has, The rubber like non destructible kind?

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
I have and HIGHLY suggest the otterbox... it is really good.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
A couple of initial impressions/rants about the Galaxy Nexus:

• I really do like ICS. One thing that I think might need to be changed is menu and search functions to be standardized in different apps. Some apps have them on the top, some on the bottom. When flying between apps having them in completely different places is a little confusing.
  • The camera in the Galaxy Nexus is severely sub-par to the 8MP shooters that HTC puts out. My old Incredible (now my little sister's) puts this camera to shame (except for the instant photos). The flash washes pictures out a lot more than the HTC phones (I was always incredibly impressed by the flash performance) and low-light pictures just plain suck.
  • The phone is a bit slippery naked. My Rezound's soft-touch battery panel was enough for me to keep a steady grip on it, but the Galaxy Nexus just about flies out of your hand at times (especially if you've just washed your hands). I think I'll have to keep an eye out for a nice case.
  • The screen is great. I greatly missed AMOLED, and the Pentile matrix is almost unnoticable. The combination of AMOLED and Pentile make things look kind of grainy/washed out at very low brightness settings, but it still looks pretty good. Whenever I look at a white background, it almost looks like the background of lined paper because of the combination.
  • Hardware buttons are MUCH easier to press than either the Incredible (didn't have a problem with them) and the Rezound (horribly shallow and barely tactile).
  • Because of the lack of Android shortcut buttons on the bottom when the phone is off or looking at something full screen, I sometimes pick the phone up upside-down. Not problematic, but kind of silly sometimes :p
  • All of the sounds on this phone are WAY TOO QUIET. I can't even hear some YouTube vidoes that are a little quiet in the first place, but they are INAUDIBLE at max volume. Ring and notification volumes are low compared to HTC phones as well. I really hope they push an update to boost the volume and it's not a hardware limitation.
  • I kind of miss 7 home screens (what I was used to), but I'm making do with 5. The widgets aren't bad either (although I am using some Beautiful Widgets as well now, thanks $0.10 sale).
  • Animations are much faster than on my Rezound, and because of that, are less "in the way" of some of the flashy stuff that Sense 3.5 does. Much better overall.

Guess that was a little more than I expected to write, but more to come! Questions are more than welcome :)
Out of that, the aound is a hit or miss for me... i love that the phone is quiter, but like u said on youtube.... it is too quite.

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
atrix ever getting ics?

brandonwh64

Ok got the phone from cold storm today and I am having usb issues :( It will charge only and will NOT allow to see sdcard or htc sync or tether. When hooking it to the PC it says a device has malfunctioned. I have tried three pc's and also tried to install the drivers manaully. I also rebooted in the bootloader and it does the same there. I may have to go back to my OG droid :(

D

Deleted member 67555

Stream IceFilms to Android

download
MX Video Player

MegaStream

and make sure your phone is capable of FLASH Player

I also recommend Dolphin HD

Go to www.icefilms.info
select show or movie.
On link page Tap on "Sources" it should be on the mid top right.
From "sources page" Tap on link.
at MegaUpload page Tap on "Copy to Clipboard"
Tap Address Bar.
Tap the link you just "copied to clipboard"
Megaupload page reloads now select watch on "Megavideo"
Voila! enjoy

Sorry if this has been posted
and add me to the club HTC EVO Shift

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
May be the cable you are trying brandon?

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Was the USB mode changed? Did you do a factory reset on the phone when you got it/before it was sent?

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
I did a factory reset when I sent out the phone. I've only ever used the usb for the ac unit. Didn't want to root the thing, so I never plugged it into a computer..

Brandon and I talked last night and played around with a few things. I just sent him back the cash and a little extra. No use in fighting it...

brandonwh64

Well I ended up trying everything I could last night. I went through every setting and tried multiple cables, mircoSD cards, and PCs but same result everytime (USB device has malfunctioned). I am looking around ad Cell phone repair places that deal in this phone so they can replace the USB connector (hoping thats the issue) as of now I am back on my OG droid until I can get this fixed. It not really the need to root it but the need to connect to use the microSD card on my PC and use wired tether when I am at work.

Cold Storm has been very helpfull and I tried to send the phone back to him but he would not have it. He is truly a great guy!

System Name pubg machine
Processor Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard MSI Gaming Edge Wifi x570
Cooling Kraken Z73
Memory 32GB Dominator RGB
Video Card(s) RTX 3080FE
Storage Firecuda 520 2TB
Display(s) Odyssey G7
Case h710i
Audio Device(s) Arctis pro wireless
Power Supply NZXT c1000
Mouse Logitech g pro wireless
Keyboard Logitech g915 tkl
Benchmark Scores pwning n00bs like you
A couple of initial impressions/rants about the Galaxy Nexus:

• I really do like ICS. One thing that I think might need to be changed is menu and search functions to be standardized in different apps. Some apps have them on the top, some on the bottom. When flying between apps having them in completely different places is a little confusing.

This is strictly an app issue. Very few apps are updated to fully support ICS currently. When they are updated, I believe the orientation is lower right for the settings.

• The camera in the Galaxy Nexus is severely sub-par to the 8MP shooters that HTC puts out. My old Incredible (now my little sister's) puts this camera to shame (except for the instant photos). The flash washes pictures out a lot more than the HTC phones (I was always incredibly impressed by the flash performance) and low-light pictures just plain suck.

This is something that bugs me too, but it's not a deal breaker. I do like the speed of the camera, and find that it's perfectly fine, unless it is a terrible light situation. Most of the pics I've taken have came out pretty well.

• The phone is a bit slippery naked. My Rezound's soft-touch battery panel was enough for me to keep a steady grip on it, but the Galaxy Nexus just about flies out of your hand at times (especially if you've just washed your hands). I think I'll have to keep an eye out for a nice case.

Haven't had this issue personally, but it's a matter of what you're used to I guess.

• The screen is great. I greatly missed AMOLED, and the Pentile matrix is almost unnoticable. The combination of AMOLED and Pentile make things look kind of grainy/washed out at very low brightness settings, but it still looks pretty good. Whenever I look at a white background, it almost looks like the background of lined paper because of the combination.

The screen really is awesome. Once you root the phone, there's a few custom kernels that increase the crispness of the colors a bit, and it's a noticeable difference. Not sure on the exact voodoo involved but it was noticeable to my poor eyes.

• Hardware buttons are MUCH easier to press than either the Incredible (didn't have a problem with them) and the Rezound (horribly shallow and barely tactile).

This confuses me? There are no hardware buttons on the Nexus. They're software based.

• Because of the lack of Android shortcut buttons on the bottom when the phone is off or looking at something full screen, I sometimes pick the phone up upside-down. Not problematic, but kind of silly sometimes :p

I do find myself holding my phone upside down on occasion as well!

• All of the sounds on this phone are WAY TOO QUIET. I can't even hear some YouTube vidoes that are a little quiet in the first place, but they are INAUDIBLE at max volume. Ring and notification volumes are low compared to HTC phones as well. I really hope they push an update to boost the volume and it's not a hardware limitation.

Volume+ fixes this. It's a paid app, but it can be found for free on the authors website(legally!). This is annoying, but the developer community will fix this, and of course we can hope Google will do the same.

• I kind of miss 7 home screens (what I was used to), but I'm making do with 5. The widgets aren't bad either (although I am using some Beautiful Widgets as well now, thanks $0.10 sale).

There are many many custom launchers out that have this covered. There's even several based off the stock ICS launcher.

• Animations are much faster than on my Rezound, and because of that, are less "in the way" of some of the flashy stuff that Sense 3.5 does. Much better overall.

Definitely liking the animations!

Guess that was a little more than I expected to write, but more to come! Questions are more than welcome :)

I posted a few rebuttals above. No offense intended, just a few opinions/retorts on the points you made, many of which I agree with and believe to be quite valid.

System Name Big Devil
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Couple of responses:

I really do like ICS. One thing that I think might need to be changed is menu and search functions to be standardized in different apps. Some apps have them on the top, some on the bottom. When flying between apps having them in completely different places is a little confusing.

This is strictly an app issue. Very few apps are updated to fully support ICS currently. When they are updated, I believe the orientation is lower right for the settings.

Great to hear. I'm definitely aware that this phone will get nothing but better in time :)

Hardware buttons are MUCH easier to press than either the Incredible (didn't have a problem with them) and the Rezound (horribly shallow and barely tactile).

This confuses me? There are no hardware buttons on the Nexus. They're software based.

Hardware buttons as in the power button and volume rocker ;)

All of the sounds on this phone are WAY TOO QUIET. I can't even hear some YouTube vidoes that are a little quiet in the first place, but they are INAUDIBLE at max volume. Ring and notification volumes are low compared to HTC phones as well. I really hope they push an update to boost the volume and it's not a hardware limitation.

Volume+ fixes this. It's a paid app, but it can be found for free on the authors website(legally!). This is annoying, but the developer community will fix this, and of course we can hope Google will do the same.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

I kind of miss 7 home screens (what I was used to), but I'm making do with 5. The widgets aren't bad either (although I am using some Beautiful Widgets as well now, thanks $0.10 sale).

There are many many custom launchers out that have this covered. There's even several based off the stock ICS launcher.

Definitely know that, I was just speaking of the phone stock/as-sold. Not quite ready to root yet personally, but I definitely will in the future.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Heya DD! If you get sick of the Trebuchet launcher, give ADW Launcher a try. I got the apk in my dropbox, just le tme know if you want an invite.

System Name Rex
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard GigaByte B450M DS3H
Cooling Wraith
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengence 3000
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 1660 SC
Storage XPG M.2, Samsung 860 SSD, WD Black 1 TB
Display(s) ASUS VG248
Case Corsair mATX cube. (Alas they don't make it anymore)
Power Supply Corsair HX 600 Watt
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 ibit
Anybody here have the Galaxy SII Skyrocket? I have to stick with AT&T, and I'm sick of my Backflip. Don't think I have the patience to wait for the Google phone to arrive at AT&T. Thanks!

Last edited:
System Name pubg machine
Processor Ryzen 3950x
Cooling Kraken Z73
Video Card(s) RTX 3080FE
Storage Firecuda 520 2TB
Display(s) Odyssey G7
Case h710i
Power Supply NZXT c1000
Thanks DD. When you root, I think you should try nova launcher. It's pretty sweet.

@nastyhabits, any of the galaxy SII series phones are fantastic! my friend has the skyrocket and has nothing but good things to say about it.

System Name Big Devil
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Case Corsair 600T SE
Anybody here have the Galaxy SII Skyrocket? I have to stick with AT&T, and I'm sick of my Backflip. Don't think I have the patience to wait for the Google phone to arrive at AT&T. Thanks!

Couldn't you buy an unlocked Galaxy Nexus GSM and use it? If you're worried about a contract upgrade, find a person that wants a new phone but doesn't have an upgrade, work out a price, and buy it for them.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
I think you should try nova launcher

It's too bad it's ICS based. I would have loved to give it a try on my Froyo based rom.

Also, you don't need root to side load apk's. Just a file manager that allows browsing root of SD cards, like Astro and ES along with allowing unknown sources.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
System Name pubg machine
Processor Ryzen 3950x
Cooling Kraken Z73
Video Card(s) RTX 3080FE
Storage Firecuda 520 2TB
Display(s) Odyssey G7
Case h710i
Power Supply NZXT c1000

It's too bad it's ICS based. I would have loved to give it a try on my Froyo based rom.

Also, you don't need root to side load apk's. Just a file manager that allows browsing root of SD cards, like Astro and ES along with allowing unknown sources.

Right, but the recommended install method is to place it in /System which does require root. True on your point otherwise though.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
I gotcha now. The app itself doesnt like to be placed in /data

System Name Rex
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard GigaByte B450M DS3H
Cooling Wraith
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengence 3000
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 1660 SC
Storage XPG M.2, Samsung 860 SSD, WD Black 1 TB
Display(s) ASUS VG248
Case Corsair mATX cube. (Alas they don't make it anymore)
Power Supply Corsair HX 600 Watt
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 ibit
Couldn't you buy an unlocked Galaxy Nexus GSM and use it? If you're worried about a contract upgrade, find a person that wants a new phone but doesn't have an upgrade, work out a price, and buy it for them.

It's not the contract, it's my grandfathered unlimited data plan I want to keep.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.