• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Announces Stadia Cloud Gaming Service at GDC 2019

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Rubbish. Like Office 360 and every subscription-based software, they are greedy.

Pretty much. This is my simple opinion as well.

If Google Fiber were still a thing they were pushing out - lots of speed and unlimited data, something like this would be a no brainer for an avid gamer.

Folks with data caps that spend lots of time gaming, not to mention streaming music and videos, won't be able to sustain streaming a video game for very long without hitting or exceeding their data cap.

Between the wife, my 10 year old, 6 year old and myself, we generally average around 650GB a month (more less, depending on the time of year). I don't download games very often - still working on the ones I have installed - so I wouldn't have much wiggle room here to stream a game. If you figure a open-world type game, such as the Assassin Creed games, you can sink countless hours into it. The last AC game I played I easily put 40 hours into it over the course of a month or so.

Folks reporting, according to the past test review on Google's Cloud Streaming here on TPU, upwards of 6-7GB/hour.....that's just brutal! If I were to then spend 40 hours in a month on a AC game, that means I'd probably hit anywhere from 240 to 280GB just for one game.

1 game like that a month could easily push my household to the 1TB datacap on Comcast or past. For a lot of people with datacaps, something like this just isn't feasible anytime soon.

Aye. It is disgusting. I pay $50 additional each month just to have unlimited bandwidth through Xfinity. Here we are in 2019 and we are forced to regress in convenience and hinder technological advancement in the name of capital greed.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
cloud gaming dreams from the early 90s( or so) come to fruition. Of course it will take full advantage of Google Fiber, along with other Google products. If you questioned what personal information was being tracked before, this "service" is carte-blanche to collect even more and sell it for profit, a small price to pay for the cost of a few free games....

System Name main rig
Processor 1600X @4.05ghz
Motherboard ASUS B350 Prime PLUS
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair 16 GB (dual ch.)
Video Card(s) Pitcairn XT
Storage 500 GB SSD, 12 TB RAID0
Display(s) UltraGear 27GL850-B w/ Freesync
Case Antec P193
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar
Power Supply Corsair 650W
Mouse MX518
Keyboard daskeyboard s /w cherry red switches
Software Fedora Rawhide
So it will be 15-20 GB/h in 4K. Still, not a big deal. That's under 50 Mbps. 5G will do that easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1#Levels

Yes I think tendency towards ~18 GB/h in games with a lot of stuff moving. But way less for games where either parts of the screen are intransparent HUD elements (WoW, Diablo III, League of Legends, etc.)
or the screen is basically just having small animations on a rather static playing field (any strategy, card games like Hearthstone, Gent, MTG).

This service will find customers but during the first phase it will mostly make sense for the more casual gamer who may own no PC or at least no gaming PC.
Regardless - if it's free to test, I'll gladly test it, I am on a 100Mbit/s line with a 5ms RTT to my next Google datacenter.

I think this will be a game changer. Exactly how I don't know; but I doubt it'll be positive for us "classical" gamers.
AdoredTV has his take on it, worth watching.

Gersonh

I find customers but during the first phase it will mostly make sense for the more casual gamer, I look very nice video about gaming revolution