• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Hi everyone,

We’ll be having a Stadia team meeting today, September 29th at 8:30 AM PT to share some important updates with everyone. Apologies for the short notice — we would appreciate it if you can please prioritise attending this meeting, or check in with your manager afterwards if you can’t make it. Details have been added to your calendars. This will be a virtual-only meeting, so please feel free to join from wherever you’re working today.

Best,

Phil
Wow. What a dick move on behalf of this "Phil".

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Yeah. "Thanks for coming to work today. Your efforts have been greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way, you're fired. So is the rest of your team. So is your manager. And his manager. Thanks again, bye."

He's an overhyped ex-Sony exec (i remember they were promoting him since early Edge (the magazine) era.
But probably they announced the decision to him also the last minute (my guess)

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Oh, I get it. However, I see Microsoft 365 as different from the others. With Microsoft 365, you're really paying for the 1 TB of OneDrive storage (or in the case of the family plan, 6 TBs with 1 TB being dished out for each user). The Office suite itself ends up just being the cherry atop the OneDrive sundae.

Well, there was no indication from your original post that you got it. A lot of people in these types of Q&A forums (not just here at TPU) make provocative comments without any frame of reference.

So Microsoft 365 is simply another subscription plan for a different service. It's still Something as a Service, just not Gaming. So whether you use 90 MB or 990 MB you're still paying the same amount.

Again, Microsoft found that charging a monthly subscription for cloud storage was more profitable in the long run than selling the standalone Office suite on DVDs at your local Office Depot store. Luckily, they still offer the standalone product. I have MS Office Home & Student. I don't use it a lot so my documents fit on my free iCloud tier. I could also use my venerable Dropbox Basic account if I wanted.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Well, there was no indication from your original post that you got it.
I get it, but I don't like it; in fact, I hate it. I understand the economics behind it. Case in point... Diablo Immortal. A game like that practically prints the green stuff by the semi-truck full and investors love that kind of sweet, sweet money rolling in with little to no effort.

I remember when you bought the game and that was that, you had it forever. Now? Not so much. And then with the rise of DRM, if they decide to take the DRM server offline your game goes with it.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I get it, but I don't like it; in fact, I hate it.

I remember when you bought the game and that was that, you had it forever. Now? Not so much. And then with the rise of DRM, if they decide to take the DRM server offline your game goes with it.

Well, take up another hobby. Maybe gardening?

I agree that DRM is distasteful. Remember that whole DIVX debacle? I hated it from the start and never bought into their stupid player or their stupid discs.

Somehow I think DRM for video games is going to stay though. Right now, you have the option of buying many titles DRM-free from GOG. They released Skyrim SE today.

And even if you owned the original CD of whatever game, do you have the hardware to run it? I see Twitch streamers play old console games on original hardware and a lot of those devices have clearly seen better days. Owning physical game media doesn't guarantee an enjoyable playing experience either.

A more realistic consumer gaming attitude would to not expect that anything you pay for will last forever. I wish it could but it probably won't.

I know from being on the Internet that a lot of people don't like having realistic attitudes which results in frequent disappointment. Nothing I can do about that.

By collectively complaining, maybe they can change video game companies' practices. But it won't happen overnight and probably not without protracted litigation.

Last edited:
PC gamers felt really threatened by stadia but it was just, like most of the cloud, an remote PC offering. There was never a real threat for people who prefer to own their hardware.

I tried stadia and since I have a powerful PC I didn't felt it was that good. But it had its niche. People with many children were able to share games and play together using stadia without having to get multiple console or gaming PC. A simple Chromebook was enough. You could share your Pro games and purchased games with your family. That was a cheap alternative for a lot of people

At least they are refunding people but that is an option that is gone for a lot of people with less wealth

D

Deleted member 185088

It won't be missed, unless they break the laws of physics and more importantly ensure decent internet everywhere (given the greed and incompetence of telecommunications companies this seems even more impossible) game streaming will never be able to offer decent playing experience for most games.

System Name Boris
Processor C2D Q6600 @ 3.6ghz 24/7 H20
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
Cooling 2x240mm + 1x120mm + 1x360mm rads one loop.
Memory 4gb Corsair XMS2 6400 @ 1100mhz
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS HD4870 XFire H20
Storage 2x320gb Seagates
Display(s) 2 x 22" AOC + 1 x 24" AOC extended desktop
Case Boris
Audio Device(s) X-Fi xtreme music
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W
Software Vista x64
Benchmark Scores 1 Penis push up, then it broke.
Show me a business case where any of these services make sense. SPOILER: It doesn't.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Good thing I never considered it seriously and thus never tried it. Indeed, writing was on the wall.

I highly doubt that. It isn't even a streaming service either.
I doubt that.

First of all EGS is not a cloud streaming GaaS platform. It's a storefront both for one-time software purchases as well as free-to-play titles. Note the Epic Games is also a publisher as well as a GaaS company (making money off of subscriptions as well as one-time purchases).

Google's primary business is collecting users' online behavior and selling it to advertisers, a completely different business model.

Moreover, Epic Games isn't some shoestring operation. It's about 40% owned by Chinese media giant Tencent Holdings. Now while no company is "too big to fail" I'm guessing that their Chinese equity holders aren't going to let Epic Games flushed down the toilet.

Ignore EGS's weekly freebies, their main focus is to grow properties like Fortnite which provide steady revenue.

It's a division going nowhere while burning literal tons of cash. Epic already started deinvesting on it with low profile freebies and far less temporal exclusivities.

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Even the Wii U had longer lifespan. :laugh:

Epic does not rake in the big bucks from Unreal Engine. They waive Unreal Engine royalties on games that use it until revenue reaches $1 million. If the games are published on the Epic Game Store, they won't collect even if those games are big sellers.

Again, Epic takes a percentage of game sales on the Epic Game Store. This was heavily covered during their litigation with Apple. They aren't giving games away from free. They are also a publisher and thus take a cut of sales from those titles.

Their big play is for GaaS, which in practice translates to ongoing subscriptions, in-game purchases, microtransactions, etc. Fortnite is free to play, they make their money from cosmetics, etc.

My guess is that the PC video game universe can support multiple storefronts. Note that Epic Games has a mobile presence on Android. They had an EGS app on iOS but following their unsuccessful litigation with Apple, the end result is that they got kicked out of the iOS/iPadOS market.

Amusingly, Apple users can still play Fortnite via GeForce NOW both on iDevices as well as Mac.

One of the major factors that has driven Unreal Engine success is its portability: desktop, console, mobile, and VR.

I know all that, my point is just that they are dumping money on getting market share and their revenue is not large enough to cover it. At some point the strategy will need to change or they'll eventually go bust (I think 2024 was a number trown around at the time of the lawsuit, it also varies a lot but anyway, the point is they can't give free stuff away forever).

Also fortnite has had a good run, but until when will that last? There's surely space for multiple pc game stores and Epic is a good business but sooner than later that could change very very quickly.

NVIDIA's GFNow is worst, though, and they definitely don't have the deep-pockets compared to Google but NVIDIA do architect the most costly part of the hardware though.

The only problem with GeForce Now is copyright cartels. Seriously, there's no reason they need to have a drip feed of available titles instead of everything*(small exceptions excluded) just working, you're just renting server space to run the games you "own". You can roll your own solution on different services (probably with less performance, higher lag and no game cache for quick installs) and no one would bat an eye, but because Nvidia is pretty big everyone wants a piece of the honeypot even when they're not entitled to it.

From the streaming solutions it's the only one I find remotely appealing, contrary to xcloud or playstation (whatever it's called now) for example you just play your library on rented hardware instead of depending on the available catalog from the service (and how long they retain the license).

Case Apple proprietary
It's a division going nowhere while burning literal tons of cash. Epic already started deinvesting on it with low profile freebies and far less temporal exclusivities.

Well, at least they're still putting engineering resources into the EGS application. I get prompted regularly to update the software.

The only problem with GeForce Now is copyright cartels.
The only and the most important destructive problem.

No pubs/devs titles (that could be removed at ANY unannounced given day and/or time), no need for GFNow.

Case Apple proprietary
Google was announcing new games for Stadia this week.

So Google senior management didn't leak any hints of the service's demise to the staff until the 11th hour rather than tell them months ago that things weren't looking good.

There are plusses and minuses to both ways.

The best and brightest employees usually see the writing on the wall a long time in advance. Those are usually the first to leave -- not the last -- and they have the best opportunities to find more rewarding challenges elsewhere.

My guess is that most employees of this group probably were just waiting for it to happen. It's about quarter's end and there may have been some sort of missed milestone that ended up being the final straw.

Looking at the video game industry in the old paradigm of a desktop PC with a discrete graphics card running Windows or a console like Xbox is antiquated.

Most gaming revenue is coming from mobile these days.

People playing games on their smartphones really don't want 50 GB downloads and see their batteries drain in an hour. Even Minecraft on iOS is nearly a 1 GB download.
I can't say that I play many mobile games, but there are certainly those like Honkai Impact 3rd that are getting close to 50GB, that game currently takes 19.94 GB on my phone.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Yeah. "Thanks for coming to work today. Your efforts have been greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way, you're fired. So is the rest of your team. So is your manager. And his manager. Thanks again, bye."

So Google senior management didn't leak any hints of the service's demise to the staff until the 11th hour rather than tell them months ago that things weren't looking good.

There are plusses and minuses to both ways.

The best and brightest employees usually see the writing on the wall a long time in advance. Those are usually the first to leave -- not the last -- and they have the best opportunities to find more rewarding challenges elsewhere.

My guess is that most employees of this group probably were just waiting for it to happen. It's about quarter's end and there may have been some sort of missed milestone that ended up being the final straw.

This is, for better or worse, just how things tend to go when an entire operation gets the axe. I've been on the cut side twice, and they ran it the same way; no news 'til day of. One small (<50 employees) and one medium (<500) concern. You need people to keep showing up, and to not sabotage anything ahead of time.

Case Apple proprietary
This is, for better or worse, just how things tend to go when an entire operation gets the axe. I've been on the cut side twice, and they ran it the same way; no news 'til day of. One small (<50 employees) and one medium (<500) concern. You need people to keep showing up, and to not sabotage anything ahead of time.

From a practical standpoint, it's impossible to keep up morale if everyone knows that some people are going to get the axe regardless of whether you're one of the safe ones or not.

Hell, I worked at one company that said they were going to institute a Reduction In Force (RIF) and some people were gleefully waving, "Pick me! Pick me!" in the hope that they would get the termination package. The ones who are left behind are the ones who have to pull the oars harder unless the entire business unit is shut down.

Some people want to stay, others want to leave; RIFs never give everyone what they want.

Personally I prefer making the decision myself rather than letting someone else choose. Better to walk away on your own rather than being handed your hat and shown the door.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
already knew that gaming streaming services won't take off that well considering all the marketing BS these corpo spent on it.

Case Apple proprietary
PC Gamer is reporting that Stadia game developers were caught off guard at today's announcement:

So it's not just Google employees who were kept in the dark. It was also Stadia partners. One developer even said that their game was due to launch in 2 days time on Stadia.

Google can offer new positions for displaced Stadia employees but they can't do anything for game developer employees who are part of teams assigned to a dead platform.

:(

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
PC Gamer is reporting that Stadia game developers were caught off guard at today's announcement:

So it's not just Google employees who were kept in the dark. It was also Stadia partners. One developer even said that their game was due to launch in 2 days time on Stadia.

Google can offer new positions for displaced Stadia employees but they can't do anything for game developer employees who are part of teams assigned to a dead platform.

:(
Couldn't those games be released on any platform for PC?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It won't be missed, unless they break the laws of physics and more importantly ensure decent internet everywhere (given the greed and incompetence of telecommunications companies this seems even more impossible) game streaming will never be able to offer decent playing experience for most games.
You're not looking at the big picture when you say "most games". Anything that's not a fast-paced FPS or arcade game, can easily deal with the added latency.