• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Chrome and Chrome OS......

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Main stream gaming could still be possible. Their servers will do all the processing and send the data back to the users system. No need for high end systems, just super high speed internet.

Which is not as widely used and available in the US, where their primary market is. And some other company is trying to do exactly that with a console box.

Its still pointless to try. This "OS" is for netbooks of 11" screens or smaller. No one will game on a laptop that small. Why would you? And why install this on a larger laptop or desktop with more power and space when you can get an actual OS.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
Which is not as widely used and available in the US, where their primary market is. And some other company is trying to do exactly that with a console box.

Its still pointless to try. This "OS" is for netbooks of 11" screens or smaller. No one will game on a laptop that small. Why would you? And why install this on a larger laptop or desktop with more power and space when you can get an actual OS.

Yes it is stated that it is for notebooks and for appliances....... In case anyone didn't hear that again we have already stated it.
Jesus Christ. Believe it or not there was a time before windows. They did have games back then. It is possible. "Sure the games might of looked like shit but it did happen"

Okay this is just turning into a flamer match here. Caught up on one thing that was said. Wasn't supposed to turn into an argument about it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Yes it is stated that it is for notebooks and for appliances....... In case anyone didn't hear that again we have already stated it.
Jesus Christ. Believe it or not there was a time before windows. They did have games back then. It is possible. "Sure the games might of looked like shit but it did happen"

Okay this is just turning into a flamer match here. Caught up on one thing that was said. Wasn't supposed to turn into an argument about it.

actually this is probably the most angry post we were just having a discussion about it.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.

Sorry if I upset you. I was merely stating my opinion about the points brought up. I did not mean to start anything or upset anyone. I originally post said info. about mainstream gaming because I believe it is unfair to hold something against an OS or any product when it was not design to do what they want.

Unsubscribed.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Sorry if I upset you. I was merely stating my opinion about the points brought up. I did not mean to start anything or upset anyone. I originally post said info. about mainstream gaming because I believe it is unfair to hold something against an OS or any product when it was not design to do what they want.

Unsubscribed.

It's not you per say...... So don't take it personally. I probably jumped to conclusions. It's just lately on this forum I have ran into some pretty negative people. So if I jumped to conclusions please don't take at offense. Don't unsubscribe....... Again I have let people with their negativity rub off on me!

Last edited:
System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
Chrome OS ! no thanx , need more time to decision

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
I wasn't being negative I was just stating that it is unlikely to become a viable gaming platform. Personally I think MS should bring out a gamer's version of windows which has a small footprint and so basic that it it wouldn't be hard to patch vulnerabilities in it.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
I wasn't being negative I was just stating that it is unlikely to become a viable gaming platform. Personally I think MS should bring out a gamer's version of windows which has a small footprint and so basic that it it wouldn't be hard to patch vulnerabilities in it.

Like I said never mind me sometimes I jump too conclusions because of other conversations on here lately have been really negative.

But you make a great point..... those gamer edition Windows XP/Vista/7 that you see out there that people created.(the ones that were made by 3rd party.) I agree I think that Windows is missing out on a large amount of money.
Not only would editions like that be great for gamers but they would also be great for people that aren't very computer savoy, Or people that would use them for HTPC builds, Or for note books, Medical tablet's the list goes on.
I think Microsoft has their Idea backwards. They claim to listen to their customer's and what do they do? They keep adding more and more stuff and by trying to appease everyone they bog it down with useless app's and actually make it harder to operate.

That is one thing that I think Google accomplished so far with this OS. They made it easy and practical to operate. Of course I have never used the OS yet so my opinion is going strictly from watching the video and playing with my friend's Droid phone.
But to do all those multi-function rolls in the future than to model the OS after a Web Browser. That to me is just pure genius..... Sure most people are okay working on a desktop ...... But even more people can surf the web.
Not only that but with being such a low over head....... It would give people with older systems an option for an operating system. There are those people out there who don't want to have to up grade every time windows decides to make a new OS. This way those people wouldn't have too.
Also just think the amount of money you could save on app's alone. From a Business stand point (not Google) this is a bad Idea. But from a Consumer stand point this is a great idea.

kieran78

Actually I have tried Google Chrome browser and observed that it Gmail works faster in Google Chrome explorer. So, yes I will definitely try Google Chrome OS also. And then, will reply again here, to give you the feedback of the new Google OS.
http://goschrome.com/forum/

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Chrome is a good browser, but its full of spyware and security risks. Just google for it (lol), and you'll find a ton of hits about it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Chrome is a good browser, but its full of spyware and security risks. Just google for it (lol), and you'll find a ton of hits about it.

ya but tats not a fair observation. Every browser includes a ton of security risks. Its the nature of them. You cant cure user stupidity or the never ending creation of new threats built to circumvent the security patches. If you base your decision to use a browser off of security risks drop firefox,chrome,IE,Opera,Spacetime,Flock infact stop using the internet and go read a book. But remember to wash your hands. Who knows who sneezed on it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
ya but tats not a fair observation. Every browser includes a ton of security risks. Its the nature of them. You cant cure user stupidity or the never ending creation of new threats built to circumvent the security patches. If you base your decision to use a browser off of security risks drop firefox,chrome,IE,Opera,Spacetime,Flock infact stop using the internet and go read a book. But remember to wash your hands. Who knows who sneezed on it.

Chrome is one of the worst, storing important stuff in plain text format (such as your net banking details or credit card numbers), giving you a unique user ID for google to track your stats, and so on.

hell, its bad enough people made their own version of it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Chrome is one of the worst, storing important stuff in plain text format (such as your net banking details or credit card numbers), giving you a unique user ID for google to track your stats, and so on.

hell, its bad enough people made their own version of it.

Ya but in the end its user opinion. Look at IE companies can just go out and make their own activx programs and other things that can link and directly use operating system files. WTF is that about? Plain text formatting is a pretty weak defense given that any browser can be susceptible to theft or highjacking. It comes down to the user going to www.fakebank of america of korea.com please re enter all your info at the prompt because we suffered a database error. and need all your info again. Personally anyone who enters that info is a moron and deserves what he gets. If i did something that stupid because of non safe browsing habits I couldnt get mad knowing im the tool. Besides every company tries its best to prevent such issues. Not encrypting a temp file on your PC that stores personal information I dont think is a problem as long as the application in question takes steps to prevent anything except that application from accessing/ hiding it. To each their own when it comes to points of security risk. It all depends on what risk your willing to except and how much you trust the app with your data. If you dont then simply stop using the program. It would be stupid to use a browser made my 16yr/o script kiddies in high school that you dont trust. Then telling everyone the browser sucks because someone stole your info and blew $800 from your bank account. Its your own fault.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
With all chromes problems, i just use Iron. Problem solved :p

Its also handy since theres a portable version (no installer) - great for flash drives/guests using your PC, you can delete the folder and all cookies/saved details go bye bye.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
With all chromes problems, i just use Iron. Problem solved :p

Its also handy since theres a portable version (no installer) - great for flash drives/guests using your PC, you can delete the folder and all cookies/saved details go bye bye.

hahahaha :p I like that approch though personally when someone steals all my browser stuff i go over to their house beat the snot out of them and then steal their wallet banking on that it has most of my $$ in it anyway

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
actually, heres some good info on why iron is better than chrome. Some of the security based stuff is worthless, but some of the other things (built in ad blocker) are great additions.

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Just to clarify, while Linux was originally a variate of UNIX, it is no longer considered so. It was and is only a kernel, not an entire OS, which is why several hundred OS's have been built on top of it.

Google Chrome is based on Ubuntu in particular if I am not mistake (just like the first time they did this that people chose not to recall) and it will fail again I hope. I have not used it, but it seems a little more restrictive than several other options for netbook and cloud computing.

I find JollyCloud a better solution for this type of OS.

It's called JoliCloud

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Audio Device(s) GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Benchmark Scores GET FUCKED
Yeah I have been using SRWare Iron for quite sometime now and I must say I have no complaints thus far. I have given all the browsers a good go even from back in the days of Netscape Navigator LOL IE Just seems open to vulnerabilities from the get go and as part of the operating system or at least using some of the same code as it I have always found it to be virus friendly, bloated and really slow loading. Tried opera my previous favorite browser and the common choice not just amongst computers but also a plethora of other web based devices. Firefox, I guess now is as common as IE and have never really liked the look and feel of it and it's numerous variations. Chrome was a vast step forward in browser speed from personal experience and a far amount of reviews, and now with SRWare Iron, the security seems to be even if just for the moment fixed up quite nicely, combined with a built in adblocker, I have never had to worry as much as I have with any other web browser and absolutely love the browsing speeds.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
if firefox was part of my OS, i'd use another browser too. it just scares me to think that a browser is integrated so deeply that infecting it, infects the system (see the recent IE + F1 key debacle for example)