1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Internet

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by mlee49, Mar 3, 2010.

1. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    By now I'm sure most everyone knows Google has announced intentions on developing 1 GigaBit per second Fiber Optic networks to a select group of 50,000 people. You can read much more about this straight from Google:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/think-big-with-gig-our-experimental.html

Major points:
    • Experimental network builds
    • Open Access networks, which will allow multiple service providers on the same physical line: more choices for the end user
    So the reason why I'm posting is due to the fact that Google has chosen Topeka Kansas as a test site. Topeka has already re-named it's self as Google Kansas. Up to 500,000 people may receive this ultra fast network and guess who's just a few miles down the road :D :D :D

Plans to implement this network will be beginning soon. I highly doubt I'll be given an opportunity to test this network for free, but I definitely will be using this network at some point in time.

Please feel free to post thoughts, comments, or even news updates. :)

2. copenhagen69

Thanks Received:
    you are damn lucky ... lets hear a review of it when you do test it out

3. xrealm20

xrealm20

Thanks Received:
    --- I heard that Topeka was going to rename its self to Google --- awesome that you guys are getting the chance to play with some blazing internet speeds.

+1 to Cope, we want to read some reviews about the new service!

4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    When I'm in range I'll SpeedTest the hell out of it! :laugh:

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So Topeka basically sold itself to a corporation for fast internet? Blech. No offense but we might as well name our country The United States of Starbucks.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    "Everyone has a price"

Name that movie!

7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I'm so jealous of you right now. I normally get 4.2mbit max, but at the moment (for some reason) i'm down to 800kbit downstream and almost no upstream (less than 10kbit).

The funny thing is with that internet speed is if you manage to download at full speed your hard drives will become the bottleneck unless you have SSDs or RAID, which is pretty damned impressive.