• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google saves your location even with Location history turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Original article from AP:

https://apnews.com/828aefab64d4411bac257a07c1af0ecb

So, you have a thing called Location History, which you don't have to turn on. However, if you go to myactivity.google.com everything you've done in Maps is saved. You have to turn off Web and App activity for it to be properly off (and I haven't tried this soo).

Now, this isn't surprising, and one could argue that Location history is not the same thing as what is shown here, that LH is a convinience-thing, but practically it really is the same thing.

So what does it mean? Nothing much. Google owns you anyway.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
No it doesn't own me! I am not a number! :laugh:

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Even if you own an Apple phone, don't use Google Search or any Google products, if you ever replied to an email from someone who uses a gmail address, Google has hooks in you.

No it doesn't own me! I am not a number!
Sure you are. An IP number and a hash number. And they are actively seeking to learn more about you.

And people complain about Microsoft's privacy policy? :kookoo: :rolleyes: :kookoo:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Yeah, I wuz just messin' Bill. ;) I think ya missed the laughing icon at the end too, which helped clarify it.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Sure you are. An IP number and a hash number. And they are actively seeking to learn more about you.

You are being grossly over dramatic and flattering actually. They don't care to learn about you but rather about whoever sits behind the device using it.

Even if you own an Apple phone, don't use Google Search or any Google products, if you ever replied to an email from someone who uses a gmail address, Google has hooks in you.

They have hooks in you ? Sorry, that sounds like paranoia if anything, though if you were again exaggerating or joking, excuse me.

The more I hear about google, the less appealing it appears to me.

I'm gonna switch all my accounts to my protonmail and leave my old gmail account to die.

I'll buy a Windows Phone and hope it has less telemetry.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
The more I hear about google, the less appealing it appears to me.

I'm gonna switch all my accounts to my protonmail and leave my old gmail account to die.

both are just about the same at default settings....but with the will comes the way to stop it too.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
You're dreaming. Think of the invasive telemetry baked into Windows 10.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
They don't care to learn about you but rather about whoever sits behind the device using it.
LOL
They have hooks in you ? Sorry, that sounds like paranoia if anything, though if you were again exaggerating or joking, excuse me.
No, I am not being paranoid. I accepted a long time ago that if I use the Internet, I give up much of my privacy. If you go back and look at some of my posts throughout this site, I am not one to install layer upon layer of security programs (separate anti-keyloggers, for example). I was commenting about how some members on this site and elsewhere seem to think Google is more trustworthy, in terms of protecting our privacy, than other entities - like Microsoft (as we just witnessed above! :kookoo: ), 1.1.1.1, etc.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

And people complain about Microsoft's privacy policy? :kookoo::rolleyes::kookoo:

At least Microsoft is primarily just a tech company, as they've always been. It's not a "front", like Google.

Assuming one is defined by what one actually sells and is the most lucrative at (in this case, it's Google's own users that are for sale).

Well, imagine my shock. Who wants to bet most of Google's privacy buttons and controls literally do nothing? Who's vetting Google anyway whether they actually collect or do not collect certain data and sell it to the highest bidder? And when they get caught, they just say it was an "unfortunate bug". Unfortunate my ass, only thing unfortunate was that they got caught.

As for the Microsoft situation, people are paranoid about it, but Microsoft primarily still sells products. They don't have to sell users to make profit. The telemetry they do, while it can carry user data as part of it, they aren't focused and obsessed over it like Google whose sole purpose is to sell our data to make money. So, you can call Microsoft a "lesser" evil. In all honesty, I'd trust Microsoft with my data more than Google. And I used to love Google. Now I can't stand it.

Only thing I'm really still using from Google is Android because there is frankly no alternative (and I hate Apple just the same). I'm blocking all the analytics and not using their apps and that's about as much as I can do on Android...

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
This is one of those things where I don't know if I'm jaded or if it really just doesn't matter.

On principle, it's a problem. Slippery slope isn't a huge fallacy here - if they are allowed to get away with things like this now, then what will they be doing later, when we've become completely detached and our information systems grow even more complex and cryptically interconnected? It's a legitimate ethical concern. It's just shady.

And that aside, if the information they're taking from our usage is a commodity to them... ...a way for them to make money, then we should have some say in whether or not we want to hand it over, especially in those cases where we're already paying for a product or service. It aught to belong to us by right. I understand that the services they provide have value to people and maybe that's the exchange on the user end. I just feel like we should have ways to show what it's actually worth to us rather than sort of being forced to cough up our information. If we could truly opt out of this stuff, the market would show the true value of their services and they'd either be able to keep going with only the information that however many people choose to allow access to, or they'd lose out big due to the large number of people who probably wouldn't consent, lol.

And that could honestly go either way. If they were up-front about crap like this, like they were absolutely 100% clear about what they were doing and what you were signing up for rather than being underhanded about it - and there was a way to clearly see it all, people might actually trust them enough to accept it. They may not be so averse to the idea, which in itself is not entirely unreasonable. As it is now, people are taking part in this semi-unwitting, begrudging, poorly-obfuscated exchange... ...the exchange itself might not be such a problem if it is out in the open. But when someone is hiding their actions and telling you it's nothing... ...yeah, that looks bad.

One thing I will say, awareness and oversight are much needed here. A lot of people still haven't caught onto the idea that we've been fully integrated into an age of free-flowing information for quite some time now, and that there are implications that we all need to consider and answer to going forward. It might be important later. Some people will be for it. Others will always be against it. All of this needs to be a factor. Right now it's more like anything goes and the real conversations still aren't happening. The line between "private" and "public" information is unclear right now. It's a whole new paradigm for humanity and it is going to take some hashing-out and getting used to. Gotta find an appropriate line for everyone and really etch it out, legally and culturally.

But then, personally I'm also not too paranoid about what they're doing, now. Later, I may be, but so far as I can tell, the information going around now, to me is worthless and likely cannot harm me. I don't so much consider it private as I do "not openly known." I just don't care if advertisers scoop up dirt on me and use it to try to sell me stuff. I generally ignore the ads I see, anyway. I research my purchases and very rarely do I buy something because it popped into my head. They're gonna have to get a lot more creative before they figure out ways to use that information to get me to actually buy anything, anyway.

In a lot of ways, this is a very old practice. Rewards cards from retail stores are a prime example, though at least with those you sign up, even if you don't realize what you're signing up for.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Probably viewing this page in Chrome...(Can’t say much myself, currently viewing in Safari...¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
There was a time when I cared about this.

Today I can't. I don't do social media at all. I browse on the internet and I'm sure there is logged traffic. Just like there are logs everywhere of every bit of system activity. We use services on devices that are placed elsewhere so you just know that its possible the activity is logged.

That is really all it is. I can't be bothered. Big data helps us, and it also scares us - we are learning right now, in this day & age, how to act and deal with big data. And we make mistakes... so be it. As long as they don't directly damage me or my interests, and so far they haven't, I don't care. Let us make mistakes and learn from it. This is why I applaud things like the GDPR in Europe - its proof of us learning things.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
As for the Microsoft situation, people are paranoid about it, but Microsoft primarily still sells products. They don't have to sell users to make profit. The telemetry they do, while it can carry user data as part of it, they aren't focused and obsessed over it like Google whose sole purpose is to sell our data to make money. So, you can call Microsoft a "lesser" evil. In all honesty, I'd trust Microsoft with my data more than Google. And I used to love Google. Now I can't stand it.
Great points.

Sadly, many do not understand the difference between security and privacy. Microsoft is NOT trying to steal your passwords, contacts, real name, billing information, or even your physical location. If you connect via Ethernet, the closest MS knows of you physical location is your PoP (point of presence), where your ISP connects you to the Internet backbone. In my case, that is 10 miles away in the next town over!

Google, OTOH, wants your genuine information so they can sell it, and use it to target ads for more revenue. And your cell phone provider? They know everything about you! :fear:

I'm not really worried about my cell phone provider. They already have all my info because I'm their monthly paying customer. Meaning, they are already making money on me with the service. Them knowing my location is basically same situation as Microsoft's. Telemetry. They kinda need to know things to keep customers happy, be it bandwidth or signal reception quality. But isn't their primary function. Google on the other hand doesn't need to know where exactly you live. Apps, like weather apps do, but that's none of Google's damn business. Except it is because they are a cyber hamsters, hoarding as much data as possible.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Them knowing my location is basically same situation as Microsoft's.
No where close! As I said, with an Ethernet connected PC all Microsoft knows is your PoP. And they don't know your real name or street address or have any of your billing information. If you connect via wifi, they might see pretty close your physical location (if you have location services enabled) but that's it.

Your cell carrier knows your real name, real address, credit information and billing information. But they also know where you have been. They know within a few feet where you are standing, including which aisle of the store you are standing in! :eek: And they know which direction you are heading, and how fast you are traveling. They know who you have texted and talked to too, plus your surfing habits. There's just no comparison to Microsoft.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
protonmail

Thanks for this mention. I just signed up for an account.

No, I am not being paranoid. I accepted a long time ago that if I use the Internet, I give up much of my privacy.

^^THIS^^

If they have the power to harvest your information, (whoever 'they' are) They will, and are, doing it. This goes for corporations as well as your government. Medical companies are harvesting DATA to use in denying insurance to those of us that are high-risk. (DNA services that analyze your ancestry DNA are selling other info to them)

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
There is no escape from surveillance by either of the tech gods like Google, Microsoft, FB etc..
Legislators think an industry can self regulate with matters of personal privacy when $ profits & market share are the biggest concepts to worship in this life according to them?

Even Trump came out and criticized MS SM run by big tech gods like Google etc... > Link

They don't smarten up, regulations will be forced on them.

Further proof of MS censoring so called "free speech", they look a bit like Google with there left wing bias. Come to think of it, seems like all the silicon valley giants are into controlling the world...

MS_censorship.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.