• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Stadia closing down

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Good.

Now got to do the same for all gaming as a service nonsense.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
lmao

I remember the constant pushing Google had to do at launch to re-assure customers this wouldn't be something they would close. I honestly can't believe Google is as successful as they are, like 90% of the programs they have created have shuttered. :roll:

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
lmao

I remember the constant pushing Google had to do at launch to re-assure customers this wouldn't be something they would close. I honestly can't believe Google is as successful as they are, like 90% of the programs they have created have shuttered. :roll:
All that money they get selling our data and government (CIA) contracts to work against third party states and their own people is a real money maker.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Good.

Gaming as a service isn't a bad idea IMO. How do you feel about the video streaming services? Music streaming? Considering how much a gaming PC cost and the cost of games streaming games makes a lot of sense.
lmao

Apparently the way to promotion at Google is to do new and cool things, and so that is everything they are interested in. Once the new thing is out it's time to move on to the next new thing. Maintaining things and follow through on new stuff isn't cool or sexy. The exception is of course their ad business, because that is what they are.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Streaming is trash, end of it. I don't have streaming service besides Amazon prime only because I buy tons of crap from Amazon. Their service sucks in terms of movies available unless I want to watch a Kirk Douglas movie from 50 years ago.

I can go into the technical of the limitations of it and how you will own nothing in the end, but who cares, falls on deaf ears anyway.

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
Never trust Google in long term. They always abandon things and make another things that they will drop again

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
All that money they get selling our data and government (CIA) contracts to work against third party states and their own people is a real money maker.
You mean advertisers I think. Google really doesn't make money on the above. It's not facebook (it tried that, and failed).

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)

Gaming as a Service has its place and certainly isn't going away.

I will point out that not everyone is gaming on a PC or even a console. And many are casual gamers.

Most gaming revenue comes from mobile these days and many games can be enjoyed via cloud gaming which alleviates the need for gigabyte-sized downloads (even Minecraft is nearly 1 GB).

To wish for GaaS to go away shows a distinct lack of awareness of a large segment of the gaming world and the trends that consumers are following.

Remember that streaming is just an online convenience that replaced the physical delivery method of years past. The basic concept isn't much different than checking out books and CDs from the library, the original Netflix (DVDs by mail) or video rental stores.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
lmao

I have Google videos I can’t watch after paying for, MSN Music I can’t listen to after they shut down. DRM, SAAS and other cloud ideas are retarded, all they have done is encourage me to become a great pirate.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Streaming is trash, end of it. I don't have streaming service besides Amazon prime only because I buy tons of crap from Amazon. Their service sucks in terms of movies available unless I want to watch a Kirk Douglas movie from 50 years ago.

I can go into the technical of the limitations of it and how you will own nothing in the end, but who cares, falls on deaf ears anyway.

Not owning it, as in not having to buy it, is entirely the point.
I have Google videos I can’t watch after paying for, MSN Music I can’t listen to after they shut down. DRM, SAAS and other cloud ideas are retarded, all they have done is encourage me to become a great pirate.

So you roll your own email?

Next is the EGS. Even Epic must get tired of burning money getting nowhere.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Not owning it, as in not having to buy it, is entirely the point.

Some people don't understand that they don't need to own things forever.

Let's say I watch some NOVA episode on PBS about black holes. Often, I can buy the episode on DVD and own it forever. Or I can hope for a rerun. Or I can watch the episode online. If I donate to my local PBS station, I gain access to PBS Passport which is a larger archive of online content with access dates beyond the regular online content.

Not everyone needs to keep everything they own. Hell, I have audio CDs from the early Nineties that I probably haven't listed to in twenty years. Every five years I go through my bookshelves and donate titles I no longer have any interest in keeping.

In the end, everyone dies and everything you leave behind will be someone else's duty to go through.

That black hole DVD? Maybe it'll be interesting for the next person. Maybe it won't. Five, ten, twenty years from now, there might be additional scientific discoveries that make part of that black hole documentary out of date.

Let's say I bought Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo on VHS in the early Eighties. How badly do I still want that? Or the DVD from the Nineties? Or the 1080p Blu-ray from the 2000s? Great film, one of my favorites, I always want to have it available. Do I need a physical copy though anymore? I'm not terribly sure about that.

Once upon a time in a stereo cabinet far far away... I owned Star Wars on Laserdisc. Long gone even though I still love the film.

But nobody loves everything they see forever and ever.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

I have stream services I use, such as Netflix and Discovery+ (there are others that I use, but I just share/use my family's passwords for Disney+ and so on). I don't purchase anything digital anymore that's solely on a streaming service; the only thing this applies to is games for me (never purchased movies for a digital library such as you can do on Amazon Prime).

I know that Playstation recently lost rights to some movie/shows and folks that did pay for them no longer have access to the movies. I always knew that would happen so I never put my faith into buying movies for streaming only.

I stopped using Steam as a place to purchase games 3 or so years ago when they pushed out their broken UI changes and after months and months of constant issues not getting fixed I said screw you and I haven't supported Valve since. Any games I've picked up have strictly been on GoG so I can download them and install them at a later time when I see fit. I'd hate to see Steam have some kind of melt down and anything I have on there lost to the digital graveyard.

This is one of the reasons why I miss the physical copies of games. Sadly, this seems to be the direction that movies are going, too. I used to be able to go into my local Target and browse 3 to 4 large shelves of DVDs/Blu-Ray movies. I liked to stock up on cheaper movies (under $10) and get a handful a month, add them to my Plex server so they're at my fingertips when I want to watch them. Now when I go into my local Target stores there's one or two small standing displays that can holds maybe 3 or 4 dozen different movies of recently releases and that's about it. Best Buy's movie sections have dwindled as well, just a fraction of its former glory.

I'm not sad to see Stadia go.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Gaming as a service isn't a bad idea IMO. How do you feel about the video streaming services? Music streaming? Considering how much a gaming PC cost and the cost of games streaming games makes a lot of sense.
I hate them just as much as I hate gaming as a service. Things on my PC are mine. Things in the cloud can be taken away from me without any notice.

Some people don't understand that they don't need to own things forever.

Let's say I watch some NOVA episode on PBS about black holes. Often, I can buy the episode on DVD and own it forever. Or I can hope for a rerun. Or I can watch the episode online. If I donate to my local PBS station, I gain access to PBS Passport which is a larger archive of online content with access dates beyond the regular online content.

Not everyone needs to keep everything they own. Hell, I have audio CDs from the early Nineties that I probably haven't listed to in twenty years. Every five years I go through my bookshelves and donate titles I no longer have any interest in keeping.

In the end, everyone dies and everything you leave behind will be someone else's duty to go through.

That black hole DVD? Maybe it'll be interesting for the next person. Maybe it won't. Five, ten, twenty years from now, there might be additional scientific discoveries that make part of that black hole documentary out of date.

Let's say I bought Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo on VHS in the early Eighties. How badly do I still want that? Or the DVD from the Nineties? Or the 1080p Blu-ray from the 2000s?

But nobody loves everything they see forever and ever.
When you own that black hole DVD, you can watch it again any time you want without having to pay anything a second time.

Case Apple proprietary
When you own that black hole DVD, you can watch it again any time you want without having to pay anything a second time.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of PBS episodes are available online for free. The presence of a physical DVD guarantees that I won't. I've been watching science programs since I was a little kid and I can count on one hand the number of episodes from 20-30 years ago that I would still like to rewatch.

And again the point is that there is content that people don't necessarily need/want to own. In fact, most content that people consume falls in this category.

I listen to a terrestrial classical radio station frequently. Once a year, they broadcast something that I think I might want to own. I can go visit their website, view the playlist and often they will have a link to where I can purchase a physical audio CD.

But most of my time, I am fine just listening to their broadcast.

A lot of people will play a video game once or twice and then move on. Does it make more sense to shell out $60 for Cyberpunk 2077 or to wait for it so show up on Xbox Game Pass for a few months as part of your regular monthly subscription?

Going back to the most important point, not everyone needs to own everything forever. That's why there are GaaS options as well as music and video streaming services. That's why there were video rental stores for a time.

Do you buy property every time you go on vacation or do you rent a room at a hotel/AirBnB/whatever?

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Since some of you are incapable of understanding the situation I'll give a name of a title for you:

Crono Cross on PS online.

That is a great example of why always online and not owning your own game is a problem. But I know the mental gymnastics of a response I'll get "but but but not all companies are like that" or "its only 1 title!"

Yeah, there are other examples. I don't need to hold your hand.

As for streaming services, I wonder, how will you mod the game? You are in middle of game and they decide they will remove the game from library before you get chance to finish it?

If you guys are fine owning nothing and just spend more over time having to pay monthly fees for something, all the power to you. Why own a home when you can simply rent?

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Maybe, maybe not. A lot of PBS episodes are available online for free. The presence of a physical DVD guarantees that I won't. I've been watching science programs since I was a little kid and I can count on one hand the number of episodes from 20-30 years ago that I would still like to rewatch.

And again the point is that there is content that people don't necessarily need/want to own. In fact, most content that people consume falls in this category.

I listen to a terrestrial classical radio station frequently. Once a year, they broadcast something that I think I might want to own. I can go visit their website, view the playlist and often they will have a link to where I can purchase a physical audio CD.

A lot of people will play a video game once or twice and then move on. Does it make more sense to shell out $60 for Cyberpunk 2077 or to wait for it so show up on Xbox Game Pass for a few months as part of your regular monthly subscription?

Going back to the most important point, not everyone needs to own everything forever.
For me, that's what youtube is for. I couldn't imagine my present life without channels like PBS Space Time, or Cool Worlds. :) But I also can't imagine myself not owning my favourite films in a physical (blu-ray) copy.

Game subscriptions are a thing for people who play every game once then move on. I only play a select few titles, but don't mind playing them again and again from time to time.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Streaming has its place, much like broadcast TV and radio. But there is also value in having consistent access to a piece of media one values highly, rather than hoping the licensing agreement to X streaming service doesn't expire, or the rights don't move to a new entity entirely. How stupid would it be if the new publisher of your favorite book (that you own in print) could come by and remove it from your possession because they decided to remove previous editions from circulation?

System Name Windows | Linux
Processor 14900KS | 7950X3D
Motherboard Z790 Apex Encore | X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Arctic LF III 420 | Noctua NH-D15
Memory 48GB 8200 CL38 | 64GB 6200 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 | RX 7900XTX
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Asus PA602 | Antec P101s
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Prime TX-850
Software Win 11 Pro | Debian
Benchmark Scores They suck.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you need to already own the game you wanted to play on Stadia, or GeForce Now?

In other words, you were just paying to use their hardware to play game you owned?

Case Apple proprietary
Streaming has its place, much like broadcast TV and radio. But there is also value in having consistent access to a piece of media one values highly, rather than hoping the licensing agreement to X streaming service doesn't expire, or the rights don't move to a new entity entirely. How stupid would it be if the new publisher of your favorite book (that you own in print) could come by and remove it from your possession because they decided to remove previous editions from circulation?

Google agrees. To their credit they are refunding Stadia subscribers.

No one here is saying that ownership of content is invalid. The point which many, many people still can't understand is that Joe Consumer doesn't want to keep most of their content.

That's the way human brains are wired. You can't really remember everything. Who would want to? The number of scratches in a subway car door from 17 years ago? That squirrel your car nearly hit on [insert date]?

You can still buy games.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you need to already own the game you wanted to play on Stadia, or GeForce Now?

In other words, you were just paying to use their hardware to play game you owned?
Yes.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
You will own nothing and be happy, mwahahasaaaha.

Not.

Those of the opinion PC Mr is dead and we're alllllll set for game streaming just got schooooled yo.

Don't let that door hit you on the way out :D

The only thing I would stream is TV n movies. ...............

Case Apple proprietary

I believe both services offer a limited number of free games, typically free-to-play games like Destiny 2, Valorant, Apex Legends, etc. Naturally they want some magnet content to let people try the service before committing to paying for it.

GeForce NOW mostly replicates your synced libraries (Steam, Epic Game Store, whatever) so yes, you have to own the games you play on the service. And GeForce NOW doesn't have the entire universe on games available to play via their service.

These two services are not all-you-can-eat buffets.

Apple Arcade doesn't include every single game on the Apple App Store either. It's a curated collection of select titles. To my knowledge, Apple Arcade does not rotate in popular titles for a limited stay. The subscription does remove in-app advertising and pop-ups for in-app purchases. Also, Apple Arcade titles can be played offline.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Judging by how Sony's upcoming release is also an external Disk Drive so that their digital only machine now has access to physical copy of games, gives me indication that physical media is still in much higher demand than people thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.