• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gpu fan idle-off

Processor i5-4690K @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB G.Skill DDR3 12800
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 660 TI 2GB PE/OC
Storage 125gb SSD, 256gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1tb HDD, 2tb HDD
Display(s) Acer G235HAbd 23"
Case Corsair C70 Vengeance
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 3
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10x64 Pro
im looking at buying a 1660TI in the near future, specifically this one https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_1660_Ti_Gaming_X/32.html
per the review, the card comes with fan idle-off under a certain temp, which by most accounts is a popular feature.

is this something that's hard-set in the gpu's bios or can it be changed/disabled with a custom fan curve with afterburner or similar tools? i dont mind a little bit of noise, and would gladly trade that to have a little extra airflow over the heatsink for lower idle temps.

obliged.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
is this something that's hard-set in the gpu's bios or can it be changed/disabled with a custom fan curve with afterburner or similar tools?
I don’t imagine the Turings are any different than prior models. An Afterburner fan curve has always overridden the idle off feature, thus leaving fans on at lower end of fan curve.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
IMO you could save a few bucks getting the Ventus version - The fan on it doesnt stop while in idle and they are both within 1-2'c difference under load. Might be a slight bit noisy on the ventus but i really doubt by a whole lot since the cooler on the ventus seems based off the gaming X design. They probably OC about the same too since they are power limited.

Just save yourself a few bucks. The cooler on the gaming X is way over engineered for the 1660Ti. Unless you prefer the look of the Gaming X, thats a lot of money for the sake of cosmetics.

MSI introduced this feature in 2008 and most of the AIB cards followed suite with the pxx series. Unless water cooled, we choose this option on every build. You can disable it .... don't understand why you would want to. As far as any GPU, CPU or any other chip goes, you want to keep the temps below the point where throttling affects performance; you don't get "bonus points" for being lower. Without the feature, your card would be under 30C or so at idle (note it's only 35C at full load) which is just a teeny bit above typical interior case air temps.

Here's the starts on the two cards:

Measurement: Ventus / Gaming X
Avg. Power When Gaming (Watts) : 117 / 134
Peak Power When Gaming (Watts) : 123 / 141
Temp. @ Load (Degrees C) : 68 / 67
Temp. @ Load + OC (Degrees C) : 68 / 68
Noise @ Idle (dbA) : 29 / 0
Noise @ Load (dbA) : 35 / 32 (Ventus is 23% louder)
Core (OC'd): 2002 / 2045
Memory (OC'd): 18890 /1900
FPS (OC'd): 96,9 / 99.0
GPU VRM: 4-phase (UPI uP9512S controller) / 4-phase (OnSemi NCP81610 controller
Memory VRM: 2-phas (UPI uP1666Q) / 2-phase(UPI uP1666Q)
Memory: Micron model D9WCR (MT61K256M32JE-12:A) @ 1500 MHz (12 Gbps GDDR6 effective) for both
GPU: TU116-400-A1 for both
Backplate: Plastic / Metal
Slots: 2 for both
Connectivity: (3) DP 1.4a and (1) HDMI 2.0b for both
Power cables: 8-pin 225 watts (150 cable, 75 PCI-E Slot) for both
Heat Pipes: (1) Double Length / (3)
Memory Cooling: None / Baeplate
VRM Cooling: Small Heatsink / Base[plate
Newegg Price: $279 / $309

Last edited:
AFAIK, as rtwjunkie says, you can set a custom fan curve in many overclocking/tweaking apps like Afterburner and it will spin the fans at idle if you set it to do so.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
You can disable it .... don't understand why you would want to.
You’d be surprised. There are many of us that do it, here on this forum. It’s easier to keep the temps out of the stratosphere when it is being actively cooled. Some of the idle off features don’t stop staying idle till temps are 50 or more. At that point, there is not a lot of room before modern cards start throttling. My experience is when you get ahead of it, that rarely happens.

Last edited:
MSI introduced this feature in 2008 and most of the AIB cards followed suite with the 9xx series. Unless water cooled, we choose this option on every build. You can disable it, by using MSI Afterburner utility though don't understand why anyone would ever want to. As far as any GPU, CPU or any other chip goes, you want to keep the temps below the point where throttling affects performance; you don't get "bonus points" for it being lower. Without the feature, your card would be under 30C or so at idle which is just a teeny bit above typical interior case air temps. Note it's only 35C at full load.

You’d be surprised. There are many of us that do it, here on this forum. It’s easier to keep the temps out of the stratosphere when it is being actively cooled. Some of the odle off features don’t stop staying idle till temps are 50 or more. At that point, there is not a lot of room before modern cards start throttling. My experience is when you get ahead of it, that rarely happens.

1. I have a hard time associating mid to upper 60's the "stratosphere". At full load the card is at 67C

2. With recent cards w/ Boost 3, this seems to be more of an effect imposed by power throttling rather than temperature.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/30.html
"These are very good results, but the GTX 1080 seems to be limited by the board's power limit and temperatures going above 83°C, "

With the 1660 Ti's max power on AIB cards sitting at around 150 watts, one would thing that the power delivery's circuitry capable of 225 watts, this wouldn't be an issue.

3. What card in a series you are using has an impact here. Note the FE throttles badly, the MSI Gaming X is a straight line.
https://videocardz.com/60838/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-is-much-better-than-founders-edition

My thinking is that when we talk about the logic of putting fan speeds up, the logic stems from the slight "stepdowns" you see on the blue line in left pic depending on the card, these are even and run from 12-13 depending on the card. To put in perspective though, you really have to look out how small that is on the right. That 2st step down is immeditely upon starting usage.... temps are in low 50s.... the 2nd is at about 63-64. So here's the questions:

a) If the game is putting such a low load on the card that it's barely above idle temps with fans off (50C) , do you really need that extra 12 Mhz... is it actually going to impact game play ?
b) If the game is driving the temps to 63-64C you can be 100% sure that the fans have kicked on.

So what those graphs are telling us is that at the 1st drop, the game load is so low, the card obviously doesn't need that 12 Mhz and with the 2nd drop, the fans are already on and at just 3C away fro max temp.

c) I also suspect, that as often as not, if ya set your OCs for max fps instead of max stable core / memory, you can avoid those .... that's why the test results show bigger fps, because the limiters are not in play just yet

4. I have seen some posters who tested test their cards with water and noted that when they kept their cards in the mid 40s, they were able to maintain higher clocks with boost 3. Have not tested it myself, the air cooled boxes are generally on mid 60s to mid 70s at max load w/ OC and the WC cards never go above 39C to 42C. No matter what ya do with the curves, you're not getting into the 40s on air and even with fans off I can't get into 60s on water.

5. The other thing I touched on above is that max core OC / memory OC is not the goal as it doesn't get you the highest fps. You will notice if ya look into the details on Wiz's reviews that the fastest core / faster memory OC's never result in the max OC fps wise. Looking at the TPU 2080 Ti testing (7 cards with Micron memory) for example, the Zotac hit the highest average boost core (2145) OC was 4th place in fps; the Asus hit the highest memory (2065) OC was 3rd place in fps. The fps winner, was the MSI Gaming Trio w/ 2,085 / 2005 OCs, I set up a Matrix in a spreadsheet each time and will have starting point of 1450 and go up by +25 in each columns to 1650, then on memory start at 1850 and go to 2050 in the rows. In my experience, I'll get the best fps about 2/3 - 3/4 across the columns and down the rows.... never at the max stable core / max stable memory numbers.

Unfortunately, since the nVidia cards have gotten so efficient, and as a result no need for excessive fan speeds.... sound levels of 35 dbA or so don't warrant an investment in water GFX card cooling for most folks. I'll give it a shot on next build but no planned builds till May, Meanwhile, would be a great TPU article.

Last edited:
Processor i5-4690K @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB G.Skill DDR3 12800
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 660 TI 2GB PE/OC
Storage 125gb SSD, 256gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1tb HDD, 2tb HDD
Display(s) Acer G235HAbd 23"
Case Corsair C70 Vengeance
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 3
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10x64 Pro
thanks for the replies.

aesthetics aside, i think i prefer the cooler on the gamingX over the ventus's solid block of milled aluminum. over-engineered or not, the heat-pipe & fin stack is what i have on my current MSI 660TI so it's what im familiar with.
it *does* make me realize i overlooked something very important, the 1660TIs have no DVI output, and my monitor has no HDMI/DP input, which will be a problem. but staying at 1080p or making the jump to a 1440 or 144hz and splurge on a RTX2060 is way off topic

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I don’t imagine the Turings are any different than prior models. An Afterburner fan curve has always overridden the idle off feature, thus leaving fans on at lower end of fan curve.

In this instance of uncertainty he can return the card within 2 weeks-30 days.

thanks for the replies.

aesthetics aside, i think i prefer the cooler on the gamingX over the ventus's solid block of milled aluminum. over-engineered or not, the heat-pipe & fin stack is what i have on my current MSI 660TI so it's what im familiar with.
it *does* make me realize i overlooked something very important, the 1660TIs have no DVI output, and my monitor has no HDMI/DP input, which will be a problem. but staying at 1080p or making the jump to a 1440 or 144hz and splurge on a RTX2060 is way off topic

Just get a HDMI/DP to DVI adapter.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
thanks for the replies.

Meh. each to their own... I have a big windowed side panel on my case but i dont spend hours staring into it, Im more focused on what's going on, on my monitor but potato poh-tah-toh. If I can save a buck with almost negligible difference in performance (which is whats been proven here....) providing the cheaper solution isnt just downright ugly then thats more money for beer or something nicer for dinner.

Enjoy your purchase.

Vyvorante

I didn't know that the Ventus didn't have idle-stop and being that i bought it used I thought there was something wrong with it I contacted MSI tech support and after about 6 or 7 back and forths explaining and trying to get answers he apparently didn't know that either so i had accidentally installed the wrong 1660 ti vbios and the fan seemed "normal" but I felt like there was something wrong because it was getting hot to quickly I had already discovered that it was before I installed the wrong bios but to be on the safe side I rechecked the vbios and sure enough it was the wrong bios but... thats not what was making the heat issue so I eventually found the right bios and flashed it but the fans were running on idle still and i was confused until I saw this blog "the ventus fans do not have idle-stop" so i was like, oh wow brain fart so the conclusion i guess what I am getting at is , if you want your 1660 ti ventus to stop on idle you can try and replace it with another type of 1660 ti bios possibly that is not a ventus like i did but I wouldn't recommend it. I did however replaced the thermal paste with frostbite 2 and its definitely staying frosty I would definitely advise that even if its new the warranty sticker does not void the warranty I already found that out through Evga and MSI so don't sweat it