• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU fans spinning up and down without reason

This is an issue i am having for about a week now. The GPU( Palit GameRock RTX2080) fans spin up, then down, then up, and so on.
As you can see in the clip above, temperatures are fine <70ºC. It only happens in games and other 3D applications, and it is loud at 3000 rpm.
I have had the GPU since October last year, the system is clean of dust as i dust it every 3 months or so and the case has dust filters.
It had the same behaivour on an Z370 board and on my new B450 board.

Things i tried:
- reinstall Windows
- an older driver version(used DDU)
- installed MSI Afterburner and set a custom curve and a fixed rpm
- uninstalled MSI Afterburner and RTSS
- tested in Valley bench, Borderlands 2, ArmA 3 and Dirt Rally 2.0
- switched from BIOS 1 to BIOS 2 and back

WTF is going on ? i never seen anything like it, if a GPU is hot it spins up and stays there until a low temperature is reached, it dose not bounce like that.
I will try a very old driver, 3xx or whatever the oldest RTX 2080 driver i can find when i get home and uninstall GeForce Experience.
Did you experience something simmilar, how did you fix it ? Thanks.

A month too late, but i forgot to update this thread. I RMA'ed the card, and got a refund, no explanation on the defect, but i`m pretty sure it was the fan controller chip.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
A month too late, but i forgot to update this thread. I RMA'ed the card, and got a refund, no explanation on the defect, but i`m pretty sure it was the fan controller chip.

Youre not the only 1 to have had this problem, i told others to rma the card and it didnt matter if it was a 2060 or 2080ti.

Either its the fan controller or temp sensor on the chip