1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU For my laptop wanna change.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Banditoss, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Banditoss New Member

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

2. krusha03

krusha03

Thanks Received:
    What is the maker and model of your laptop? not every laptop supports changing of the VGA and even if possible you need to find out which ones are compatible wrt to cooling and bios.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    You might not be able to upgrade it. You may need to buy a new laptop.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    It may not be worth the hastle and money for just one game. Even if you could upgrade the graphics card, it may not have suitable cooling, thus will throttle and under-perform meaning you may not even be able to play the game anyway.

You could always build your own gaming PC - there is some good budget options out there now.

Layton

5. Banditoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its an Toshiba Satelite model
    [QUOTE=

6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    We'd need to know more than that. Is there a model number on the bottom?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    I believe that GPU and the Toshiba's in general do not support MXM ports (I could be wrong but I seem to remember that) so if thats the case it is not possible to upgrade it. Post your specific model number and we can confirm this.

8. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    He already said it's Toshiba Satellite. That means that GPU is soldered to motherboard (no matter which model is it), and therefore it's impossible to replace it.
    So yeah, you have to buy a new laptop if the game seems unplayable with your current hardware (which is more than powerful in my opinion).

9. Banditoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dunno i played the free weekend once should i just upgrade my ram to 16 and an ssd in it?

10. Banditoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fps was shit but maybe i dunno i had to play with the settings

11. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    i have a 7670m in my dell, its soldered to the board. there is some help, you can overclock it. check out my gpuz for what i've been able to gain...

fyi, stock is 600mhz core, and 900mhz memory, i'm using msi afterburner and running 14.4 catalyst

overclocked 7670m.gif

xvi says thanks.
  12. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    Nah, that won't change anything. If you get unplayable framerate (even on the lowest settings @ 1280x720), there's nothing you can do. Overclocking won't give you even 5% of rendering speed boost, and you need something around 80% from the looks of it (I assume you're watching a 15 FPS slideshow, while the playable experience is achieved at 23.999).

13. Banditoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    When i do that would it improve much and how do i overclocked can my laptop gpu being burned?

14. Banditoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you run it tell me that i can run it ob low not on high

15. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    well you overclock, do small steps and check your temps along the way.

with my dell, it only has one heatsink and two heatpipes (one cpu and one gpu) and the thing never gets above 73C, just when you are gaming make sure you elevate it a little to get extra airflow.

as far as arma3, can't help you there, don't have the game.

i'll tell you though, overclocking made a big difference for me. dirt3 1080p went from 40~ fps at medium to 40~fps maxed out...

battlefield 3 at 1080p medium at unplayable to now its at least 30+ at medium after overclock...

most games it let me play at good settings at 1080p (thats my laptops native)

16. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    Dude, you're giving him a false hope right now. There's a difference between being able to run the game @ 1080p/Low and not being able to run it at all. In second case, OCing is useless.
    OP, If you really think that you can double the performance of your 7670M by adding few megahertz to Core Clock value, fine, go for it. Download the latest MSI Afterburner Beta, add 25 MHz to "Core" value, run the game, repeat 'till your screen freezes or you catch a BSOD (it's absolutely safe, the thermal output goes up only slightly and cannot harm anything). You can do the same thing to memory (you should probably just add 100 MHz once and then stop). For example, if you started with 600 MHz @ Core & 1800/900 MHz @ Memory, you should be able to get approximately 700 MHz @ Core and 2000/1000 MHz @ Memory. That's it. Your few percents of boost. Again, not much point, ARMA 3 is super heavy in terms of GPU utilization. If 7670M wasn't enough, it will never be no matter what you do.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  17. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

insane 360 says thanks.
  18. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    wasn't trying to give him false hope, and never said twice the performance. just my experience...i would think i got around a ~20% improvement in my fps...like i said, it makes games that had some stutter/dropped frames, play better at the same resolution. i have no idea how arma3 would be. its something he could do for free and just see if it would help him out.

19. Banditoss New Member

Thanks Received: