• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU hardware problem

55blader

Hello
My girlfriend called me last night desperate that she can't play one of her games and that her computer restarts (I thought it was overheating). Then even the monitor was no longer responding when she powered on the comp, it goes straight into stand-by. I went to her today and cleaned it well and it worked, including the monitor, windows, everything. In the first phase it worked, then it was overheating again. I opened it and took the plate down and I observed that the cooler on the GPU was blocked into something and does not rotate at all so I took it down and cleaned it very well also and when I put it back all together exactly as before there wasnt any response at all and now the monitor goes straight into stand-by as before. Any suggestions?
Thanks

PS: sorry for my bad english :D

Processor i7-9700
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) msi 1080
Storage Samsung SSD 850 pro 2TB+1tb hdd 7200rpm+ 1tb 970pro
Software Mageia 6 + Windows 10
Try another vga card, but before that make a bios reset(take out the bios battery for 5 minutes with power cord off from powerline),after that if still not working try another vga...

55blader

Well, I took one of my old VGAs with me today, but it will not fit. I think mine is AGP and she has a PCI one, not so sure. My old VGA was an Nvidia FX 5500 and she has an ATI x1550. Is this the problem?

Processor i7-9700
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) msi 1080
Nvidia FX 5500 it is sure AGP,and if it is not fit , you need a pci-e vga card, also agp vs pci-e will not fit physical,at least, so don't try with that agp card anymore...

55blader

I don't have a PCI-E VGA close at hand so... assuming that the VGA works, what should I do? Reset Bios or what?

Processor i7-9700
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) msi 1080
Try to reset the bios first, I think the vga card it is dead...

55blader

I tried to do so today, but idk how much succes I had. I can't really say if I did reset the bios or didn't. My first time doing this. I did it like this:
power off, removing the battery from the mb and there were jumpers on the mb, including the reset one. So all I did was removing/putting them in place chaotically so idk what I really did and if the bios reset worked. And Google explain like easy-steps, not so well. If you could link me or explain me how to do a bios reset I'll be so grateful :D. Thanks a lot anyway for helping me out

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard ROG Crosshair VI
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 420 AIO
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3333 CL14
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron 480 GB
Display(s) Samsung 42" 1080p
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/johan45/
Pull the battery out of the board and move the clrtc jumper to the other pin. So pin 1 and 2 are covered by the jumper. After a few minutes put the jumper back to it's original position and put the battery back in. Mission complete. It does sound like a dead card though. Since it was plugged and the fan didn't spin probably overheated and died.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Just a stupid statement. POST THE SPECS OF HER SYSTEM.

55blader

Pull the battery out of the board and move the clrtc jumper to the other pin. So pin 1 and 2 are covered by the jumper. After a few minutes put the jumper back to it's original position and put the battery back in. Mission complete. It does sound like a dead card though. Since it was plugged and the fan didn't spin probably overheated and died.

It's the same problem as before cleaning it today. Let me explain in a chronological order:
- my gf called me that her computer restarts when she is trying to play something/watching a movie/etc;
- after that when she powered on her computer the monitor goes straight into stand-by mode and nothing appears on screen;
- today - I clean the components very well of dust and power it on - it magically works - enter windows, browse internet, etc, the only thing that it is in fact overheating;
- I observe that the cooling fan is blocked in some way by something (not a vga's component), so I take the cooling fan off and then I put it in it's place;
- powers on the pc - the monitor enters stand-by as before.
What do you think? Again, thanks for helping me out.

Just a stupid statement. POST THE SPECS OF HER SYSTEM.

I don't really know and I can't tell you right now because she doesn't know and I can't reach her place untill tomorrow. I know that her computer is quite ooooooooold (like 4-5-6 yo or longer, maybe) and that her VGA is an ATI X1550 PCI-E and I think that the processor is an Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz. Don't know for sure. Gigabyte mb, don't know which model.

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
You mean you removed the fan from the vga? All the wires are connected?

55blader

You mean you removed the fan from the vga? All the wires are connected?

Actually I didn't remove the wires, only removed the fan from the vga for a sec to clean it better and then I put it on the vga like before.

// So, I close the power supply on the pc, then take out the battery, then take out all the jumpers except the reset one which will take place on the first two pins. After that I will wait for five minutes, move the reset jumper to it's original place, put all the other jumpers back in place, the battery and then open up the power supply, power it on and that's it, right? I had to put it like this because my main language isn't english and I couldn't understand so well the steps.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Actually I didn't remove the wires, only removed the fan from the vga for a sec to clean it better and then I put it on the vga like before.

Can you see the fan is now spinning? Did you take off the heatsink along with it? (you would have seen the GPU chip with paste on it).

55blader

Can you see the fan is now spinning? Did you take off the heatsink along with it? (you would have seen the GPU chip with paste on it).

The fan isn't spinning. Yes, I know that it will be the same thing even if I make it to enter windows and work, but I only want to make that happen. Yes, thats what I did. But my 'intrusion' wasn't so big, only take it for five minutes to clean it off better then put it all together. Even the wires remained untouched, I only needed a little space to clean it better. Thats why I dont understand why is this happening. The keyboard leds powers up when she starts the pc, the cpu fan is working, the only thing is that her monitor enters stand-by just as before. I already explained the chronological order of the events above.

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
i think you killed the card, you could try fixing it again. make sure its all mounted properly and the gold fingers are clean.

also is she mad at you?

55blader

i think you killed the card, you could try fixing it again. make sure its all mounted properly and the gold fingers are clean.

also is she mad at you?

A little. You know, few days without facebook and other sites for her is like taking a lollipop from a child :laugh:
Killed it? Why? I only took the dust from the cooling fan, nothing else. I repeat: the wires remained untouched. I only needed few inches to clean it better.

55blader

// So, I close the power supply on the pc, then take out the battery, then take out all the jumpers except the reset one which will take place on the first two pins. After that I will wait for five minutes, move the reset jumper to it's original place, put all the other jumpers back in place, the battery and then open up the power supply, power it on and that's it, right? I had to put it like this because my main language isn't english and I couldn't understand so well the steps.

Anyways, turning back... this is how you reset a BIOS if I understood right, yes?

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
Yes it is. That's the way you do it. If you removed the Fan and heat sink from the chip, you have to reapply paste before you put it back on. Otherwise there isn't a good contact between the two and the heat doesn't transfer. Have you checked the CPU heatsink and fan is it plugged as well?

55blader

Yes it is. That's the way you do it. If you removed the Fan and heat sink from the chip, you have to reapply paste before you put it back on. Otherwise there isn't a good contact between the two and the heat doesn't transfer. Have you checked the CPU heatsink and fan is it plugged as well?

Yes, I did. I can't really understand why it worked today and later didn't. I'll just try a bios reset and hope for the best. I really can't think of nothing else. Thank you all for helping me out :)

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
Video cards overheat and cool it cracks the solder on the PCB. That's whay it may work intermittently.

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
dont worry i cleaned my dads graphics card, and a resistor fell off while blowing it out. it had a shed load of dust and kept switching off as well.

he was pissed i had to lend him mine lol

55blader

I did get her a new vga and the same thing. Nothing happens, the monitor still enters stand-by mode. That determined me to try her old vga on another pc and the surprise was that it worked fine :|. I really can't understand whats happening right now… the keyboard leds lights up, the cpu seems to work, what could be the problem? I did reset the bios but nothing happened

System Name Black Dragon Chief
Processor AMD Phenom II 955 (gift from a friend)
Motherboard Asus M4A79 Deluxe (gift from a friendi)
Cooling Stock Phenom II Cooler
Memory Kingston 2x2gb
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6670 1gb DDR3
Storage Segate baracuda 500gb
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster SA100
Case Chieftec BA-02B-B-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200
Power Supply Custom made by MC Steel
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
Psu

Just asking, randomly...

Did you checked your PSU? Try with a diferent PSU, maybe the pc will boot, and also check your RAM modules, use compresed air to check slots for dust.

Happy hunting :cool:

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Does her PC has video on board?

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
the pc is playing games with you lol

so basically its not posting display but turns on. does it beep once with the card in?

check the motherboard (especially the vga slot) for damage. check everything, try one stick of ram, hdd connections etc etc