• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Load shows 0%

Suddenly task manager started showing gpu load at 0%. It would have some load before. Even HWinfo shows 0%. But when I run a game, the OSD and HWinfo shows it being used and looks alright. Goes back to 0% when I exit game. Should I be worried about something?

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Maybe it's just some software's optimization that reduced it's GPU usage

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Are you connected to the GPU or your IGP?

you didnt give us even a single bit of information about your setup

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
i idle between 0%-2% on my desktop
Capture.PNG

if you have all the power savings features turned on; windows and the gpu driver's settings, i'm sure it will go as low as it can.

Maybe it's just some software's optimization that reduced it's GPU usage
Dont know. I forgot to mention. I reset my laptop just this week. And am using afterburner to limit gpu voltage to the lowest possible value to reduce unnecessary power output because my laptop cooling isnt that good and it throttles. Will this cause a problem? I also have cpu undervolted.

I also updated windows and its component through windows update after a long time.

Are you connected to the GPU or your IGP?

you didnt give us even a single bit of information about your setup
Im not sure what you mean connected.
Sorry.
Dell XPS 15 9570
GTX1050Ti Max-Q
16gb Ram
i7-8750H

i idle between 0%-2% on my desktop
View attachment 210282

if you have all the power savings features turned on; windows and the gpu driver's settings, i'm sure it will go as low as it can.
Ah. I guess its normal somewhat. Mine is doing that too.

Update: I just booted up a game and my gpu core clock is frozen at 570MHz, 1.00V...
Update: It was a problem with afterburner, it was showing wrong clocks.. HWinfo showed correctly.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Suddenly task manager started showing gpu load at 0%. It would have some load before. Even HWinfo shows 0%. But when I run a game, the OSD and HWinfo shows it being used and looks alright. Goes back to 0% when I exit game. Should I be worried about something?
No

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Dont know. I forgot to mention. I reset my laptop just this week. And am using afterburner to limit gpu voltage to the lowest possible value to reduce unnecessary power output because my laptop cooling isnt that good and it throttles. Will this cause a problem? I also have cpu undervolted.

I also updated windows and its component through windows update after a long time.

Sorry.
Dell XPS 15 9570
GTX1050Ti Max-Q
16gb Ram
i7-8750H

Since it's a laptop, I'm guessing it's using nvidia optimus, which means your display is connected to the integrated graphics built into your processor, and the nvidia GPU only works with 3D graphics. It's completely normal.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767

Sorry.
Dell XPS 15 9570
GTX1050Ti Max-Q
16gb Ram
i7-8750H

Update: I just booted up a game and my gpu core clock is frozen at 570MHz, 1.00V...
Update: It was a problem with afterburner, it was showing wrong clocks.. HWinfo showed correctly.
i'm sure laptops have a lot of power savings. and if under low 2/3D loads it doesn't switch to the UHD 630 (intel). that might cause a hiccup going in to a load. but don't really know.

got the manual?

:ninja'd:

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Now that's a little more worrying. Maybe you shouldn't tinker with voltages, and let the driver figure out the best way to save power and heat.

I have had this laptop for 2 years and I think this is the first time Im experiencing this. Could it be because of a windows update. My gpu core clock drops as low as 0 now when on desktop. Idle around 140MHz.

Now that's a little more worrying. Maybe you shouldn't tinker with voltages, and let the driver figure out the best way to save power and heat.
Afterburner was just showing wrong readings it seems. I restarted it and is alright.

i'm sure laptops have a lot of power savings. and if under low 2/3D loads it doesn't switch to the UHD 630 (intel). that might cause a hiccup going in to a load. but don't really know.

got the manual?

:ninja'd:
Manual? I dont think I have. Could be in the box. But its in a storage room hidden rn..

I read the guide here

And on a reddit post about laptop thermal throttling. Regarding limiting voltage. It says since we arent increasing the voltage, it wont damage the gpu.

Now I cant get Voltage to display correctly with afterburner. It stays at 0. In everything else it shows fine.. Its one problem after the other..

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Your laptop has two GPU's

You're just looking at readings from the wrong one at times

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
I have had this laptop for 2 years and I think this is the first time Im experiencing this. Could it be because of a windows update. My gpu core clock drops as low as 0 now when on desktop. Idle around 140MHz.

Afterburner was just showing wrong readings it seems. I restarted it and is alright.

Manual? I dont think I have. Could be in the box. But its in a storage room hidden rn..

I read the guide here

And on a reddit post about laptop thermal throttling. Regarding limiting voltage. It says since we arent increasing the voltage, it wont damage the gpu.

Now I cant get Voltage to display correctly with afterburner. It stays at 0. In everything else it shows fine.. Its one problem after the other..
so thats a new toy?
congrats.

having just mostly used desktops i'm not much about laptops, so its mostly foreign to me. but i'm sure the power limits are rather locked down; which will limit things. about the best thing you might want to look at is keeping the temps down; pascales (the gpu arch) is really sensitive, a +/-10c is around 15-30Mhz of boost clock.

put the lappy on a block of ice. :D

p.s. maybe download a copy of the manual from dell and keep it for quick reference for awhile.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Irrelevant.

One can download a digital copy of the owner's manual from the support section of the manufacturer's website.

In fact, this is something I do after I order a major computer component. All of the important manuals are kept on the computer. Often I read the owner's manual once BEFORE the product is delivered.

Manuals, spec sheets, installation guides, whatever. This might also include guides for hardware-specific software like BIOS manuals, SSD utility manuals, etc.

so thats a new toy?
congrats.

having just mostly used desktops i'm not much about laptops, so its mostly foreign to me. but i'm sure the power limits are rather locked down; which will limit things. about the best thing you might want to look at is keeping the temps down; pascales (the gpu arch) is really sensitive, a +/-10c is around 15-30Mhz of boost clock.

put the lappy on a block of ice. :D

p.s. maybe download a copy of the manual from dell and keep it for quick reference for awhile.

Irrelevant.

One can download a digital copy of the owner's manual from the support section of the manufacturer's website.

In fact, this is something I do after I order a major computer component. All of the important manuals are kept on the computer. Often I read the owner's manual once BEFORE the product is delivered.

Manuals, spec sheets, installation guides, whatever. This might also include guides for hardware-specific software like BIOS manuals, SSD utility manuals, etc.

Understandable.

I want to fix the afterburner issue now. Can anyone help me find the code for my gpu

Like the person here got his code for his gpu, and he entered it into the oem file to get his voltage readings.

GPU: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/dell-gtx-1050-ti-max-q.b8521

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Understandable.

I want to fix the afterburner issue now. Can anyone help me find the code for my gpu

Like the person here got his code for his gpu, and he entered it into the oem file to get his voltage readings.

might try that thread mentioned in the solution:

unwinder is AB's developer. he shows up around there often.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Understandable.

It's really hard to follow you. You have repeatedly withheld crucial information about your system/situation. If you put all of the pertinent details in your original post, it would be easier for anyone who walked into this.

So rather than reading one post that lays everything out, I have to read the back and forth of nearly a dozen comments.

And now you are asking about how to fix a third-party software program Afterburner's readouts despite the fact that HWiNFO is returning the correct values. That would really seem to be a software issue with the authors of Afterburner.

I've run plenty of monitoring software over the years and it's only as good as the authors' efforts. It should always be taken with a grain of salt. It's not always clear what is being monitored and how the data is being parsed.

might try that thread mentioned in the solution:

unwinder is AB's developer. he shows up around there often.
Thank you. I'll try that out.
It's really hard to follow you. You have repeatedly withheld crucial information about your system/situation. If you put all of the pertinent details in your original post, it would be easier for anyone who walked into this.

So rather than reading one post that lays everything out, I have to read the back and forth of nearly a dozen comments.

And now you are asking about how to fix a third-party software program Afterburner's readouts despite the fact that HWiNFO is returning the correct values. That would really seem to be a software issue with the authors of Afterburner.

I've run plenty of monitoring software over the years and it's only as good as the authors' efforts. It should always be taken with a grain of salt. It's not always clear what is being monitored and how the data is being parsed.
Sorry about that. When I posted the original thread I was frustrated and worried and was tired trying to figure out if it was a problem or not, so I forgot to include system information at that time. I'll try to fix my future posts. If I am unable to fix the afterburner issue, I will ask elsewhere. Sorry again.

Software Windows 10 Pro
Cool. :)

That's fine. As stated above, you're using Intel's integrated GPU to drive the screen, and the GeForce only kicks in when there is a 3D workload. It doesn't simply idle - it turns itself off completely if it's not under load. That might mess with Afterburner or other monitoring software. If you have GPU-Z, you'll probably see a drop-down menu, similar to this one (ignore my readings, I'm on desktop using dual graphics):

dualgraphics.png

Cool. :)

That's fine. As stated above, you're using Intel's integrated GPU to drive the screen, and the GeForce only kicks in when there is a 3D workload. It doesn't simply idle - it turns itself off completely if it's not under load. That might mess with Afterburner or other monitoring software. If you have GPU-Z, you'll probably see a drop-down menu, similar to this one (ignore my readings, I'm on desktop using dual graphics):

View attachment 210325
Yes. Thank you for all the replies. I was just worried it might be a problem. I dont think I've seen that like that before. And afterburner was just not showing correct readings.

Thank you again. :)