• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU not rendering properly

Polanski_Chung

I bought a RTX4090 some time ago, yet it's not working properly. Lights are not rendered properly ingame, both in destiny2, cyberpunk and even stellaris. Here's an example in cyperpunk which the extremely bright(incorrect one)was using my 4090 and the other is my 3070lp. Same settings thou different resolution. In other games the symptoms are identical
I could say with 99% confidence that it was the card's problem. but here's the thing
RMA'd and the manufacturer told me they didn't find out any problem.
DDU'd and tried as well as re-installed differend version of windows.
MB&CPU running on default setting.
3dmark TES stress, furmark&kombuster, OCCT all doing fine. NO problem
occasicallionally it had some TDR.
Card model is gigabyte 4090 gaming OC
How shall I convience the manufacturer that it needs to be fixed(not an expert but clearly something ain't right)
Would appreciate for any information that could help:)
Upper one is 4090 and lower one is 3070lp
20230128123345_1.jpg

20230128123828_1.jpg

Polanski_Chung

I bought a RTX4090 some time ago, yet it's not working properly. Lights are not rendered properly ingame, both in destiny2, cyberpunk and even stellaris. Here's an example in cyperpunk which the extremely bright(incorrect one)was using my 4090 and the other is my 3070lp. Same settings thou different resolution. In other games the symptoms are identical
I could say with 99% confidence that it was the card's problem. but here's the thing
DDU'd and tried as well as re-installed differend version of windows.
MB&CPU running on default setting.
I tried both the stress test and the VRAM test, with verification of course both are fine and reported no errors at all.
occasicallionally it had some TDR.
Card model is gigabyte 4090 gaming OC
How shall I convience the manufacturer that it needs to be fixed(not an expert but clearly something ain't right)
Would appreciate for any information that could help:)
Upper one is 4090 and lower one is 3070lp
I don't think it's normal for an RTX4090 to behave like this, as shown, it renders the light far too strong. This problem is also identical in some other games. Pretty sure I didn't have HDR or anything like that on. Tho the angle is a little bit different but i should cause no such difference
Would greatly appreciate if anyone could help!
4193D4F5-4FAF-466E-A4E5-4BDCF6775CC5.jpeg

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
There might be an option to disable bloom either in the game or with nvinspector or in your graphic's drivers Nvidia control panel. Are you using nvidia geforce experience? Could try the non experience (driver only) install.

Polanski_Chung

There might be an option to disable bloom either in the game or with nvinspector or in your graphic's drivers Nvidia control panel. Are you using nvidia geforce experience? Could try the non experience (driver only) install.
There is identical problem in other games, cyberpunk doesn't offer an option to disable bloom tho. Ssed driver without gfe, no help. I never used any of the features in gfe except shadowplay btw.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
There is identical problem in other games, cyberpunk doesn't offer an option to disable bloom tho. Ssed driver without gfe, no help. I never used any of the features in gfe except shadowplay btw.
Okay, I was just curious if it was a result of GFE attempting to find the "best possible" settings profile for each game.
I'd try nvidia inspector and see if you can disable bloom.

Looks like some form of HDR (or bloom); is there no setting to turn off HDR?
Maybe it's some new illumination feature of 4000 series? Restore defaults in nvCP.
I wonder how it looks on the latest radeon, if someone could post a screenshot? How about you @eidairaman1, snickering there?

Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
I tried both the stress test and the VRAM test, with verification of course both are fine and reported no errors at all.
How shall I convience the manufacturer that it needs to be fixed
I don't think it's normal for an RTX4090 to behave like this, as shown, it renders the light far too strong.
Pretty sure I didn't have HDR or anything like that on. Tho the angle is a little bit different but i should cause no such difference
I tend to agree with the manufacturer. I don't see a GPU problem.
"Pretty sure" you don't have HDR on? I would have been absolutely sure before RMA'ing anything.
I think all your testing was completely unrelated to what you are seeing. Furmark an OCCT?:kookoo:
For now, I would abandon the idea of trying to convince the manufacturer to fix something.
Cyberpunk has always had lighting issues with all kinds of hardware so I wouldn't base anything on that mess.
RT on/off?
Maybe try turning settings down or off until it looks more like the 3070? No lense flare, chromatic abberation, etc.
Do you have an HDR monitor? Make sure it's off in Windows AND the game if it has HDR.
Good luck and I hope you can enjoy your card soon!

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Are you sure it's the exact same settings ? Cyberpunk has some bug with settings not applying properly.

HDR differences would not show up on a screenshot.

Are you sure it's the exact same settings ? Cyberpunk has some bug with settings not applying properly.
From what I know, you have to set the settings, click apply, go out of the game (to windows) and again start it up to be really sure the new settings are applied.

Polanski_Chung

From what I know, you have to set the settings, click apply, go out of the game (to windows) and again start it up to be really sure the new settings are applied.
Looks like some form of HDR (or bloom); is there no setting to turn off HDR?
Maybe it's some new illumination feature of 4000 series? Restore defaults in nvCP.
I wonder how it looks on the latest radeon, if someone could post a screenshot? How about you @eidairaman1, snickering there?
additional video added, different game clearly something ain't right, nothing to do with hdr

clearly something ain't right, nothing to do with hdr
You're right, that sort of flashing should not be seen. Looks like as if the core is not stable. But that would show in all 3D apps at high clocks. Maybe it's a driver problem? Try sending the same video and above comparison screenshots to the manufacture, to see what they say. Try to find as many applications/games with such problems (if there are others), record them and send them.

Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
HDR differences would not show up on a screenshot.
Actually HDR difference do show in screenshots, and they look a bit like the first examples from OP.
Win+Alt+PrtSc and to a lesser degree Ctrl+PrtSc, both produce visible differences with HDR on.
The shot on the left looks too bright because it's taken with HDR on. It's from a .jxr file.
small.png

additional video added, different game clearly something ain't right, nothing to do with hdr
This video looks a bit different than the first example, and in this case I would agree - something ain't right, and not HDR issue.

You might try to underclock core and vram seperately to see if it goes away. That might narrow things down.
Ideally you would have pictures/video to demonstrate the issue, along with clear steps that the RMA department can reproduce.
Is that first video Destiny? It's good to show a problem. The second one is a game I dont know, and AFAIK that's normal.
Maybe find a common and free benchmark or tech demo that demostrates the problem so they dont have to find specific spots in specific games.
If they just test it like you did(firestrike, etc) and it looks fine what can they do? Make it easy for them to see what you see.
If you have to RMA again all I can suggest is be polite, be patient, and be persistant. I hope you get it worked out. Happy gaming!

Polanski_Chung

Actually HDR difference do show in screenshots, and they look a bit like the first examples from OP.
Win+Alt+PrtSc and to a lesser degree Ctrl+PrtSc, both produce visible differences with HDR on.
The shot on the left looks too bright because it's taken with HDR on. It's from a .jxr file.
View attachment 282010

This video looks a bit different than the first example, and in this case I would agree - something ain't right, and not HDR issue.

You might try to underclock core and vram seperately to see if it goes away. That might narrow things down.
Ideally you would have pictures/video to demonstrate the issue, along with clear steps that the RMA department can reproduce.
Is that first video Destiny? It's good to show a problem. The second one is a game I dont know, and AFAIK that's normal.
Maybe find a common and free benchmark or tech demo that demostrates the problem so they dont have to find specific spots in specific games.
If they just test it like you did(firestrike, etc) and it looks fine what can they do? Make it easy for them to see what you see.
If you have to RMA again all I can suggest is be polite, be patient, and be persistant. I hope you get it worked out. Happy gaming!
Thanks for you advice, unfortunatelly, I haven't find some ways that would easily re-produce the problem. Yep the game is destiny.
Also, I had TDR with(default) And this time a bit different. this showed up
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 6, TPC 0, SM 1): API Stack ErrorGraphics SM Warp Exception
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x5347b0=0x2 0x5347b4=0x0 0x5347a8=0x5800040 0x5347ac=0x0
Tried undervolting not helping.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I really don't know what to say, it's hard to tell if this really is some kind of artifacting, it's not like games are 100% free of graphical bugs of their own. The thing is that most people are unaware of is that slight rendering differences do exist from generation to generation because the shaders need to be recompiled for a different architecture every time that happens and slight changes and errors can be introduced most of which going unnoticed.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
This!
If you underclock (not undervolt!) any of these and the problem goes away, you have your culprit. If not, it's still a a likely hardware fault that the manufacturer will have to sort out. But make sure you send the manufacturer enough material first and they admit there's a problem. Only then it makes sense to send the card as well.

Inspect the card visually, too, if you can. You could spot an iffy solder or something like that.

Polanski_Chung

This!
If you underclock (not undervolt!) any of these and the problem goes away, you have your culprit. If not, it's still a a likely hardware fault that the manufacturer will have to sort out. But make sure you send the manufacturer enough material first and they admit there's a problem. Only then it makes sense to send the card as well.

Inspect the card visually, too, if you can. You could spot an iffy solder or something like that.
yeah underclocked it, no help
well, no smell, I can't dismantle it obviously

I really don't know what to say, it's hard to tell if this really is some kind of artifacting, it's not like games are 100% free of graphical bugs of their own. The thing is that most people are unaware of is that slight rendering differences do exist from generation to generation because the shaders need to be recompiled for a different architecture every time that happens and slight changes and errors can be introduced most of which going unnoticed.
For the first point, I would agree. But I have 3 games with identical problem, Destiny, 2077 and stellaris. For the second part, this is far beyond a slight rendering difference