• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gpu only works in safe mode or without drivers

buki_chan

I'm on windows 7.

My gpu is nvidia 770.

First thing that happened, was I was playing a game, and the game closed itself and gave an error. A bubble popped up and said something like "display adapter stopped and successfully started again".

I tried playing the game again, and it froze my whole pc, but the sound kept going.

A few days later I played a different game, it closed and gave an error that said "device removed, please restart game". Now I download the latest driver for my card, try the game again, and this time it freezes my whole pc, but the sound kept going.

When I turn the computer back on, I start a virus scan, but the computer freezes while scanning, so I restart it again, and it says "need to check integrity of the disk", it took a while doing that, and I think it found no problems. But when the pc gets to the desktop, the whole screen freezes, but I can move my mouse around. It stayed like that for 10 or 20 minutes, so I restart it again.

When it comes back on, it is in low resolution and theres green dots all over the screen. I roll back the driver, then restart, and now the gpu doesn't give any signal at all.

After this I try a different gpu that I know works, I tried it in 2 different slots, but it gave the same problem of no signal.

So I dust the computer, then the other gpu works.

I try the original gpu again, and it gives a signal long enough so I can see the windows logo, but after that, it stops the signal, when I restart it gives me the option for safe mode, so I do that, and it works.

I tried uninstalling and installing a few different versions of drivers, and nothing fixed it.

So is my gpu broken? Is there anything I can do to fix it? I read on here that lots of crashes could corrupt a gpu's bios, so if that's what happened, could flashing its bios fix it?

And what could have caused this? I did have lots of dust on it, i really only cleaned it once. But I didn't think it was overheating, since I used some program to turn the fans up before, and they got pretty loud, but I never heard the fans get that loud. I'd think the fans would turn up before it overheated.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Hmm, that means the gpu is not stable enough to load drivers in windows, hence why it works in safe mode on basic drivers. Have you owned this gpu since new? It's aircooled too right?

buki_chan

Hmm, that means the gpu is not stable enough to load drivers in windows, hence why it works in safe mode on basic drivers. Have you owned this gpu since new? It's aircooled too right?
ya since new, and ya its aircooled.

It had lots of dust on it, but I always assumed it never got hot since I never heard the fans go up. I did make the fans go up in some program once and they were pretty loud, so I'd think that if it was overheating, the fans would go up that loud way before that.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Uninstall all display drivers and then perform a cleanup with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from safe mode.

Take the PC outside, open the case, and remove all the dust with air blower or hair dryer with a cold setting.

Remove the graphics card and blow some air in the x16 PCI express slot.

Carefully remove the heatsink from the graphics card and clean the fans with a toothbrush.

Clean the graphic cards with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Especially the GPU area and PCIe pins.

When you're done, reapply thermal paste on the GPU, remount the heatsink, plug it back in.

Download and install the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.

If the graphics card still doesn't work, check if it's under warranty, if it is, just RMA it.

If warranty expired, consider sending it to graphics cards repair lab, if there isn't any in your area, you can try the oven trick as the last resort.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
If the graphics card still doesn't work, check if it's under warranty, if it is, just RMA it.

Not going to be any warranty left on a 2013 GPU...

System Name "Big E"
Processor I5 2400
Motherboard Intel DQ67OW
Cooling Scythe Samurai ZZ
Memory 4 X 2 Gb Kingmax 1333
Video Card(s) MSI RX470 gaming x 4gb
Storage samsung F3 500 GB
Display(s) Acer S271HLBbid
Case "Big E"
Power Supply Gembird 450 W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software W10 LTSC
Benchmark Scores Nothing worthy to mention
I just bought some brand new Samsung DDR3 modules that according to SPD were made in 2013. You can never know.

Ram manufacturers give lifetime warranties usually.
IMHO that GPU is dead.I've seen those symptoms before.
If you are really desperate try reballing , reflow and other techniques of doubtful results

OP: how old is your power source?
IF its more that 5 years old you might consider changing it.

buki_chan

Ram manufacturers give lifetime warranties usually.
IMHO that GPU is dead.I've seen those symptoms before.
If you are really desperate try reballing , reflow and other techniques of doubtful results

OP: how old is your power source?
IF its more that 5 years old you might consider changing it.

i think its about 5 years old.

and thnx everyone, ill try some of this someday

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
I'm on windows 7.

When I turn the computer back on, I start a virus scan, but the computer freezes while scanning, so I restart it again, and it says "need to check integrity of the disk",

You might looking at the wrong direction.
CPU heatsink this might be out of place and or cooler pins be damaged.
If No1 suspect (CPU cooler) this is intact, next prime suspect this is the PSU electrical condition = retest by another PSU.
No3 suspect this could be GPU cooler = DC fan