• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU randomly making screen go black?

hcwwaffles

Processor Intel i5-2400s
Motherboard Gigabyte GA‑H67MA‑USB3‑B3
Memory 8gb ram
Video Card(s) Msi GTX 960 4G
Power Supply Rosewill - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
About a week ago, I was playing a game on my PC when the screen suddenly went black, the monitor said that apparently nothing was connected to it. The fix for that was to shut computer off and turn it back on, but then it became a frequent thing even outside of games. It'd stay on for a while, then the monitor would disconnect. I assumed that the monitor was the issue at first. But after testing out 3 different monitors, the issue still remained. I ended up updating the drivers for the GPU (didn't work), uninstalling all of my drivers, then installing them, and it still kept happening. I suspected the power supply of being the culprit but the lights on the GPU were still on, along with everything else when the screen turned off, and i could still hear sound coming from the game or videos. I disconnected the VGA cable I was using on m first monitor and connected it to my motherboard, after using the on board GPU my motherboard had, it worked fine, and the issue was gone. I've spent hours looking for solutions ranging from checking to see if the issue was something as simple as the settings for the PC having a sleep timer or the screen savers being the issue. But nothing has worked thus far. I would really appreciate the help, Thank you.

GPU: GTX 960 4gb

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
About a week ago, I was playing a game on my PC when the screen suddenly went black, the monitor said that apparently nothing was connected to it. The fix for that was to shut computer off and turn it back on, but then it became a frequent thing even outside of games. It'd stay on for a while, then the monitor would disconnect. I assumed that the monitor was the issue at first. But after testing out 3 different monitors, the issue still remained. I ended up updating the drivers for the GPU (didn't work), uninstalling all of my drivers, then installing them, and it still kept happening. I suspected the power supply of being the culprit but the lights on the GPU were still on, along with everything else when the screen turned off, and i could still hear sound coming from the game or videos. I disconnected the VGA cable I was using on m first monitor and connected it to my motherboard, after using the on board GPU my motherboard had, it worked fine, and the issue was gone. I've spent hours looking for solutions ranging from checking to see if the issue was something as simple as the settings for the PC having a sleep timer or the screen savers being the issue. But nothing has worked thus far. I would really appreciate the help, Thank you.

GPU: GTX 960 4gb

We need complete and thorough system specs, gpu and 8GB of ram doesnt help us any.

hcwwaffles

Processor Intel i5-2400s
Memory 8gb ram
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA‑H67MA‑USB3‑B3
Cpu: Intel i5-2400s
Ram: 8gb
Power Supply: 750w

We need complete and thorough system specs, gpu and 8GB of ram doesnt help us any.
Is that fine?

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
As you are now using integrated gpu you can remove gtx960, carefully detach the fan shroud, clean the heatsink and fans, put back together and then re-seat back to the pci-e slot and reconnect to see if it's:
a) the case of dust caused connectivity issues or maybe
b) the heat is affecting some component on the pcb (that you can't actually detect with gpu temperature sensor).

hcwwaffles

Processor Intel i5-2400s
Memory 8gb ram
As you are now using integrated gpu you can remove gtx960, carefully detach the fan shroud, clean the heatsink and fans, put back together and then re-seat back to the pci-e slot and reconnect to see if it's:
b) the heat is affecting some component on the pcb (that you can't actually detect with gpu temperature sensor).
MSI afterburner tells me the Gpu is running pretty cool, but alright ill try it out.

There was no dust inside the heat sinks, I put everything back but the issue is still happening.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA‑H67MA‑USB3‑B3
Cpu: Intel i5-2400s
Ram: 8gb
Power Supply: 750w

Is that fine?

What brand and model of psu?

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
So it's happening randomly even on web and in desktop ... maybe reset nvidia control panel settings to defaults first, then try fiddling with power settings ... maybe even try disabling msi afterburner to see if it's maybe driver version incompatibility or RivaTuner thing ... i'm out of ideas
Try different modular power supply port and/or cable that gpu uses?
Try the other pci-e slot?
Now I'm really out of ideas.

Last edited:
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Create a new admin Profile on your PC which means this >>>> (Set up a different log on) restart your PC and log onto the NEW ADMIN account and retest. This will bring you back to default settings in everything Windows and all its apps and will let you know if it is a settings issue or a different issue like Nvidia driver version.. Report back with results. Welcome to TPU :lovetpu:

hcwwaffles

Processor Intel i5-2400s
Memory 8gb ram
Create a new admin Profile on your PC which means this >>>> (Set up a different log on) restart your PC and log onto the NEW ADMIN account and retest. This will bring you back to default settings in everything Windows and all its apps and will let you know if it is a settings issue or a different issue like Nvidia driver version.. Report back with results. Welcome to TPU :lovetpu:

Just tried making a new admin account, did not work.
Also i forgot to mention, when the issue first started occurring, i was getting this error popup on my screen saying

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library,
Runtime Error!
Program: C...
This application has requested the Run time to terminate it in an unusual way"

It kept popping up earlier this week and it lead to me using a DDU to completely rid of the drivers, then reinstalling and them. Uninstalled all things related to Microsoft Run time, and reinstalled them. After that the pop up stopped showing up, but the issue with the black screen still occurred.

Does the black screen probably have something to do with Runtime?

Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Ah I see, What I would do is reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ , then reboot and reinstall the Nvidia suite and retest again and report back. What version you installing of the Nvidia driver? Maybe try version 388.71 ....then report back...thank you. Be sure too do the installs in the order above.

hcwwaffles

Processor Intel i5-2400s
Memory 8gb ram
Ah I see, What I would do is reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ , then reboot and reinstall the Nvidia suite and retest again and report back. What version you installing of the Nvidia driver? Maybe try version 388.71 ....then report back...thank you. Be sure too do the installs in the order above.
The version of my driver is 390.77, i just tried doing it in that order but the problem still remains. I updated back to the latest driver right now, also thank you for the feedback I appreciate it.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
Just tried making a new admin account, did not work.
Also i forgot to mention, when the issue first started occurring, i was getting this error popup on my screen saying

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library,
Runtime Error!
Program: C...
This application has requested the Run time to terminate it in an unusual way"

It kept popping up earlier this week and it lead to me using a DDU to completely rid of the drivers, then reinstalling and them. Uninstalled all things related to Microsoft Run time, and reinstalled them. After that the pop up stopped showing up, but the issue with the black screen still occurred.

Does the black screen probably have something to do with Runtime?

i think the black screen means a faulty or unstable gpu that is crashing the video display.... unless you enjoy trying everything else on the plant i would follow the faulty gpu route..

trog

Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
i think the black screen means a faulty or unstable gpu that is crashing the video display.... unless you enjoy trying everything else on the plant i would follow the faulty gpu route..

trog
Yup I would also now recomend that you try your GTX 960 4GB in a different PC and see if it has the same issue. If so then the GTX is faulty. If not we have more work to do yet.

hcwwaffles

Processor Intel i5-2400s
Memory 8gb ram
Yup I would also now recomend that you try your GTX 960 4GB in a different PC and see if it has the same issue. If so then the GTX is faulty. If not we have more work to do yet.
Alright ill go test it on my neighbors PC.

I just tried it on my neighbors PC, and so far there hasn't been any issue with gaming, nor searching through the web. So I guess the GPU isn't faulty

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Alright ill go test it on my neighbors PC.

I just tried it on my neighbors PC, and so far there hasn't been any issue with gaming, nor searching through the web. So I guess the GPU isn't faulty

What brand and model psu do you have?

@ this point its, psu, motherboard, ram, cpu or os is borked

hcwwaffles

Processor Intel i5-2400s
Memory 8gb ram
I think I fixed the issue,

I believe the issue was related to the power supply, i had previously changed out 2 cables (to connect power supply to GPU) and still had the same problem. But now the issue seems to have stopped after buying another cable and use it. Thanks to everyone who gave feedback i really appreciate all the help. If Issues arise ill be sure to update,thank you.

Processor i7—4770
Motherboard ASUS H81_M
Cooling Fan
Memory 8Gb DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
Power Supply 550W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L RGB
I am facing the same problem with you,may I know what cable are you using?

Capri

i had the same problem and i found it was my PSU , i recently upgraded from a 350w to a 850w when i had my 1060 and it would just go black and fans would go to 100%. i changed back to my 350w and jt never happened again

1clutch3

I need help my gpu keeps on turning off like my monitor would go black and realize I look to my pc that the light are off from gpu sometimes it would restarts it self but most of the time I have to press the restarted button. I seen that it could be my power supply but idk if it was right cause it was More than 5 year old.
My specs are
Ryzen 9 3950x
Msi mpg edge mobo
Rtx 2080ti founder edition
64gb Warhawk ram
750rm Corsair power supply
Currently doing some msi afterburners test and some benchmarks test but it seem that it managed to get through it without turning off.

BigtimeGamer

I have a question about black blotchy areas coming up onto my screen while I'm playing Call of Duty.

I7 8700k
16gb ram
Windows 10
Aouros rtx 2080
850w psu
Asus z390+ mobo
49" super wide samsung 5120x1440

My GPU stays under 65. My computer says it's pushing 100 -130 FPS while in game.
I have v-sync off.

Call of Duty is the only game that seems to go black. What is really weird about the black blotches is that if I turn my character 180 degrees the opposite direction to look at new landscape the black blotcheyness will go away. It is almost as if when I move quickly the black blotcheyness gets erased.

I have turned down the resolution and the graphics and it does not seem to make a difference

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
If just one game goes black then something wrong with the game. Update drivers and contact the publisher.

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard msi mag x570 tomahawk
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240V2 / asiahorse fs9002 120mm fans
Memory 2 x 16gb g.skill trident z neo 3600
Video Card(s) msi gaming X 2070 super 8gb
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Display(s) lg ultragear 2560x1440 144hz 1ms 27"ips
Case nzxt h510i
Audio Device(s) logitech g635 / creative sound blaster
Power Supply evga supernova 750ga 80 plus gold
Mouse logitech g402 hyperion fury
Keyboard corsair k55
BigTimeGamer have you tried resetting your shaders? That game is well known to have shader issues and oddities.

BigtimeGamer

BigTimeGamer have you tried resetting your shaders? That game is well known to have shader issues and oddities.
The shaders reinstall with each update...
I'll have to look into how to reset shaders cuz that is something I have not tried yet.

Also, I should say I have deleted and reinstalled the entire game more than once.

It probably has something to do with the shaders. The black blotchy spots seem to only appear when I am sniping and looking at a lot of area at one time

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard msi mag x570 tomahawk
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240V2 / asiahorse fs9002 120mm fans
Memory 2 x 16gb g.skill trident z neo 3600
Video Card(s) msi gaming X 2070 super 8gb
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Display(s) lg ultragear 2560x1440 144hz 1ms 27"ips
Case nzxt h510i
Audio Device(s) logitech g635 / creative sound blaster
Power Supply evga supernova 750ga 80 plus gold
Mouse logitech g402 hyperion fury
Keyboard corsair k55
Yes, that's the odd part. I've never encountered a game that messed with it's shaders every update install like that. I think it's a bit ridiculous and I'm surprised they still haven't done something about that. I never had an issue with blotches but it sounds like it could potentially be shader related and i just figured it might be worth a shot before you go trying other more complicated or timely solutions.

adamesalles

Guys, I'm facing the very same issue from de first message. I have recently changed my PSU to a Corsair 550W from a 300w cheap one (that, I think, was faulty). And also changed my MB to a MSI B250m from a cheap H110m.

I have a PNY 1050ti, and when I use my integrated video card (of i5 7400) it works very very well.

Sometimes, with 1050ti, I can use for days, play a lot of games. But, other times, I can't use for even few minutes.

I am using Windows 10 here, but, for study, I use linux in my notebook. So, I have tested in a Live CD and the issue came up, sudden black screen.

Can someone help me? I really have to solve this in a cheap way.

Configs:
MSI b250m pro-vh
PNY 1050ti
ADATA/HyperX 16gb ram 2400MHz
i5 7400
Corsair CX550