• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU RPMs ramping up and down!

OttoOstera

Hey all!

I'm new here, looking for some help to discard having to send my GPU back for swapping to Nvidia.

I have a 2080 Super FE, and I've been noticing some strange behavior. I'm not usually that savy, so I spent some time fiddling with Afterburner to see if I could fix it with some custom fan speed curves. To no avail, unfortunately.

I attach the picture of the monitoring. And this is the issue:

- When I'm putting the GPU under heavy load (I work with UE4) it starts ramping up as normal. Marked by green dots. ****
- When the fans hit 60% speed, the RPMs on fan2 start peaking up and down like crazy. Marked by red dots. *****
- I tried ramping the fans up by hand on AfterBurner and the RPMs correspond perfectly with the % speed. Marked by yellow dots. *****

This happens over and over. So this basically tells me that when fan 2 is pushed over 60% the RPMs start borking. The second I close my heavy GPU applications and the RPMs go down after a short few seconds the RPMs go back to normal.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm hoping I don't have to send it back and get a new one, since I use it for work! But we will see
:)

Thanks all!
Otto

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    43 KB · Views: 461

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Youre not the only 1, id rma the card

OttoOstera

Oh! Do you have any ideas what this might be? Is it common? I couldn't find many instances of people talking about this online.

Thanks!
Otto

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Make sure you clear the heatsink and such of dust... consider setting a static fan speed less than 60% so it doesn't do it.

Otherwise, I'd start the RMA process.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Oh! Do you have any ideas what this might be? Is it common? I couldn't find many instances of people talking about this online.

Thanks!
Otto
Something failed on the card, not sure exactly what but ive encountered 2 or 3 for the same exact problem so yes an RMA will give you peace of mind at this rate.

By the way what are your system specs and when did you encounter this problem?

Are you on current drivers or older drivers when this problem happened?

OttoOstera

The PC is new, so there is no dust (yet :p)

I contacted NVIDIAs support and they guided me through a thorough reinstall of the drivers and that was it. Still the same. The pattern has changed though, since now it doesnt seem to be related to the fan speeds at all. Any stress will trigger it.

capture3.PNG

And seems way more pikey as well. Hard to tell what it can be. I might start the RMA process.

My specs are:
- ASUS TUF Gaming x750-plus wifi
- Ryzen 7 3700
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
- 128gb ddr4
- A nvme r.2 1TB disk (dont remember the brand nor model)

Any other ideas I should try?

Thanks a lot!
Otto

1. One option in my experience is to avoid FE cards. The issue appears to be far less prevalent on AIB cards.

2. It's an issue we see often with CPU control. In instances where the load is not constant, and even when it is, the fans ramp up due to the increased load creating more heat ... When there's not a lot of thermal mass present, the increased cooling, drops temps which tells the fans to spin down ... when cooling drops, heat again rises and we have a cyclic whiring sound of the control system chasing its tail so to speak. MoBo utilies packed with the mid to high range boards come with more sophisticated control schemes, allowing the user to set ramp up and ramp down delays It would be a nice addition to MSI AB if we could do this w/ GFX cards. Im not much enthused about a wide range of control in tamping up,,,, but a ramp down feature would be useful here.

3. Lacking the above, I'd start with a call to support and if they can't fix it, obtain an RMA authorizatin.

Is this the issue you are having ? If so, i RMA my card, they refunded the money, no explanation on the reason. But i guess it was a faulty fan controller on the board.

OttoOstera

I've RMAd the card. No solution found :( IF you have this problem, RMA right away, NVIDIA recognized it as an exchange immediately.

Thanks all!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I've RMAd the card. No solution found :( IF you have this problem, RMA right away, NVIDIA recognized it as an exchange immediately.

Thanks all!

Yup you aren't the only 1, seems a like a lot of green defects...