• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU temperatures in Furmark vs. CCC/ RBE fan settings

Marc_lux

Processor AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Motherboard ASRock 890fx deluxe3
Cooling 2x140mm + 2x120mm + 1x40mm
Memory 2x2GB A DATA 2000G v.2
Video Card(s) 2xHD5830 (HIS+Sapphire)
Storage 2xWD Black Caviar 640GB SATA3
Display(s) HP w2207
Case Aerocool PGS-B BX-500
Audio Device(s) VIA VT2020 THX TruStudio
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Software Win7 64bit HE, Ubuntu 64bit
Benchmark Scores futuremark vantage performance: 17k futuremark vantage high : 14k ish
Hi guys,

I am running 2 cards in crossfire. 1 Sapphire HD5830 and one HIS HD5830.
I was looking to change the VBIOS fan settings because the HIS always appeared hotter in CCC/GPU-Z than the Sapphire. When gaming, it's about 10°-20°C difference. When I compared the too fan performances, I found that the Sapphire is more reactive towards temperature than the HIS. The HIS is only speeding up very slowly.

So I decided to download RBE and check the BIOSes. I found that both BIOSes have really good settings and both have exactly the same fan settings (temp. tresholds etc.). After that, I was confused because Catalyst doesn't tell me that at all. It always gives different fan % for similar temperatures. And in the long run, the HIS is always hotter (slave) and has less fan % load. That was the reason why I thought a BIOS tweak would be considerable before knowing that the settings in BIOS are the same.

Then I downloaded the new Furmark app. for multi GPU. Fur mark gives me same temperatures on both GPUs, being compatible with what the BIOS says (same fan settings).

So:

could it be that CCC reads the temps and fan rpm % awfully bad for my second card (HIS)?

could it be that the 2 BIOS, being different versions, give different values to CCC? Should I flash 1 of the BIOSes?

Changing the BIOS settings now seems pointless as they, theoretically, are set up in the same way. So I left everything at default.

I do not want to OC my cards, just want to get the temps on my HIS down. If Furmark is right, then they are already similar. If CCC is right, there must be some kind of misreading going on, because same BIOS settings+different temp.+fan% values = not coherent.

To illustrate, some pics are attached. Note: upper curve in Furmark is the Sapphire. For GPU-Z/CCC, the Sapphire is linkted to my monitor [HP w2207]. (look at fan speeds vs. temperature in CCC, normally gap in temp is bigger and gap but gap in fan speed is illustrative). I also attached a bios screenshot to show the difference between BIOS settings and reality.

Thank you in advance,

Marc.

Attachments

• 1web.jpg
    1web.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 597
  • 2web.jpg
    2web.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 694
  • cypressS.gif
    cypressS.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 710
  • CypressHIS.gif
    CypressHIS.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 751
  • biosHIS.jpg
    biosHIS.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
from the screen shot it looks fine
when you run multi vga card (sli or cross fire) you need to make sure you have nice air flow in your case
what about the cooler? is that same (like reference cooler)?
which one that go hotter? the 1st card or 2nd card? 1st card that near processor could have heat more coz it has limited space to draw fresh air so it may reduce how fast the heat released than the 2nd card

Marc_lux

Display(s) HP w2207
Benchmark Scores futuremark vantage performance: 17k futuremark vantage high : 14k ish
Well for me it does not look fine. The max GPU temperature I get in games on my HIS is 92°C in BFBC2. The fan then spins only about 40%. The Sapphire then reads 70°-75° and the fan goes 50-60%.

My case ventilation is extensive: 2X140mm on top, 1x 120mm back, 1x120mm front, 1x 120mm pointing at GPUs, 90mm on bottom under the HIS GPU. CPU cooling is decent too (29° idle 44°max). chipset is actively cooled...

It is the secondary card on bottom that becomes hotter (HIS). The top one is cooler as primary card.

Both cards have reference PCB but custom cooler (iVcooler and Sapphire's "big fan cooler").

I have to mention that the room temperature is about 18°C in here. In summer, I had up to 30°C last year. This summer will kill my card I fear.

Notice that the cards were only loading for a few minutes on the screen shots. The screen shots are not about the temeratures but rather about the bis difference in fan drive configuration in the BIOS (note the difference in spin between both at different temperatures).

System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit
have you run it stand alone and see how the temp goes?
checked the fan? Or check it by your finger is that really hot or just there any err on thermal sensor
have you tried setting the fan speed manually? Does it work?
if theres no something strange on performance it means the vga is ok
it should be any mistake on could be the fan, hsf, thermal paste. Since many board put their warranty sticker on the screw, there little chance you could open it without break it, you better claim that

Last edited:

Marc_lux

Display(s) HP w2207
yes I ran it standalone and it gave me similar temperatures. The fan is alright, I can control it manually. When I sert it to the same percentage as the sapphire, it gives the same heat output at full load. The performance is alright. no artifacts, no crashes/freezes... just HEAT! there's very hot air coming out of the back, like an oven :laugh:. So I guess they have made a BIOS with low fan drive. Actually they once updated the hd5830 at HIS and put another BIOS version on it. The new one is less noisy but hotter (apparently). the old one was 50% fan speed idle I read at 3dguru's. Many people found that annoying and they set it down to 21% idle and 40% @ 87/88°C apparently. The Sapphire is behaving just like in the BIOS profile I uploaded.

System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit
yes I ran it standalone and it gave me similar temperatures. The fan is alright, I can control it manually. When I sert it to the same percentage as the sapphire, it gives the same heat output at full load. The performance is alright. no artifacts, no crashes/freezes... just HEAT! there's very hot air coming out of the back, like an oven :laugh:. So I guess they have made a BIOS with low fan drive. Actually they once updated the hd5830 at HIS and put another BIOS version on it. The new one is less noisy but hotter (apparently). the old one was 50% fan speed idle I read at 3dguru's. Many people found that annoying and they set it down to 21% idle and 40% @ 87/88°C apparently. The Sapphire is behaving just like in the BIOS profile I uploaded.

:ohwell: could be the problem, since you said just heat it everything just fine (the board, hsf, and the fan) and the only thing left is bios
i guess its up to you now: reflash it or claim it (if possible) :D

Marc_lux

Display(s) HP w2207
In fact, I asked the tech crew to give me a new BIOS. I hope I will get one with a little more juice behind the fans. With RBE editor, the bios settings read the same as for the Sapphire. So somehow, they must have used some different kind of BIOS editor.