1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z 0.7.0 - changes to checking for version updates??

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by Naki, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Naki

Thanks Received:
    You missed an important point in the change log:
    - Removed option to check for updates at a certain period, changed to Yes/No choice.

And I have a question also:
    What was wrong with the old choices? Why remove the Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Never choices?
    I and I assume many others were used to that, why is it gone now?

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ah yes, i forgot to mention that.

i was looking into your other report that the choice wasn't saved, then i realized it didn't work at all, so i changed to something that makes more sense.

those options were from back when the update check opened a window and you had to wait for it to complete. it now happens transparently in the background. the whole update check transmits 724 bytes and receives 441 bytes, so completely insignificant

Naki says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Naki

Thanks Received:
    OK, that makes sense now, thanks!
    However, at least some mention of these changes (maybe a very brief one) should be there in the Change Log.

Also, you said it is done transparently now - does that affect the speed that the Info window and/or the GPU monitoring window are shown at? Will it be a bit slower than before, or is the difference negligible?

EDIT: OK, I see your edits above - no need to reply to the speed question. However, it would be nice to have the change mentioned in the change log here:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2234/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.7.0.html
    somehow, even briefly, for example "Improved version check routine". :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it doesn't affect loading time. the updater starts once the main window has finished redrawing for the first time and you can fully use gpuz. it runs in a separate thread so it won't affect anything

Naki says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU