1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z and multiple GPU's

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by [Daniel], Mar 30, 2009.

1. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    Greetings. New GPU-Z user here. I have version 0.3.3 running right now on my i7 rig.

Here's some background leading into my question... I bought a GTX260 Core216 (65nm) back in December. Recently, GTX260's have been dropping in price. In my area, only the non-Core216's were going on sale... so I decided to not "wait and see" and bought a GTX260 (192 Core) to enter the SLI arena with.

But I noticed when I opened the nVidia Control Panel and ran the System Info tool... both cards were reported as Core216 models... I felt like I'd won the lottery for a moment, then questioned how "valid" the reading was. I had heard stories about people receiving the Core216 when they had ordered a vanilla (192), so it was possible.

So I downloaded GPU-Z as a "second opinion", and it reports them the same... almost "too identical" tho... there is not one character anywhere that I can tell the difference between the 2 cards on the main "info" page.

I know I can pull my old card out and try take the readings of just the new on, but I am hoping to avoid that. If GPU-Z "talks" to each card individually, I think I'd happy camper.

So, can I trust this reading? Did GPU-Z query each card independently? Or did it pull information from the "nVidia SysInfo Tool", which may or may not be correct.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Normally if you are running a 216 with a 192, SLI causes both to run as 192SP GTX 260's.

Disable SLI, then see what GPU-Z says between the two.

EDIT: Just seen in GPU-Z SLi is disabled.

Looks like you got lucky and got another 216Sp! :toast:

3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    gpu-z reads from the gpu directly. make sure sli is off. if both are still 216 sp run some benchmarks on one card and then on the other (have just 1 card in the system to be sure)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, you beat me to my edit ;)

Whether I have SLI enabled or disabled, the same information is presented. In the attached scheenshot I added to the original post, you can see SLI is disabled.

5. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    As w1zz says try some BM's, but to me it looks like you got another 216SP sitting there! :D

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Could it be an issue with XP 64?

Anyway, I would do a driver wipe with DriverSweeper, then re-install the drivers. See what it says after that. If it is still the same, I would test with just the new card in the machine.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I never noticed if benchmarks allowed me to point to a specific card... I'll have to check that out.

That is what I did right before adding the new card...
    • uninstalled driver
    • booted into safe mode
    • ran driver sweeper
    • powered off
    • added new card
    • added SLI bridge
    • powered on
    • loaded driver

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    They don't, once you disable SLi, the benchmarks/games will use whichever card the monitor is plugged into.

I would just pull the old card out of the machine and get the readings on the new card alone.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do run multiple monitors. I didn't like how the nVidia driver would occasionally incorrectly handle which was the primary monitor when going in/out of SLI... more times than not, my 19" CRT would get the nod, and that was just plain wrong.

So I moved the 19" to the second (new) video card. What this also allowed me to do was run CUDA GPU-folding instances (one per card) when not in SLI.

So it's too bad the bench tools don't check/ask... I would be ready for it ;)